Can Roon analyse 'sonic similarity' like Plex Super Sonic?

PlexAmp has many different ways to discover your library. Sonic analysis is one piece of the puzzle. Artist radio, track radio, Mood mixes, Mix Builder, etc. Having Smart Fades alone makes Roon feel like a very high quality, but staid music player by comparison.

As a present day DJ and have been for 21 years and holder of lifetime subs to both Plex and Roon I can tell you that Roon presents the quality of audio in a magnificent way. PlexAmp has been offering increasing quality and more bells & whistlers than Roon (for my tastes anyway).

2 Likes

Hi, iā€™m a new Roon user (on trial).
Yesterday i tested PlexAmp, specificaly for this Supersonic feature.

While the ā€œsonically similarā€ feature is good, i was way more excited by the smooth transitions between tracks, which were not based on a fixed crossfading number of seconds, but clearly based on their algorithm and all the related things (bpm, silence, sound color, fading ends and beginningsā€¦)

It was not always on spot, and still perfectible, but i found this feature pretty unique. (but maybe it exists somewhere else ?)
I thought i would find the same here on Roon.

But no way for me to move on Plex, thatā€™s the only thing appealing for me in their app.

1 Like

I put this in as a separate feature request, but for those who like the way Plexamp ā€œradioā€ works (which is different than the underlying analysis), I thought this might be interesting. I agree the data model is great, but the interface is what got me excited - even if Roon doesnā€™t do any more analysis than what it already has. Would be interested in your thoughts (and votes, if you agree!)

1 Like

Do I understand correctly that Plex Sonic Analysis only analyses tracks in your local library AND then only identifies sonic matches across tracks in your local library?

Just spent some time with it, expecting it to be a dream-come-true discovery method in combo with Tidalā€¦ only to be sorely disappointed. :face_with_thermometer:

Unless I misunderstood the feature completely, it seems useful mainly to those who:

• Love automatic playlists or other kind of ā€œfocused radioā€ playback
  • Do not know their own library by heart (too many tracks / albums / artists)
  • Do not have their own library sonically interlinked (e.g. by customized genres or tags)

ā€¦ I unfortunately do not fall into any of the above categories. But maybe I am still missing something important here? Many people seem hyping the Sonic featureā€¦

NOTE: The TOUCHDOWN promo code for 1-month free Plex Pass still seem to work.

So the one time I thought it was amazing was when I used it with my source set to Tidal instead of my own library. Then it was amazing. On my library itā€™s decidedly so-so.

Johnny I think that when you set the source to Tidal it is using a different radio type as Sonic analysis only runs on local files.
I had great success with PlexAmp radio based on my library after Sonic analysis, but for now I am focusing on ARC for remote use.

1 Like