Cannot get Roon running

@noris any news please

Hi @Ben_Katz,

I just checked the status of your case and I see that it is still pending some feedback from our QA team, I have requested an update from QA and once I have further details to share, I will let you know here. Thanks in advance for your patience while this request makes its way through the queue!

No problem. Ill just wait for the response. Thanks.

1 Like

Any word from the QA team. Its been awhile @noris

@noris. Any news yet?

If you want some more information I have been trying to play roon for last 2 hours. I can barley get a song to play all the way through. I have rebooted the server 2 times. Painful. @noris @danny. So you can pull the logs from 900 to 1100 est if that helps

Hi @Ben_Katz — We are still checking with the team on a couple pieces of information. I’ll be in touch soon with more details. Apologies for the delay!

Hi @dylan thanks for the update.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey Ben,

First, sorry for the delay here while I’ve talked to the team about this. We’ve ran your report by a number of people, analyzed the logs, and discussed with our senior technical team the specifics of what you’re seeing. Ultimately it looks like the hardware that you’re running just isn’t able to handle the size of your library.

The size of your library is among the largest we’ve seen, easily within the top .01% of all collections used in Roon. With a library this impressive, the hardware being used needs to be equally impressive, or you need to split your library.

You could opt for an enterprise-grade dedicated Windows machine, but we can’t get into specific recommendations as we don’t regularly test with databases of this size. When you’re in the 1% of the 1%, there are no guarantees that any hardware will resolve the hiccups you’re running into.

Your best bet is to split your library and use smaller databases that you can cycle between. It’s less ideal, but you’ll still have plenty of music at your fingertips.

I appreciate your patience while we’ve discussed with the team, Ben. We wanted to make sure that we weren’t seeing any issues outside of hardware performance and, after investigating, we can confidently say that this is where these issues are stemming from.

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to let me know.

-Dylan

Thanks for the update. A few things. I have a friend with the exact same library and he has about the same spec machine as mine and he sees none of these issues. Also Danny Dalai had said the HW was Sufficient. Are we sure of this diagnosis doctor

Hi @Ben_Katz,

It’s hard to say without looking into the differences in hardware and logs for the other similar setup you mentioned and why it is not experiencing the same issues. Ultimately, though, with the information we have on the issue you’re experiencing, our senior development team made it clear — The hardware was failing to properly handle the size of the database and was running out of resources.

I think I’d like to hear from @danny who said my hardware was fine for 700k plus tracks. I am only running 630k tracks or so . I am past the time where I can return the hardware. I got the spec right from the roon KBs. @dylan @danny

What ram is in the box? I did not say your hardware was fine.

I said you’d need 16gb, not the 8gb… and I mentioned splurging for 32gb. Did you upgrade from 8gb?

I have 16GB. I couldn’t get the 32GB. I upgraded on your recommendation.

So you are crashing, and it could still be due to memory, or maybe you have a corrupt file, or it could be something else.

If you are determined to make this work, here is my general strategy:

• Start from scratch with a new Roon database.
  • split your library into 4 parts
  • add part one to Roon and wait for importing and analysis to complete. It could take a few days
  • then use it for a week or so and make sure things are stable
  • then backup your database
  • now repeat with part 2

Then keep going…

At some point it may fail, In which case we should probably restore previous working backup and further split up the remaining parts.

It’ll help us figure out what the issue is.

As I’ve said before, we have ROCK and Nucleus users both at this size of library (even larger!) without issues. It’s not a great experience but it is stable.

You may have to work to get there, but it should be possible.

Congratulations on staying the course this far. Many would have given up a long time ago. As, in general, the finger is being pointed at memory as being the problem have you ever checked the server’s memory usage during any of the infrequent periods when the clouds clear, the winds are favourable and Roon is up and running? Presumably if it is a memory problem you should see a Roon process consuming a LOT of memory.

I run a database of about 300k tracks on an i5 with only 8gb of memory. I’m having my fair share of Roon issues at he moment but when it’s running I don’t find it to be consuming massive amounts of memory.

Danny,

I am determined. I like the product and I am now more than a year and more than $1000 sunk into this. I made a discovery last night that if I rebooted the remote It helped. Thats interesting. I also play music from my own collection and Tidal. The fails are across both. I should be able to stream a song even if I had a corrupt part of my DB. To be clear im not taking about that albums in the library but songs from tidal that I don’t know.