Cannot connect to Core from Mac Mini

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac Mini ca. 2012 Mojave.
Running Roon App headless - monitor and manage it using screen sharing from another Mac Mini.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Eero wifi network fed from Xfinity cable modem.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Connect through iPads, iPhones and a Marantz receiver. Would like to connect from my other Mac Mini (ca. 2018) and MacBook pro laptops.

Description Of Problem
I downloaded the Roon app onto the other Mac Mini and try to locate the Roon core (running on the headless Mac Mini) but it simply cannot find it. I have verified that both are on the same subnet (192.168.6.XXX). I can easily connect to my iOS devices. I have tried turning off firewalls on both Mac Mini’s with no luck.

I did this exact same procedure on a MacBook Pro and was able to find and locate and connect to the Core immediately and play music through the built-in speakers of that laptop. Didn’t need to drop firewalls, or anything. Just worked. So it seems there is something specifically amiss with the Mac Mini 2018.

If I choose the newer Mac Mini as as the Core, my iOS devices see it immediately and will connect and play music from it (I have my library duplicated on the second Mac Mini for backup purposes). I can even play music out of the newer mac Mini using my iPhone as a control

But, again the main issue is that when running the Core on my older mac mini I cannot connect to that core from the newer 2018 Mac Mini.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Did you update to Catalina? If so, there are huge issues which Roon is aware of and working on.

Hi John,

Welcome to the community.

This seems very strange. How did you go about setting up the new Mac Mini? Did you happen to use Migration Assistant from the old Mini to the new Mini?

Cheers, Greg

Thanks for the idea. I did upgrade to Catalina and worried about this. However, the MacBook Pro I refer to that is working is also on Catalina.

Yes I did use the migration assistant. Thank you.

I should note that the 2012 Mini that the core is located on is on Mojave.

Thanks for the update, I’ll add that to your first post.

I would recommend, uninstalling the Roon app and then performing a clean reinstall.

Hi @John_Mitchell1,

Generally, we advise against using these types of backup/restore programs with Roon as it can cause some issues. Can you try uninstalling Roon completely from the new Mac device and reinstalling it new and let us know if that helps at all?

Good suggestion. But I already had tried that approach. Thank you.

Thanks for confirming that, @John_Mitchell1.

When you’re running the new Mac Mini as your Core, is the old 2012 Mac Mini able to connect to it as a remote?

A post was split to a new topic: Mac devices unable to connect to Core

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.