Build 276 Synology DS918+ with Roon core+libs does not hibernate

I find myself in need of a NUC for something else, and if it’s “good enough” it’ll be fine for me!

I tried it last night briefly with the library database on a spinning disc, just for kicks didn’t even get a USB SSD to see how it did, and it was fine for 3 zones with no DSP or 1 with, which is about all I ever have running anyways. I’ll buy a cheap USB 3.1 thumb drive for the library, give it a go for a while, and if it works for a week or two I’ll repurpose the NUC.

…as long as this hibernation thing is working ok!

I have my 1520+ with 4 WD Red Plus and one SSD running off a UPS, which also feeds the main network switch in the house. Together, they draw 43 to 48W in general use, occasionally goes up to 54. Installing Roon on the 1520 has not impacted power consumption in a meaningful way. Even if I could hibernate the 1520 on a regular basis I think the saving would be negligible next to the stress put on the HDDs of additional stop/start cycles. But practically I don’t bother mainly because the 1520 hosts the SQL database for all my Kodi clients and this performs better if the HDDs are always spinning.

I only have a couple of days with Roon on the 1520 but so far am pleased and will repurpose the NUC I was using up to this point.

Well, I bother for our environment, less power on about 20 hours a day (times 30 W) would save more then 200 kW a year. That is 10% of my household amount. I selected an Synology on basis of lowest power consumption during hybernation. That fails. No support because it is not in the Package Center. Stability of the software and music is okay. But overall no recommendation.

Fair enough if you don’t need your NAS on most of the time. My 1520+ is already handling several duties, eg a PVR back-end and server for my entire bluray/UHD disc collection, so adding Roon on top is no brainer given how well it runs. But I was sceptical about trying it, and certainly a NUC is also a great way to go, and in some use cases likely preferable. But in my case I can drop the NUC and do a small bit for the environment in the process.

Hi,
I find it difficult to track down reasons why my DS disks do not hibernate.
I had at least the fixed disks hibernating by putting all of the indexed folders and programs to the SSD pool, but at some point they stopped to hibernate (more than one week before I made the install of Roon on the DS).
Cheers
Al