Can't play next track? Atrociously counter-intuitive - no, thanks

Airplay is bit-perfect for redbook 44.1/16 digital audio. But you are right, anything higher, and it gets decimated.

Yes, exactly, and the typical endpoints for Airplay do not sound nearly as good as endpoints for Roon. That is what I meant when I said Roon sounds better with cd quality music. Itā€™s that hardware designed with Roon is of better quality than say something like an airport express. And there arenā€™t many standalone endpoints for Airplay.

I maintain my mostly FLAC library for use in my home system. For putting music on my iPhone/iPad, I use TuneFusion (from the same company as dbPoweramp (which I use for ripping and converting). TuneFusion can convert and transfer to my iDevices ā€œon the flyā€ (in any format you want, m4a, mp3, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, etc.). This way I donā€™t have to maintain a separate ā€œlossyā€ library for the iThiings. I also use the app ā€œfoobar2000 Mobileā€ on my iThings as the player app, because (1) TuneFusion is set to work automatically with foobar2000 mobile and (2) the app will play just about any type of audio file, use ReplayGain tags, etc. See:

Thanks for your thoughts Sheldon. Your experiences are very familiar. I wish I had the discipline to keep my iTunes library up to date with my Roon library.

Gary, Thanks for the TuneFusion tip. I was not familiar with that software even though I use foobar 2000 to help with format conversions. Much obliged!

1 Like

Greg, thatā€™s a novel application for your iThings. Thanks for sharing.

ā€¦as if it would want to.

1 Like

I, too am relatively new to Roon, just a few months. I came from iTunes and jRiver both. I have a Mac mini in my stereo rack (which has iTunes, and is my Roon core), output to a DAC, then to my preamp. All music is stored on a Synology NAS. When I started getting into Hi-Res files, I had to find another player, thatā€™s when I got jRiver. I kept 2 libraries, the Hi-res with all my 24bit and DSD files, which I managed myself, and an iTunes library which had everything 16bit, and all the compressed files. I also have Apple Music, so there was some steaming as well. When I got Roon, I set it up to watch both libraries. It was nice to be able to listen to almost all my music (both libraries) in a shuffle mode. The only stuff that Roon didnā€™t see was the Apple Music stuff, so I thought Iā€™d try a Hi-res streaming music service, and added, first Tidal (which I wasnā€™t satisfied with) then switched to Qobuz. I stared un-tagging all my Apple Music music streaming tracks, and adding them to Qobuz. I was so happy with this, that I started adding every song/Album that I had in my iTunes library to Qobuz, then deleting it from my iTunes library, finally ridding myself of those Compressed audio files once and for all. It was a lot of faith to put my library in the hands of a streaming service, and deleting hard copies, but I did it, I hope that it doesnā€™t come back to bite me in the ass someday. The kicker is that, when I was deleting, I clicked ā€œremove downloadā€ not ā€œDelete trackā€, Since I still have Apple Music, and despite the fact that that I removes thousands of songs off my hard drives, I still have them in my Apple Music library. I can still stream them in my car, or at work. I know that many are concerned with physically adding songs to their phones or iPods, but I havenā€™t done that for years, I stream everything when away from the house. So, to make a long story short, at home Roon seamlessly mixes all my Hi-res files, the remaining iTunes library (I have some music that isnā€™t available on Qobuz so I kept the physical files), and all my steaming files from Qobuz. It treats them as a single library, and works like a dream. When Iā€™m out of the house, I stream from either Apple Music, or Qobuz, usually Apple Music, because Iā€™m not looking for the highest quality in these situations. Sorry for the long winded story.

Yes you can, from both Artists and Albums, in Artists, pick an Artist, select View All Albums, CNTL-A and then PLAY

from Albums either CNTL-A and PLAY to play everything or Filter to a subset or use thr Right Click / Left Click to pick a bunch of albums and then PLAY

Not by selecting ā€œPlay From Hereā€ because that option is not present. The OP did not want to play all the tracks in his library. He want to start from a particular spot and play on from there. Nor did he want to have to build a queue.

I know, Iā€™m referring to your statement that you canā€™t play albums in linear order.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great thought and I would love to get there too. But Iā€™m a control freak. Iā€™ve watched Netflix get rid of shows and movies I like. so if I like it, and want to listen to it, I keep a physical copy of it myself. After the apocalypse, Iā€™ll be listening to my music on my ipod. :slight_smile: Or if our particular flavor of apocalypse involves nukes, Iā€™ll be using my tube gear. :smiley:

Sheldon

1 Like

The only reason I have 512GB on my iPhone is to take a large chunk of my Music in the Car. That way I can ask Siri to play whatever I want or when I walk my dog with Powerbeats Pro wireless iemā€™s.

I stream from Tidal and Qobuz to my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones when out and about. In the car, I stream using Apple Music if not listening to Sirius XM radio. I like 60ā€™s on 6 and 50ā€™s on 5.

Assuming that will not be the iApocalypse (= no iPod, iPad, iRobotā€¦) :slight_smile:

I have a Miele robot vacuum, so Iā€™ll still be able to be lazy after the iApocalypse.

Sheldon

Post-apocalypse, I suspect a wind-up gramophone will be essentialā€¦

1 Like

My wife plays the Uilleann Pipes (Irish bagpipes) so Iā€™ll need something with more power than that to drown her outā€¦
:smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™m another new user, and I agree with Ricardo_GF that it appears I will have to keep two apps open to do some simple things, when I had hoped to use only Roon. But in Roon, I canā€™t add anything to a Qobuz playlist, nor can I delete anything.

Additionally, I canā€™t add an album to my Qobuz library while also ā€œheartingā€ just a handful of tracks from that album. Once I heart the album, no ā€œadd to libraryā€ options exist for the tracks. And I canā€™t delete tracks or albums from the Qobuz library in Roon once added.

Since Qobuz has 90% of my music, Iā€™m bummed at not being able to add/delete tracks from Qobuz playlists and cherry-pick favorites from a saved album.

I think Roon is an astonishingly beautifully-made piece of software and Iā€™m in love. But I think I will need to run it side-by-side with Qobuz to have control over tracks and playlists. Unless I am missing something, which is highly possible at this early stage.

And lastly, please, no comments about the new thing not being like the old thing. I was simply hoping to use one app, thatā€™s all.

But, isnā€™t this a reality right now? It you"favorite" an album on Qobuz (in Roon or Qobuz app) it becomes part of your library, and you can ā€œheartā€ individual tracks til your hearts content, so to speak? I realize you want your hearted tracs to show in the Qobuz app also, But why even bother with the Qobuz app then?

Yes, we are all waitng for RoonToGo but it might be doable in the mean time.