Can't get Roon to start

Hi Eric,

Any chance there’s a solution to my dilemma…I still have NO Idea on how to move forward since so many things have been suggested or discussed…Right now I have Roon on my Office system but all it will do is play my main system (like a remote control) and not let me listen to my Office system on my iMAC…it only shows my my main system where I have RoonServer installed on my MAC Mini…

Hi @LarryMagoo ---- Thank you for reaching out to me.

It seems like there has definitely been some confusion here and as such I want to walk through things step by step with you.

I still have some questions from my previous post to you but for now I want to hold off on everything and ask to please JUST provide the following item. Kindly see below.

• Please provide me with a screenshot of your “audio” tab from the iMac displaying all zones that are currently available in Roon.

-Eric

Eric,

Great to hear from you…Can you please tell me where I can find the Audio tab? I hate to sound stupid…but all I find in Audio Zone in which it only shows my Main system and nothing else…???

Thanks,

larry

@LarryMagoo ---- I believe we may be talking about the same thing here just using different terminology. Please see below.

Path (in Roon): “Settings” > “Audio”

Example:

-Eric

NOTE: Please make sure that your screenshot shows ALL the zones that are currently visible from the iMac.

It looks like I might to "enable something here…thinking back I completely forgot about this…hope I am getting closer to getting this figured out with your help!!!..

Thank you fort the screenshot @LarryMagoo, a few things moving forward…

• Based on your screenshot above the iMac is working as expected. “Connected to this Mac” IS the iMac in your office.

iMac (office):
    59%20PM

• Currently, you have the “system output” enabled but you do not have any “audio zone” selected as you can see by the blue button at the bottom of the screen:

50%20PM

Larry, before you start enabling anything on the iMac (i.e “connected to this Mac”) what audio devices (i.e DACs) do you wish to use in your office for listening?

-Eric

I have a small DAC from Schiit called a Bifrost but I have the Multibit adder DAC which then becomes a “Bimby”

It has always worked well with Roon before I f’ed it up! ;-)…as you can see, I started to “enable” the system output but then I did not remember how I did it originally…did not want to add to the grief without instructions from you…

Thanks for confirming that information for me @LarryMagoo!

My suggestion to avoid any further confusion moving forward is to assign names to your zones so you know which zone represents which of your devices and to make sure you are picking a zone for playback. Kindly see below.

Remember “connected to this Mac” is representing the iMac in your office
53%20AM

• "System Output"

• Zone Name = “iMac - System Output”

02%20AM

• "Built-in Output

• Zone Name = “iMac - Built-in Output”

28%20AM

• “Schiit USB Audio Gen 2”

• Zone Name = “iMac - Bifrost”

58%20AM

• Sonarworks True-Fi

• Zone Name = “iMac - True-Fi”
      27%20AM

Larry, please take note of the following…

1. In order to assign a zone a name you must click “enable” first. “System Output” is already enabled so all you need to do is assign it a name but the other zones must be enabled first before naming.

2. After the zones have been “enabled” and re-named you must select the desired zone from the zone picker in order to use it

-Eric

1 Like

Eric,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation…I was gone for the weekend and will do this tonight after work…

I really appreciate your help!! I’m sure that my Office System will be working fine after you instructions.

Thanks again!

Larry

1 Like