Can’t enjoy music I don’t own

I just got back into listening to music after retiring last summer. I signed up for Roon in May with fewer than 100 albums ( mostly CD but a handful of Hi-Res downloads ) to my name and now have almost 500 albums in my library thanks to Tidal and I hope to see that count increase until it hits the Tidal limit.

I’m fine listening to music I’m legally entitled to and to me paying Tidal meets that criteria. I can’t think of any Tidal album in my library that I feel I would have to replace if it was no longer available. That might change at some point and if I then lost access to that album I guess I would try to purchase it.

Following posts on this forum has strongly reinforced the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and approaches to listening to music … mine work for me and hopefully everyone else’s work for them.

Tim

The music I usually enjoy the most is the music I play on stage – during my concerts. Performing in front of an audience always reminds me that music is more about “sharing” than about “owning” – just a thought.

7 Likes

Bill… One solution to this is to note down separately when you add something from Tidal or Qobuz; things are fairly easy to source, eg from Bandcamp and the like. I have a spreadsheet now, with all my HDD albums, and Qobuz albums, and a comment on them, eg short description and if good stuff, etc. It’s the only way I can keep track of it all (mix of age and sheer volume of music, and the ephemeral nature of the services and my Roon database… hah!)

100% with you on this. I am getting far better at mentally detaching from the source of the music when listening.

It’s still hard to get over the physical ownership aspect, be it HDD or CD , etc. That will get easier for sure in time.

Doesn’t work since the genres I’d like to search for aren’t available.
Metal isn’t equal to Hard Rock. Ok they did split Pop and Rock against roon, which is a wise idea since these 2 got absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Qobuz isn’t any better, though.
If not only intersted in searching I tend to use https://www.albumoftheyear.org/ and similar sites which allow to find things against searching for them all day long.

1 Like

Metal is available as its own separate genre on Tidal you can search for in Roon. Qobuz does not have Metal as a genre

1 Like

I really can only listen to music I downloaded on Napster. Best if its 128kbps, really the finest of sound quality.

1 Like

That was the download rate/speed back then…

I have a “West” German CD copy of The Lamb from back in the day and always thought it sounded thin and tinny. The 2007 remaster from Tidal/Roon sounds wonderful. I have a massive LP/CD collection from the late 70’s onward. I rarely play them now bcuz of Tidal/Roon. It`s wonderful and I feel absolutely no guilt at all about not owning the music. Just my 2 cents…

I actually feel much more comfortable owning a copy of the music I am listening to. It does not bother me to listen to the streaming version, but it is nice to know I have it.

Same for movies and favorite 70s TV shows. How else can I reliably watch Baa Baa Blacksheep or The Night Stalker whenever I want?

2 Likes

So as a thought experiment, when the Steve Wilson remix of the Genesis catalog (wishful thinking)comes out and replaces the current version that you love with something that you don’t love as much, what will you do?

Thinking about it, my problems with streaming have stemmed from inconsistencies in playback. Routinely I’d be listening to a Tidal track and it would cut out or the next track wouldn’t play, etc.

I find Qobuz more stable in this regard and also I’ve recently invested in a V30 LG Phone which has transformed my mobile listening (using UAPP and Qobuz on the V30 is a great experience, aurally and not bad UX). Streaming directly on the device which has constant and solid internet access, wherever I am is a revelation. I am thinking less and less about the fact that I’m listening to streamed music.

Thinking further about ownership, I think if the consistency and availability of music from a streaming service is rock solid then I would have no problem to migrate more and more to streaming.

When Roon finally develop a good android option for on the go, adding the Roon magic to the mix bypassing the Android processing and sending data direct to DAC, it will be a fine day indeed.

The only issue then would then be the ability to share the odd track of delight with friends.

Agree regarding the V30 phone but as you say Roon does not play nice with it…as discussed in numerous threads.

I hope this is sorted in the upcoming release.

1 Like

Given the respect I have for Steven Wilson re-mixes , I would certainly entertain the thought of purchasing
but “cost” would be a factor. I don`t know how many more copies of Yes Fragile I can stomach. My playback equipment of digital has gotten me to a place where I am happy with Tidal/Roon. I went through the growing pains of digital playback, but in the last 5 to 10 years it has gotten quite good.

Jeff

Ugh. I’ve been a fan of streaming since MOG and have enjoyed Spotify, GPM, TIDAL and now Qobuz but in the last few months, I seem to be listening to the CD rips on my NAS versus streaming. No clue as to why.

1 Like

Lol, I sympathise with that!

I have been streaming / unlimited download subscription for years and now it is my primary portable solution using Apple Music …streaming the $85 super deluxe Joshua Tree set now. I like the ease vs copying files from my collection to phone.

For my main listening room I use Roon to play my collection plus I play records.

I like curating my collection of different versions. I am way too far down the collection path to go primarily streaming in my HiFi room.

But you don’t own it! If you stop your sub or if you lose your internet connection, you can’t listen anymore. Tidal and other music streaming services still don’t reward the artist sufficiently. If you buy the CD or record they will receive more.

When you buy second hand the artist gets nothing. Streaming services may pay the artist a pittance but at least every time you listen the artist gets something.

1 Like

IMHO, Its becoming less of an argument these days, with offline access, and internet access like running water and subs costing so little a month. You may as well say if you don’t pay your electric bill you won’t be able to listen either :slight_smile:

Incidentally, Bandcamp is a better way to buy too, if you want to reward artists. I look first there if I want to buy. The artist gets a much bigger cut.

The streaming model is here to stay for better or worse.

2 Likes