Build 778 Crashes in Mac OS and iOS when scrolling album pages in Tags [Resolved - B783]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

sonicTransporter-AP i7 8TB, OS 2.8, Roon Build 778

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Orbi Mesh Router–>TrendNet unmanaged switch–>CAT-6 to 2017 27" iMac (OS 11.2.3), wireless to iPad (OS 14.4.1)

Audio Devices

iMac–>Schiit Modi Multibit via USB

TEXT GOES HERE

I saw an issue on the forum similar to mine under the Android category, but mine concerns Mac OS and iPad OS, so I’m starting a new topic. When I select a Tag (under My Stuff) to reveal the included albums, both the Mac and iPad version of Roon crash when I scroll down more than 2 or 3 screens and then scroll back up. On the Mac, Roon freezes, need to force quit “app is not responding,” then relaunch. Repeated numerous times with same result, after relaunching Roon on the control devices as well on the Core, and then rebooting Core. It only happens with Tags in which more than 2 or 3 screens worth of albums (more than 30) are contained; when it is a smaller number (less than 30 albums), the problem does not occur. Also, no problems when scrolling Albums, Artists, etc. under My Library. Appears only to affect Tags.

Edit: Also affects iPhone 12 (OS 14.4.1) but on this device the freeze occurs even with Tags with a small number albums included (as fewer albums are displayed on the screen at any one time), so there must be a bug concerning the amount of scrolling.

2 Likes

Just checked and can confirm the same buggy behavior on an old iPhone 5S with iOS 12.5.1.

Select a tag, scroll downwards, and as soon as one tries to scroll upwards again the iOS App freezes and must be restarted.

1 Like

I can confirm the same thing happens to my iPhone XR, iPad running 14.4.1 6th generation, and MacBook Pro late 2013 running 11.2.3 Big Sur. It is repeatable.

1 Like

I tried this on my iPhone X with iOS 14.4.1 and Roon Core on a Intel NUC running RoonRock. I can not replicate the bug. Tested with a tag containing 42 albums.

I just replicated the problem on my MacBook Pro on MacOS 11.2.3.

1 Like

I replicated it on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) on MacOS 10.13.6.
Roon Core on a Intel NUC running RoonRock. Tested with a tag containing 42 albums.
Roon stops respoding when I start to scroll up.

1 Like

Replicated here; same steps as above
MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 macOS 11.2.3
EDIT: Core is on the MBP.
Also EDIT: I can avoid the bug if I use the app’s scrollbar. Mouse scrolling is the culprit. That said, the scrollbar scrolling is jerky and uneven when scrolling back up the list. This is all on the MBP. Haven’t tested iPad or iPhone.
Also Also EDIT: It seems that once I am in a tag’s album view and I scroll with the scrollbar, mouse scrolling and touchpad scrolling return to normal as long as I remain in the current view.

Thanks for reaching out, everyone! We appreciate it!

We have a ticket in on this. I can’t provide any specific timelines, but we’ll be sure to follow up when we have more information.

3 Likes

Hi, this is the same for me. I have an iPhone XS running iOS 14.4.1 with latest Roon build 778. When I scroll through my ‘tagged’ albums, for example my ‘Rock’ category, the app crashes almost immediately. The behaviour is it freezes, only a reboot of the app will restore functionality. Also, on the same device, sometimes artwork for tagged albums doesn’t display, effectively I have a blank display, I’m not sure what behaviour causes this but will look to reproduce and post an update.

Having the same issue when scrolling up within a tag

Same issue here: Freezing in Tag View (1.8/778)

We’ve just released Build 783 which includes a fix for this. Thanks for your patience while we’ve worked to get this resolved, everyone!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.