Build 157 not playing M4A files

Room build 157 stopped playing M4A files on my Meridian system. I have Roon server running headless on a mac mini. Any ideas?

john

Hi @John_McElfresh — Thank you for the report and my apologies for the slow response here. I’d like to gather some more information on your setup and what you are working with so I evaluate the situation accordingly. Please see below. Thanks!

1. Can you please expand on your description of your setup a bit more. (Specifics about your gear, your network configuration, how big of a library you have, how that library is being stored, etc)

2. Are there any other devices you have, that can playback M4A content? Is this isolated to just the Meridian system?

3. Are you able to PM me a sample M4A that isn’t working via a Dropbox download link to test?

-Eric

All of my M4A files stopped working, FLAC are fine. I have a mac mini connected via network to a QNAP NAS with 70,000 songs. Endpoint is a Meridian MC200. The Meridian ControlMac software works fine with this setup, pointing to it’s library on the same NAS. The M4A files, copied off the NAS and played on my MacBook Pro, work fine. It’s just not seeing the M4As at all. It lists the albums, but when I try to click on them, the spinner spins forever and I never see the songs. The M4A files are in perfect shape. Not sure how to do the dropbox.

1 Like

Hi @John_McElfresh ----- Thank you for the follow up and answering my questions. Your observations are indeed, interesting.

Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly. Your M4A files have stopped working while on the QNAP but will playback on your MacBook successfully. No issues with FLAC. Are you noticing at any point while the spinner is going, your track number starts to count down?

No worries about dropbox :sunglasses: I would still like to see if we can reproduce this issue in house and will be contacting you via PM momentarily with instructions on how you can upload content directly to our servers. Thanks!

-Eric

Eric,

To be clear, the M4A files never play through Roon, but play fine in Quicktime. Room won’t even see them. The spinner spins when I try to open an album made of M4A files. It doesn’t count down, nor does it ever stop. Up until now, I’ve had no problems playing thousands of Apple Lossless files in Roon.

John

1 Like

Hi @John_McElfresh ----- Thank you for clarifying that information for me. So to be clear, the M4As have never been able to play in Roon? Are you able to confirm where these M4As came from?

-Eric

Eric,

Sorry to be unclear. The M4A files have played in Roon for the past year. They have ALWAYS played fine. Starting this past build they stopped playing in Roon. I checked their quality by playing a few in Quicktime - they play fine. I ripped all of them to Apple Lossless using iTunes with error correction. The only change was a new version of Roon and they stopped playing and even showing up.

John

1 Like

Hi @John_McElfresh ---- Thank you for the further clarification and insight. Both are very appreciated. I wanted to follow up with you to confirm that I have received the sample content. I will keep you updated on my findings. Thanks!

-Eric

Hi @John_McElfresh ---- Thank you again for the samples, very appreciated! Are you able to confirm for me what version of QTS you are currently running? Thanks!

-Eric

My QNAP TS-469L is running version 4.14 (20150804).

John

1 Like

@John_McElfresh — Thank you for confirming that bit of information for me, very appreciated. I would like to gather some logs from you so our developers can take a look. I will be contacting you via PM shortly with instructions. Thanks!

-Eric

Eric, logs are uploaded. Error occurred about 6:42pm

Thanks,
John

@John_McElfresh ----- Thank you for the follow up and the upload. I wanted to confirm that I have received your logs and this issue has been placed in our queue for review. Once our developers have completed their evaluation I will follow up with you, with their update. We appreciate your patience as we work through this issue. Many thanks!

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: Issues with M4A

Eric,

I would be happy to contact you once the issue is resolved. Thanks for your awesome support.

John

1 Like