Can't find roon ready devices

Hi @Ron_Bierman1 ---- Thank you for the follow up, very appreciated!

Ok, so the symptom/issue has changed, since your initial report:

Can you give provide any insight as to what adjustments have been made (if any), to your setup since your last post?

-Eric

The only actions I recall that might be relevant are power cycle of node 2, and factory reset of NAD 758 V3. The reset was done because of an unrelated problem with cable TV feed. The only equipment change in the network was a cable-box upgrade for the only box connected to the NAD. No software or firmware upgrades in any of the other network devices.

Are there other reports of problems with Android app finding Node 2? Maybe I’ll try a spare Windows laptop as controller.

I want to have a glitch-free system before I spend much time working with using ROON software during my trial period, and before I buy an AIR 2 as ultimate controller.

Ron

Thanks for getting back to me @Ron_Bierman1!

Would you please provide me with a screenshot of the “settings” you are using with the Node2 from your core machine. I am looking for complete screenshots of your “General” and “Playback” tabs.

This information can be obtained by going into “settings” - > “audio” - > clicking the “gear” icon next to the Nod2 zone and selecting “device setup”.

-Eric

I never changed the settings for the Node2. But, the Android app told me, last night, there was a Node2 upgrade. I downloaded, and after I did the Android phone was able to see and play both zones – Node2 and NAD 753V3. I wanted to try again to make sure I was ok before declaring success. I did that this morning and the Android app doesn’t see either device. Fing, as it always does, sees both. I tried to use a Win 10 laptop as controller on the same network. Downloaded the controller app for Windows. Went to setup. This version of the app doesn’t see either zone either. I realize this may be some problem unique to me, or a bug in BlueSound rather than ROON. Both my BlueSound devices are relatively new to Roon.

And I am impressed by your willingness to help. but I’m not going to spend much more time chasing whatever the problem is.

I had an issue with losing a Bluesound zone, but in the Blue Os app. It was ok in Roon and Fing found it all.
I messaged Bluesound who suggested I restart my Modem router and switches. This I did and all is well.

Thanks, Chris. I’ll try that.

Ron

Tried restarting comm devices (not for the first time). Still no joy. Symptoms seem to be different every day. Today I can play on the NAD receiver using core as controller. Core no longer sees Node 2. Android app doesn’t discover either device and keeps losing connection to core as well.

Spotify and Fing always see all players. Eric, any chance the problems are related to Netgear router settings? I don’t know what else to try.

Ron

Hi @Ron_Bierman1 ---- Thank you for the update, the feedback is appreciated!

Based on that fact that the “symptoms” of your reported issue keep changing across a few devices (NAD, Node 2, and Roon remote - “can be found”, “won’t connect”, “only some are found”, etc) this certainly feels like a networking issues.

You mentioned that the ONLY networking hardware in play is the "Netgear R700 dual-band ". While I am not personally familiar with this device and it’s capabilities, if you can provide some screenshots of the settings being used I can certainly try my best to advise on what you currently have in place and what may make things more stable for you. You also mentioned that you have router on “lower speed band”. Since reporting this issue to us, have you tried other settings on the router?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

After not trying for a month, I’ve used both zones successfully for the last three days, specifying tracks on both Android phone and PC (core location). I’ve made no changes in my configuration or settings on any device. But I have continued to install NAD receiver, Node 2, and PC (ROON) updates as they become available. There were new updates on all three. Since this is by far the longest I’ve been able to use both zones, perhaps the latest versions have corrected the problems I have been experiencing.

One thing that may be unusual about my configuration is that the NAD receiver is on my router’s slower-speed WiFi band and the Node goes through an Onkyo receiver with an Ethernet connection.

Ron

Eric,

I got a one-year subscription after things had been running smoothly for a few weeks. I more recently had a Windows 10 problem that forced me to reload Windows. The process I used kept data files but deleted applications. I had to reload ROON core and BlueOS Controller. Both are up. ROON can no longer see ROON-ready devices. I have a Node 2 and NAD 758V3. All software is up-to-date. As this stream indicates, I’ve had the problem before. It corrected itself, perhaps after most recent ROON and NAD updates. New wrinkle. My Android phone ROON controller can’t find ROON core which is running on Win 10 PC.
As usual, Fing on Android sees all connected devices, and Spotify plays on all.
Every device, including PC and NetGear router have been powered off and brought back up.
Windows isn’t seeing Node 2 either. I checked services. Dns client, function discovery, ssdp discovery, were all running and on auto. upnp service was manual and not running, so I started it and rebooted Node 2. Still not discovering.

Ron

Hi @Ron_Bierman1 ---- Thank you for the follow up and sharing these recent observations with me.

