Nuc+ rev. B

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP-Link Archer AX-50 running Ethernet to the Nuc+ through a Netgear GS05 switch

Connected Audio Devices

USB to Vega DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

1400 albums

Description of Issue

I received the notice for Build 258 and clicked to Update All. The update started but never completed after several minutes. I opened the browser control page but it timed out. I connected a monitor and there was nothing coming from the Nuc. I tried reboots and power cycles and nothing. I tried a CMOS better reset to no avail.

Question: Can the core be reloaded onto the existing NVMe SSD? Or is a new one needed?

@noris, can you advise please? My Nuc+ is dead since trying to update to Build 258.

Hello @rcaudio ,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the troubles here.

Yes, you can load ROCK on the SSD and we can flash it back to Nucleus remotely, if you want to give this a try you can start from ROCK install instructions, step #3, and onward (do not flash BIOS):

The main issue is that you are not getting any output on HDMI, so you would not be able to flash ROCK onto it. You can try to remove the SSD and press F2 to see if the BIOS shows up, but if it doesn’t then we will need to have it sent in to inspect the unit for failure.

Hi Noris, I’m going to need more info about how to do this. Is a USB keyboard required plugged into one of the ports on the Nucleus? Which port or does it matter. Would a Bluetooth keyboard work with the USB dongle plugged in?

and after multiple tries with a USB keyboard (the only thing I have at the moment), rebooting the NUC then pressing F2 for a long time, I get “roon” splashed across the monitor and then this message: A bootable device has not been detected. It seems to be repeatable, did it three times.

Next steps?

If I need to download the bios, I’ll need to know which one. Screenshot is of my board and I think this is the page of where to find it. Can you confirm or tell me if this is the correct file?
BIOS Update [DNKBLi7v]

thanks

Richard

Still need help please. I flashed the image to a thumb drive, plugged it and the M.2 SSD in and tried to boot but no go.

This is usually a sign that the SSD has a problem. Did you first try @noris 's suggestion to install ROCK on it? It seems as though the HDMI output is working if you are seeing these messages on it…

You don’t need to try updating the BIOS.

I did try, or at least attempted to try to install ROCK. With the SSD installed and pressing F10, I have no HDMI output.

Why are you pressing F10? F2 is used to enter the BIOS settings…

From the ROCK install guide the @noris referenced:
Turn on the NUC and press the F10 key on your keyboard. Continue to hold the F10 key down until you appear at a menu that is asking you which device you’d like to boot from

btw, tried F2 also with same result, no HDMI signal.

Then it looks as though the SSD has failed. Have you tried removing it and then seeing whether the NUC will boot and display the bootup messages on the monitor?

That was the first thing tried per the suggestion from Noris. Here’s a recap of what I’ve done:

1. Removed the SSD, plugged in a monitor to the HDMI port and a keyboard into a USB port (via Bluetooth dongle).
  2. Powered up the Nuc+ and pressed F2. Eventually I saw “roon” splashed across the monitor and then this message: A bootable device has not been detected. (Sidebar: Is this what I should expect?)
  3. I repeated this a couple of more times and got that message each time.
  4. I then followed the ROCK Install Guide beginning at step 3 to download the factory reset disk image and write it to a thumb drive using Etcher.
  5. Then I re-installed the SSD, plugged in the thumb drive with the image, and powered up while pressing F10 as the guide says to do.
  6. I had no response after several tries with the HDMI monitor indicating “no signal”.

My question is, given that I got a response when I removed the SSD, is it worthwhile to use a new SSD and try to install the image? Or is what I’m describing indicating something else wrong? Or is there more to do?

Yes. Given that you see messages on the monitor when the SSD is removed, it seems as though the SSD has failed. So the next step is to replace it and use the ROCK installer to install the ROCK version of Roon OS and Roon on the new SSD. Once that’s done, let @noris know and he will arrange to have the Nucleus version of Roon OS installed on the new SSD remotely.

I can no longer get the “no bootable device” message to come up while pressing F2. I press the reset button and then immediately F2. Is there any timing issue? Otherwise, I presume it’s time to find out the service options?

Could be timing - I usually repeatedly press the relevant Function key until the BIOS reacts. Holding down the key should have the same effect. And why are you trying F2 this time? I thought you would be installing ROCK?

I wanted to make sure I could still get a BIOS message (F2 on bootup with no SSD installed) before buying a new SSD for the ROCK installation (F10 on bootup with SSD installed and an image on a thumb drive). If I can’t get that, I figure it’s probably time for service. Will wait for @noris to advise. thanks

Hi @rcaudio ,

Thanks for your patience here until I reached your thread again.

Yes, this is expected when booting without an SSD installed.

It’s possible that a new SSD will help in case the current one has a hardware failure, but this is not clear yet. I would also suggest taking out and re-seating the RAM, if the RAM has failed then it is possible that this is also preventing a successful boot.

You do not need to update the BIOS.

The recent RoonOS build triggers a full Nucleus reboot, meaning if some system component has been slowly failing but was previously unnoticed, and then the reboot would have caused the system to perform a full boot procedure.

I wonder if it’s possible that the CMOS battery is completely depleted? In this case though, I would expect the unit to boot with the wrong time listed, not fail to boot at all.

Just to confirm, when the boot issue occurs, there is nothing else connected to the Nucleus, no USB DAC or USB storage or anything else like that, correct?

Yes, if you exhaust your options and wish to have us inspect the unit, we can certainly start the RMA process on it. I will send you the form via private message, just in case we have reached this step.

Thanks @noris . It’ll a few days before I can get back to this. If I strike out still, I’ll send in the RMA stuff. thanks

1 Like

Tried once again but no lick getting the boot up message. This unit has been difficult to boot for perhpas the last year or so but I’ve always managed to do get it eventually. Will fill out the RMA. request.

I wondered too but I see it’s not readily replaced by a coin cell, otherwise I’d try it.

Correct, only a monitor via HDMI and keyboard on a USB port.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.