Build 259 UI Changes Feedback Thread

I’m confident that the roon team would make this implementation smart enough (implementing a large enough hysteresis to avoid bang-bang)). In case you have way more party listening than own listening I would guess it is deserved that the system keeps priority on party behavior. But at least in my case I listen more often to music with roon than my party guest (and family) and therefore the system would prioritize my habits. I have nothing against configurability of defaults, but my experience is that the vast majority of users keep the preset defaults. So smart adaptation can increase user friendliness.

true enough, but i still would prefer an option.

Then I could switch when in party mode to add to queue as default and for personal listening, using the current system.

Having said that, I prefer overall the current config. But then I haven’t had a party yet :wink:

1 Like

I haven’t been able to try the new UI, because it arrived just as I went on a trip, and I can’t use Roon remotely, hrrmph hrrmph @Brian.

But wrt a default setting: a default is a dumb idea because it reflects a hardware hack, in that we sometimes shut down the system and because RAM is fast and expensive but volatile, behavior is not remembered across sessions. Everything should be remembered, always, regardless of shutdown. Even the undo buffer.

So in this case, couldn’t the Play button simply reflect the behavior chosen last in the drop down? No default in Settings. Just remember my choice.

5 Likes

Is there some way to do a “Play from here” that is not a “Play Now” but instead add next or add to queue? This has already come up a couple times, when I have a queue and I’d like to add part of an album.

I tried to do that and I think the only way is to select the tracks from where you want to start to the last one and “add to queue” but that’s a workaround since that with previous “two clicks play button” it was possible

Good suggestion. The last choice should then become the main button text.

1 Like

Unfortunatly not longer possible with the new system :frowning:

I love the new buttons.

But, why cleaning the queue?

Idea: Is it possible to insert (something like a) “new listening session”-tag/separator in the queue and add then the playing / new titles and do not touch the “old” listening session?

Btw, I love my idea of “listening sessions”.:sunglasses: Very often I would hear other music and switch sometime back. It is like reading two, three or more books simultaneously by using bookmarks.

Sure click on the song title and choose play from here in the popup menu.

That just adds the single track to the queue; it is not a “add the rest of the tracks in the album to the queue” action, surely?

It adds the rest of the tracks in the album to the queue for me.

Nevermind, I misread, queue rest of tracks only not play rest of tracks. Seems like an odd scenario to me can’t fathom when I would want to do that but to each his own.

There is a way, you need to right click (long press) the track you want to start with and all the rest of the tracks and then click the down arrow at the top of the screen next to Play. Then select Add Next or Add to Queue.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

It’s the same thing I wrote some posts before but from my point of view It’s more a workaround than a way to do a Play From here and add to queue but is really “select songs and add to queue” (and for example is annoying in multi discs albums) when in previous builds you could do it using “play from here” so it’s not exactly the same thing

Play now is probably my least used action. The number of steps to queue or play next is unchanged here but I do find the arrow/ little buttons a bit fiddly.

Maybe there could be a large interstitial screen that would pop up when clicking the play button, with large, touch-friendly buttons?

I dunno. I didn’t like the old way at first either so I’m giving this some time. One advantage to the pawmasher with regard to muscle memory is the buttons were always in the same physical place. New system, buttons are always in the same place relative to your position on the screen…slight difference.

As always, Linux user here so only familiar with the iOS app.

3 Likes

I love the new behaviour! To me it fits like a glove! :slight_smile:
And i am very glad that i dont have to clear a queue every now and then, thank you!
I was expecting an option to select default behaviour though, but the suggestion to set the previous action as default could be useful.

I like the new UI updates quite well, thank you for the work, as always. Yet I had been hoping, still in vain, to see pre-Build 216 functionality restored in the form of some sort of one-click option for the random selection of the first track of a playlist in shuffle mode. Ever since Build 216 I have been so unhappy with the way even in shuffle mode, Roon plays the same first track of each of my playlists every time. I know that change was tied to the implementation of new options for shuffle mode for other users, but the loss of the ability to randomize the selection of the first track remains, for this listener, a very substantial annoyance.

Where has the « Save a local copy option » for playlists gone?

Hrm, I think we may have mistakenly removed the edit options from the Playlist details screen :persevere:

You can still get to them by selecting the playlist the Playlist browser. Sorry about that, we’ll get this fixed soon.

1 Like

I disagree. Too much of a change and your asking too much of a fundamental shift of “muscle memory” to not be annoying to the point of real disappointment.

I put in my first post which is a feature request for a user selectable box that enables previous Play behavior. Roon was such a fresh and mature product in the “audiophile” space that I never even posted here before, but now that you are fundamentally changing basic behavior I fear you are going down the road of revolutionary instead of evolutionary change…

What’s next, a “Metro” Roon? :wink:

1 Like