Can't get roon to connect

@Eric
With respect to setting up my laptop as a remote device I noticed that you stated the following
“grab a copy of roon for that device and use it for remote control by selecting the desired core iMac up on launch.”
I don’t understand this for many reasons:
To go to your website do I go to “roon labs.com.?”
If so there is no provision to "grab a copy of roon ". I assume you don’t want me to reinstall Roon because that’s what happened in the first place causing me to lose my playlist!
so how can I select the “desired Core(iMac) upon launch”?
I very much appreciate all of your help but you must realize that a lot of us are using Roon for the love of music and are not all that well versed in geek computer activity. Please dumb down your instructions so that the average guy like me can understand. Thanks

@warren_kice warren you can go to the Roon labs website and then under the heading ‘more’ you will see ‘download’ select this and then scroll down the page and you will see Roon and downloads for Windows 64bit, Windows 32bit and Mac, I assume your windows pc is running windows 10 64bit if in doubt right click on the windows desktop and select properties it should open a window and tell you what you are running? Once you have downloaded Roon just click on the.exe file and when it starts and gives you the option to manage your music or be a remote you select remote and then you should see it display your Mac core select connect to your Mac core and you should be up and running, this will not overwrite your playlists.

Russ

@warren_kice — FYI the hyper link in my post will take you directly to the download page.

-Eric

@eric
Here is an excerpt from a post on your support section which is at least slightly germaine to my problem with lots playlist.

v"I wanted to start over with my roon setup. i tried uninstalling the program on a Mac, and then reinstalling it- but all my music and settings were still there following reinstallation. how can i wipe the program and start over (or at the very least, reset the program to its default settings)?"

Hi @warren_kice ---- checking in with you here to see if any progress has been made. Please allow me to clarify some of this for you.

Currently, your core is running on your iMac, so reinstalling the application on Win10 laptop should have no effect on that machine. All you will need to do is re-download the Roon application for Windows from our website (using the hyperlink above) and when you launch the application you will select your iMac as your core as seen in the provided example above.

Moving forward…
In regard to your missing playlists, we need to be 100% certain that your database was not overwritten at any point as your playlists would’ve have been tied to THAT install on your iMac.

If this is indeed the case and you have re-written over your database that contained the playlists, the only way to recover these items would be to restore from a backup that was made before this problem occurred. Have you been making/keeping backups of your database? If you have, I can certainly help you restore from one.

-Eric

@Ratbert
Thanks for your message. I could not fan find “more” as a heading on my Roon website
Warren

@Ratbert
BY “roon website” do you mean the website on which I have stored all my albums, tracks, playlists,etc or do you mean the room website accessible by going to room labs.com (where the free trial ?signup is offered

Roon labs website, I have sent you a message.

Russ

@Eric
Regarding backups, before I lost my backups I did follow the steps outlined in the roon user guide. In so doing I found the roon folder and tried to transfer to a usb hard drive but it wouldn’t transfer. So I drug the roon folder to my desktop where it sits now. I have tried to access the "subfolders"in the roon folder “cache,database logs settings temp” After clicking on “database” I got “cache” and after clicking on that I got "roon backup’ and after clicking on that I got

97247a6c-25f6-2701-604c-de8d5207f9b7

Can you take it from here?

@Ratbert
Where do I find the message?

@eric,
In my previous message in line 1 change “backups” (second occurrence) to “playlists”

@warren_kice assuming you are logged in you should see it if you click on your user at the top right of the screen.

Russ

@eric,
Since my last message I have made some progress towards restoring my playlists.
As I mentioned before I lost the playlists, I tried to back them up to an external hard drive but couldn’t, so I drug the roon folder to my desktop. I just bought an new external hard drive and drug the folder from the desktop to the hard drive… It appears that many files were being transferred indicating that possible the playlists were included.
Assuming that the complete roon backup is now on the new external hard drive, how do I get it back to the roon website or app or whatever it is.?

@Eric
It happened again!! I had worked up a few new playlists after losing the old ones . I went to the roon, on my core iMac and provided my user name and ID. Roon came up with all the library items BUT THE PLAYLISTS.
I had backed everything up to a usb external hard drive and i drug the roon folder from it to the “music files” in roon. Everything transferred EXCEPT THE PLAYLISTS!
WHAT WENT WRONG!

I am extremely frustrated.