Moving forward, just to confirm ALL elements (i.e core machine, endpoints, networking devices, etc) of your Roon setup are exactly the same, correct? Additionally, you mentioned the following in your latest:

“Windows isn’t seeing Node 2 either.”

If the OS is unable to see the endpoint, my feeling is that there is a more “general” issue occurring here on the core machine. You mentioned that you had to reload the operating system due to an issue (i.e “I more recently had a Windows 10 problem that forced me to reload Windows.”). Can you please verify what the issue was and secondly, since reloading the OS have you made sure that any security protocols (i.e firewalls, antivirus apps, etc) on that device have exceptions made for “Roon” and “RAATServer”?

-Eric

I agree it has to be something in Windows.

I don’t know what caused the error that forced me to reload Windows, but I couldn’t start the system. Did extensive hardware diagnostics and tried a few other thing like checking for Windows system files corruption, revert to previous restore point, etc. Finally gave up and reloaded while keeping personal files. I suspected system-file corruption, but msconfig wouldn’t execute from command line, probably indicating I was right.

I’m about to take a weekend trip, and won’t have time to check for security block until I get back. I’m using same current version of Norton as before problem, and Win firewall is off. Never a problem before, but I’ll check.

Thanks for reply,

Ron

Verified Win firewall off. Network set to private in Norton with no specified device restrictions. That means none of my network devices are kept from connecting by Norton. Updated Win 10, though Microsoft lists nothing network related in this batch of changes. Verified I have latest Win drivers for Node 2 and NAD receiver. Windows showing everything except Node 2 as in network, including NAD receiver. Android ROON app on Samsung-7 phone doesn’t find core on Win 10 PC, so no devices seen. Core on PC sees neither NAD nor Node 2.

Spotify on PC and phone sees and streams to NAD and Node 2. Fing sees all. I’m no longer convinced it’s Windows problem.

Update: Uninstalling and reinstalling Android app allows app to see core. No progress with either app or core finding receiver or Node.

Ron

Hi @Ron_Bierman1 ----- Thank you for touching base with me, your continued feedback has been appreciated!

Continuing forward, I want to first check in and see any new progress or observations have been here, in regard to this behavior you are experiencing with your endpoints/remotes and additionally, I want to ask if you have tested with Norton completely disabled just to rule out that variable as a potential cause.

-Eric

Turned off Norton firewall and auto protect. Tried ROON again. Still nothing found in either zone. Today, the Android remote, which discovered both yesterday, no longer finds either device today, which =s less than no progress. Fing, Blusound, and Spotify see both ROON-enabled devices. Windows 10 shows all network devices except Node 2 which has Ethernet connection to router.

Ron

Thanks for the follow up @Ron_Bierman1!

Continuing forward, can you verify for me that the firmware on the Netgear R700 is up to date. Additionally, can you also confirm if IGMP snooping is active on the router and if it is, would kindly disable this feature and let me know if this action triggers a change in behavior with your devices.

-Eric

The firmware was not up to date, so I updated. No difference. IGMP proxying was and still is disabled. I don’t understand the relationship between IGMP snooping and proxying, but I don’t see a setting related to snooping.

Also, NAT filtering (secured, not open) is on, if that matters.

Ron

Hi @Ron_Bierman1 ---- Thank you for the follow up and updating the firmware on the R700. Very appreciated!

I wanted to touch base with you and see what firmware version is currently running on your BS devices as I know they have released a firmware update recently (“2.16.1”). If you have already updated can you confirm how your BS devices have been performing?

-Eric

Android app for BS indicates when an update is available for NAD receiver and I always do the update. I don’t remember one this year yet, but I use the app a lot and it isn’t telling me there’s an update. I believe the Node 2 updates automatically when it’s connected, which it always is, except when I sometimes shut it down (without power cutoff) and reboot.
I also removed and reloaded ROON and the Windows Controller for BS in January. So I believe everything is up to date. BS recognizes NAD and Node 2, as do Windows 10, Spotify and Fing… Roon, which I also reloaded in January, hasn’t seen anything but the Windows PC it’s on since last year. I just tried again on Android and PC with no luck. Both go into searching loop. At least the Android app does see the PC. If you sense a little frustration, you are correct.

Ron

Hi @Ron_Bierman1 ----- Thank you for the update, the insight and feedback are both appreciated.

So as of now none of the mentioned network based endpoints are appearing in Roon, correct? You are only given the option to select the “system output”, yes? You are running the latest Roon build (i.e build 310)?

When you mentioned that the Android app sees the PC, this is making note that the Roon remote can see the core (i.e the PC), yes?

Additionally, can you provide me with the exact make and model of the core PC?

-Eric