Build 88 Avast anti-virus blocks Roon on OSX

I’ve manually copied the 2 files into Roon.app/Contents/Resources (each time restoring them from the Virus scanner chest).
Roon now starts up again and is now running build 88 without issues (so far). I guess, as Roon is using Mono, it does need these ‘windows’ files.

Anyway, assuming the files are not infected, I am good till the next update, but suggest Roon looks into it, as I might not be the only user with Avast as a virus scanner.

1 Like

We’re looking into this – thanks @rovinggecko.

1 Like

Have the same problem. Roon won’t start. Please help.

Hi @James_Bracken – we’re working on getting this resolved with Avast. It sounds like @rovinggecko had some luck taking the two files that were flagged and restoring them from the Virus Scanner Chest, but unfortunately we are not running Avast in house (yet :expressionless: ) and we’re hoping they can resolve this for us quickly.

Let me know if you’re still stuck @James_Bracken and we’ll make sure we resolve this for you real soon. Thanks!

For what it’s worth, I am using the free version of AVAST! but have not experienced any issue with the upgrade to build 88. However, contrary to the OP, my system is Windows 8.1.

Fixed it by turning off Avast web shield, downloading Roon and reinstalling. But, now when I’m in the Album view and push the Focus button, Roon immediately crashes and I need to restart. Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks,

Hey @James_Bracken – hard to say whether that’s related or not, but logs should help. I’ll be in touch via PM and we’ll figure this out.

Thanks for your patience here!

I have panda. It will not let me run installation download on windows 7 machine.

Same problem over here on OS X 10.9.5. Deactivating Avast worked (temporarily).

Continuing the discussion from Roon 1.1 (Build 88) is live!:

It’s a diaster. Update on Mac doesn’t launch now, download comes thru as an infected file…

Since Build 88 is running happily on lots of servers already, I would not exactly call it a disaster…

Your issue however sounds suspiciously like Avast anti-virus blocks Roon 88 for OSX

Are you running some kind of Antivirus software on your Mac? Your quick fix for now could be the same as the one performed by RovingGecko in the above thread.

Indeed, sounds very much like what I had.

You can do what I did (see posts RBM pointed out), or try to:

• turn off your anti virus
  • do the update\install
  • turn it on
  • then your anti virus will probably quarantine the installed file so you need to un-quarantine it in your virus scanner

Or wait till Roon \ your virus scan manufacturer fixes it.
It might help Roon if you share what virus scanner you are using.

Yes, I already figured this out…Advast, MAC El Capitan 10.11.2

RBM Shouldn’t updates be transparent and just work? Spending time on forums to debug what should just work should not be on me. I can’t remember having an update issue with any MAC app, ever. Until now. Why no warning on the update page?

For everyone not running Avast, it is transparent and just works.

No one at our company runs Anti Virus software as it just slows down your system. Also, in an environment where minimizing electrical noise is key, the Anti-Virus only hurts your sound quality (if your computer is attached/near to your audio outputs).

Anyway, we are in the process of looking into getting Avast to whitelist our files, but this stuff happens all the time with anti-virus software. Been doing this for 10+ years, every build seems to hit issues withe some anti-virus out there.

This is a bit of an edge case, I’m afraid. Virus scanning is still not very common on Macs and Roon (being based on Mono, a cross platform .Net implementation) is slightly different from your average OS X app.

Of course, that does not make it any less annoying – but most probably the reason why it has not been caught in beta testing. Anyway – I’m sure this will be picked up by one the Roonies soon.

Edit: Q.E.D. :smiley:

@danny In cases, where you are using the computer as your main computer AND a Roon server, I can see why anti-virus would want to be run. In my Roon Server / Main Computer test case, I use AVG without any issues ever; but I am on the PC side so not a true comparison. I can say on the PC Side that AVG lives with Roon and RoonServer quite well. No hiccups ever. :grinning: Acronis backup and restore as well.

I had the some problem with Mac OS X El Capitan and solved it temporarily as follows. It basically uses the the same procedure that was suggested before with some tweaks. Please be aware of the sequence, otherwise you probably would not be able to download the installer and activate Roon correctly. Hope it helps.

1. Deactivate WebShield and File System Shield in Avast Preferences
  2. In the File Systems Shield Settings add the Path /Applications/Roon.app (if you had it installed previously)*. This should exclude the Roon App from being scanned in the future.
  3. Download the Mac .dmg from Roon
  4. Run the Roon Installer
  5. Launch Roon
  6. Open Avast again
    6a. *If you do not have a previous install of Roon add the Path now
    6b. Activate WebShield and File System Shield in Avast Preferences
1 Like

We’ve made some changes here for Build 94, and we’ve heard back from Avast as well.

This should be better now, but I’ll leave this thread open in case anyone has any more issues here.

Thanks all!

Thanks @mike, smooth upgrade on this end.

1 Like

Not so smooth at my end. Update went fine, but after the next restart Roon reports Database issues.