Cannot access \\ROCK\data from one PC but works from another

Hi, just installed NUC8i3BEH, installation was smooth, worked perfectly, core connected with remote, can play music. But I want to access files from my PC, but I’m unable to connect, it works from my laptop over wifi but my main PC which has the same system, same network and everything cannot access. It has SMB enabled, I can see ROCK PC in the network but cannot access its files via windows explorer.

Any idea what might be a problem here?

You might try using the IP address instead of \rock\data.
You can find the IP on the settings/general page in roon.
It would look like “\\IPaddress\data”
Are you trying to map the drive in explorer?

Neither way works. Mapping a drive, or accessing it with file explorer directly with \ROCK\data or \ip_addr\data.

When trying to map a drive I get this error:

Look if your network status is private not public
goto pc settings >> Network and internet
if the connection is public hit the button properties an change it to private

Ok, I went to Local Group Policy Editor and changed “Enable insecure guest logons” from “Not configured” to “Yes” and it works now. However this option is set to “Not configured” on my laptop and it works too.

There must be a difference elsewhere…

Probably different windows versions.

The working one was W10 Pro, the one with issues was W10 Education. Do you think it might has something different when it comes to accessing network shared files?

Yes The Education version needed that setting set, as you’ve discovered. See

Yes, because at some point with some Windows versions it has become necessary to explicitly enable it, and previously / on other versions it was/is enabled by default

Thank you for this. Issue resolved.
Gotta love Windows, right? :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.