Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M 2.0. Disappears from Ropieee bridge

Roon Core Machine

Nuc11PAHi7 running ROCK

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ASUS RX-AX86U to Netgear GS108 switch. No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

NUC to Pi4b running Ropieee to (Roon Tested) Cambridge Audio DacMagic 200M 2.0 via USB
DAC feeds Denon x4500h via RCA

Number of Tracks in Library

178 albums

Description of Issue

Several…

1. If I put the CA Dac on standby, then restart it, I have to restart the pi for the Dac to show up again in devices.
    If I connect the Dac straight to the NUC via usb, i.e.cut out the pi bridge, It is recognised after going in and out of standby. But, as I understand it, connecting directly to Core via usb is not recommended. Can’t find that advice now, but is it still relevant?

2. The Roon Tested CA dac has different defaults depending on connection to pi or ROCK… how come?

3. Neither pi nor ROCK settings include Exclusive Audio mode for the CA dac. How come?

4. Advanced settings includes ‘Enable MQA Core decoder’. Does this refer to the DAC or the Roon core? I’ve already set the DAC as
    Decoder and Renderer.

5. DSD playback strategy. Which one and why?

Thanks in advance.

My Roon Core is on a m1 Mac mini
my bridge is a iFi Zen Stream
same CA 200M that goes XLR to my preamp

Does not happen to me. If 200M goes out I just press the power button and the bridge/dac is available again

I do connect directly. I do that as the USB from core does not make me dependant on a bridge.

If you connect thru a bridge (the pi or something else) you are limited by the bridge specs.

This is not for me. Going usb from core:
Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 04.12.13
going with a bridge I do not get exclusive but I think this is normal, using roon bridge means it is exclusive to roon

this is for the core. not the dac. you need this if you want to do dsp and preserve the mqa

I do not get your question so I’ll tell you how I use the CA 200M
I do DSP to upsample to 256 DSD DoP or 768 PCM. 70% of my listening is classical so I use DSD as it is I bit softer for my ears and system. DoP I have to use as on Mac there is no native DSD. Sometimes when I like an electronic I switch to PCM.
I have convolution enabled using waw files created in REW
I have speakers enabled to correct the measured speakers, I have +/- 0.8 db for left right speakers so I put -1.6 db to my right speaker (the one that measures louder).
I do not use volume because I have and analog preamp

So found a couple of answers…
3. no exclusive mode option for any ROCK usb devices…

“1. USB DACs are supported, as are the built-in audio devices on the machine. All audio devices are supported in exclusive mode.”

1. Have chosen DSD over PCM (DoP): PCM is essentially a container to ‘smuggle’ DSD into the DAC, which then treats it as pure DSD.

Sorry I do not have a ROCK to test this

Contradicts you number one point

I’m not sure 100% about the inner workings, I have read that PCM is a container and I hope that then the dac treats it as pure DSD. I was under the impression that direct DSD is better or at least goes to higher rates. Anyway I can test DoP 128 vs DoP 256 and I’m not sure that on my setup I can hear a big difference

I think it means that the Exclusive Mode option isn’t available because all usb attached DACs are in Exclusive Mode.

makes sense for rock

That’s not really correct… the DacMagic 200m and the zen stream support up to DSD512 native. Doesn’t have anything to do with Mac os either.

I’m running Mac os as well and I upsample to DSD512 and send that over WiFi to a raspberry pi4.

You only need DoP if you connect the Mac directly to a DAC or if the DAC doesn’t do native DSD.

1 Like

I must have messed up in the installation steps. I could do a reset and start over
Thank you for the correction

You need to go into the roon settings of the zen stream or DAC magic and enable upsampling to DSD in roon. But that works only in fixed volume mode.

Device setup and sample rate conversation is where that stuff should be

1 Like

Ok, I’ll try now… you made me curios. :slight_smile: Right now I was using 200M usb to m1 core for HQP and the ZS with a zen dac v2 as Roon Bridge.

