Build 162 Dropping Core (RoonServer) Connection

Team:

Since build 162 I’m repeatedly losing my connection to RoonServer. It drops, sometimes between albums or during Artist Play. Goes into looking for Core mode and asks if I want to select another Core. Up until now Roon has been incredibly stable.

A reboot of RoonServer seems to solve things for a while, but then it occurs again. At least four times this afternoon alone.

RoonServer running on Windows 10 dedicated pc.
Wired LAN connection over gigabit switch.
Files on Synology 214+
DAC is Esoteric K-03X
Build 161 on Core, but 162 on iPad. Is that correct? Should Core be on 162 as well?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

We’re things working ok when your iPad was on build 161? Build 162 was a fix for iPhone 7/7+'s and the update is less than a day old. The iOS Build 161 was up for only about 3 days. Were you ever using 161?

Build 161 core is current.

Other than rebooting the iPad and core, we may have to call @support.

Cheers, Greg

I am losing server also, but it is because room server is crashing. If I start Roon up again it plays.

I use the iPad and iPhone apps daily and update them as soon as the updates are available, so I’m sure I was on 161. No issues until today.

IPhone 6S on latest iOS firmware. IPad Mini 4 on latest iOS firmware.

I see the same issues on Android devices since build 161

I’m using a Sony Z2 tablet and Z5 phone, both on latest OS releases

I have another data point for my situation. If I do the following, I always lose the connection.

1. Go Albums, select a DSD 64 title. Select Play Album
  2. While album is playing, select 1 song from a 44.1 title and insert as Next in current playlist.
  3. 44.1 title plays, then Roon fails before going back to DSD 64 song that is next in playlist from Original album.

I get searching for Core dialog and do you want to look for a new Core. I close out, restart RoonServer and I can play music again.

Later today or tomorrow I’m going to see if I can replicate this on my Bryston DAC (BDA-3). All the above was done through the Esoteric K-03X DAC…

I am running a separate core which then talks to PC with RoonBridge running. No issues with this setup until 161. Prior to 158? I did have an issue with sample rate changes in queued songs or a playlist but that was fixed.

@Greg - With 161 I am seeing similar behavior again. But I do not lose connection to the Core machine. The next song just does not play. I do hear my DAC get the sample rate change (relay clicks) and this is usually the time my issue arises.

My ISSUE: What I see is - at the bottom of the display which shows the song and your audio output selection, this goes BLANK and Roon then displays “choose audio zone”. But after 2-5 seconds this goes away and the display is back showing the song and audio output. I do have to hit play to start the song as it is sitting at zero.

Mostly seems to occur when going from a hi-res to Redbook but I have seen it occur the other direction too, redbook to hi-res.

This has not occurred when I play an entire album, play an entire album and skipping to next song before the song finishes, jump to the end of the song and let the next song play, or multiple songs in a queue with the same sample rate.

This does not occur when playing internet radio - same sample rates.

Hi All,

Can we get detailed information about your setup as described in this post?

I see that @scirica has posted this above. @dshore @davidwat @Martin_Kogel, if you could describe your setup too, that would be helpful.

Dan, is this occurring with DSD or any hi-res? How are you controlling music playback? Is it from your core machine?

Let’s call in @support to take a look.

Cheers, Greg

• Core - Intel NUC i5 running Win10 Pro (anniversary patch and all updates done) - RoonServer latest version.
  • Endpoint - J1900 running Win2012R2 Essentials (all patched up to date) - RoonBridge latest version.
  • Remote is iPad Air2 running latest version. Also installed Roon on 2012R2 and used that as remote with same result/issues.
  • DAC is Schitt Yggdrasil
  • Also use a Mutec 3+ USB (this is my ASIO driver)

No issues with this setup until 161 came out. All sample rates were playing fine since the fix for sample rate changes in queue or playlists - prior to Roon v158

When do I have issues - when sample rate changes occur from song to song - Queued songs or Playlists. My DAC changes rate (I hear the relay clicking) then the following occurs:

At the bottom of the display which shows the song and your audio output selection, this goes BLANK and Roon then displays “choose audio zone”. But after 2-5 seconds this goes away and the display is back showing the song and audio output. I do have to hit play to start the song as it is sitting at zero.

Mostly seems to occur when going from a hi-res to Redbook but I have seen it occur the other direction too, redbook to hi-res. Hi-Res can be 24/96 or DSD which is down sampled to 176 by Roon.

This has not occurred when I play an entire album, play an entire album and skipping to next song before the song finishes, jump to the end of the song and let the next song play, or multiple songs in a queue with the same sample rate.

This does not occur when playing internet radio - same sample rates.

Hey Steve,

I just ran through these steps on a very similar setup (Win 10 Core, iPad, wired network, Synology storage). I didn’t have any issues, but @Eric is going to follow up and gather some more information from you, and from @dshore as well.

For the connection issues, can you give us some more details about what’s happening just before this stage:

Are you sleeping the iPad? Switching to a different app? Keeping Roon open and it’s still losing the connection?

What about after you’re in this state? If you go through the process, can you find your Core again and reconnect? When you are in this state, can any other remotes on your network connect, or does the Core seem to be completely dead until you reboot it?

Core nuc6i5 16GB RAM SSD WIN10 Storage at wired NAS

Endpoint on icube connected by wire to WiFi Bridge

Avm audio preamp connected by USB with jitterbug

Problems I see: core is loosing connection to Endpoint. After some seconds Endpoint appears again