Now what I am doing wrong? :frowning:

Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 15.14.07

Shout I go in safari at the iFi Roon Bridge settings?

How are you connecting the zen stream to the DAC magic? USB should work.

I remember something, might be wrong. Do I have to be in AIO with ZS?

tried to switch from the settings in the browser, and DSD just have gone away from roon settings

Now I remember I did this weeks ago and just give up.

USB, the only thing a little bit unusual is that I connect the ZS directly to the m1 core, but I did not think this should be the problem for dsd

1 Like

Could be the Problem. I’m using WiFi for my Raspberry pi4 .

Sorry I was wrong the zen stream is limited to 384khz and DSD256.

A raspberry pi 4 would be a cheaper and better alternative

Ok, lets see… :slight_smile:

So I get back on the normal network, with a switch between m1 core and ZS, in browser setting when I tried to select DSD direct and hit save it will not stay that way, switches back to DoP
I remember now I tried this also, I remember thinking that I could do a reset and start over and that was the only thing that got stuck in to my head.

Anyway thanks for trying :slight_smile:

Hi @Richard_Buckland,

It looks like you started a support group for the DacMagic!

Can you give an update on your issue?

Thanks,
Wes

Sure can…

1. In touch with Ropieee re restarting issue. He looked at logs and said that Ropiee is seeing the DAC start up, then losing connection. So still restarting Ropieee after pulling DAC out of standby.
  2. Only using Pi 4b / Ropieee as bridge to DAC now and defaults seem to be consistent.
  3. Found that USB connection to DAC means Exclusive Mode is set by default and therefore no longer an option.
  4. Enable MQA decocoder refers to Roon Core. I think it allows MQA when using DSP.
  5. Chose DoP (DSD over PCM). Although CA DacMagic 200M has native DSD processing, Native is not an option. If anybody knows why please let me know. I suspect it’s due to using Ropiee as a bridge.
1 Like

Hi @Richard_Buckland,

Just a couple of comments from me.

I found others talking about this. At least one said he had to hard wire to fix the issue.

Here’s what I see in the logs.

12/30 10:02:43 Trace: [raatserver] [CA DacMagic 200M 2.0] lost client connection. Retrying
12/30 10:02:43 Info: [raatserver] [CA DacMagic 200M 2.0] connecting (attempt 1)
12/30 10:02:43 Info: [transport] destroyed zone CA DacMagic 200M 2.0 was playing? False
12/30 10:02:43 Trace: [zone CA DacMagic 200M 2.0] Suspend
12/30 10:02:43 Info: [zone CA DacMagic 200M 2.0] Canceling Pending Sleep
12/30 10:02:43 Info: [zone CA DacMagic 200M 2.0] Canceling Pending Sleep
12/30 10:02:43 Warn: [raat_ll/client] [CA DacMagic 200M 2.0] failed to connect Connection refused

After that, I see the device get removed. While those could very well just be the device going into standby, that’s what we see. Is there any wifi involved in the equation?

One thing we can try is to refresh RAAT on your core. You will want to access your WebUI and stop the server. I’m not even certain it can help but it won’t hurt. Please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:
Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 5.01.25 PM

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

I believe you are correct. I found this thread with some more information and a very similar scenario and hope you find it insightful.

Regards,
Wes

Hi, thanks for that.
All ethernet wired for me, but just moved ROCK off a switch and onto the router (also upgraded ethernet canbles to 6a, just for fun!). Seemsto have improved a certain harshness I noticed from the DAC.
Also rebuilt Database as suggested, put DAC in standby, then out of standby.
DAC disappeared from Roon.
Restarted Ropieee, and there it is!
Hey ho, just have to be less lazy.
If you can see Roon logs, the restart was in the last 5-10 mins, i.e. 14:35 or so New Zealand summertime.
P.S. Can I access the logs?