Can't play next track? Atrociously counter-intuitive - no, thanks

I think that ‘favoriting’ has always been one way only: streaming service into Roon. No feedback up to the streaming service, but I don’t use the streaming apps enough enough to be sure.

Not so. It’s a two-way sync. If you add an album or track from a streaming service to your library, it will be marked as a “Favorite” in the streaming service’s app.

2 Likes

I think maybe I wasn’t clear. Here are the issues I highlighted that make me have to keep both Qobuz and Roon running side-by-side:

In Roon, I can’t add anything to a Qobuz playlist, nor can I delete anything. That makes me keep Qobuz open alongside Roon.

I can’t add an album to my Qobuz library while also “hearting” just a handful of tracks from that album. Once I add a Qobuz album to the library in Roon, no “add to library” options exist for the tracks – so I can’t cherry-pick desired tracks in Roon to heart in Qobuz. Making me keep Qobuz open alongside Roon.

In Roon, I can’t delete tracks or albums from the Qobuz library once added. Making me keep Qobuz open alongside Roon.

Also, while it may be a “two-way sync” to add things to the Library, the heart icons don’t tell that story. Open any Qobuz album in Roon. Let’s say you “hearted” half the tracks in Qobuz. NO hearts will show in Roon. There’s no way to know which tracks you saved for favorite listening later. You have to go back to Qobuz, look at the tracks you hearted, then cherry-pick them into a playlist or queue in Roon. Making me keep Qobuz running alongside Roon.

I hope this makes is clearer why I’m having difficulty achieving my desired one-app solution with Roon.

That’s because the “Heart” icons have different contexts between Roon and the streaming services. Yes, they mean “Favorite” - but a “Favorite” in Qobuz means in the context of the Qobuz service; whilst a “Favorite” in Roon means in the context of your Roon Library content. The two “Favorites” are not the same thing.

I’m not denying that there’s not room for improvement, just pointing out that the meanings of symbols are not equivalent across services.

Thank you, Geoff. I do realize that. Roon was very good at explaining during the onboarding that a heart in Roon was just for Roon. Unfortunately for me, that is one of the things that make me keep Qobuz open alongside Roon.

My wish would be that if you “heart” a Qobuz track, it’s hearted in both the Roon Library and in Qobuz. That way, you would know which Qobuz tracks are your desired ones while using Roon.

Unfortunately, doing that would change the way Roon works now. In the Qobuz app, :heart: means both:

• Favorite the album/track in Qobuz, and
  • Add to the Roon Library

There is no explicit “Add to the Roon Library” in the Qobuz or Tidal apps (and how could there be?), so Roon Labs appear to have chosen to “overload” the :heart: function in the streaming apps when used with Roon.

In order to do what you are asking, I think Roon Labs would have to add a third function: make the added album/track a Roon favorite. Then, those of us who simply wanted to add an album or track from a streaming service (without making it a Roon “favorite”) would have to do this from within Roon using the Roon “Add to Library” function.

There are probably further ramifications to this, but that’s for Roon Labs to contemplate.

Perhaps you should add your voice, and your use case, to this Feature Request, which is asking for much the same thing:

But, be careful what you wish for :slight_smile: It seems to me that if Roon Labs implemented this, you would still be no closer to your “one-app” solution. You would get a “one-click” solution, but only in the Qobuz app. In Roon, you would still have two functions: “Add to Library” and “Make a Favorite”.

Thank you for the thorough explanation, and for the link to the Feature Request. I will indeed add my voice to the Feature Request. I know it wouldn’t take much for Roon to make a clicked heart universal across Roon and streaming, because “Add to Library” already engages the heart icon in Qobuz (albeit only for albums, not for tracks, or vice versa). It proves that Roon can manipulate the Qobuz heart icon.

I just want to be able to, in Roon, “heart” an album and “heart” desired tracks from that same album and see those choices reflected in Qobuz, as it’s a Qobuz album, after all. And also see it in Roon. Seeing my carefully selected Qobuz track hearts as nothing but blanks in Roon Player is disheartening, no pun intended.

1 Like

Do you use Qobuz “on-the-go”?

Qobuz “on-the-go?” Do you mean with a smartphone or tablet?

Yes, such as in “why bother with the Qobuz app at all?”

Yes, I have the Qobuz smartphone app (for the car and other out-of-the-home experiences). Plus, I have thousands of “hearted” tracks in Qobuz. It would take months — or more — to heart them again in Roon, and I would need both apps side-by-side to match up those tracks. Sound like fun? :slightly_smiling_face:

Additionally, I hope to have the Qobuz streaming service (or something like it) forever, because that’s where the music is. Roon is beyond awesome and I hope to have that forever as well, but if I had to choose for any reason, that choice is obvious. Consequently, I need those heart icons to be correct in Qobuz, which means I need the Qobuz app open simultaneously with Roon, because Roon won’t let me fully control the Qobuz hearts.

Well… If you lie down with dogs… :wink: Just kidding!

Just a suggestion then, if you spend your time adding favorite tracks to playlists instead, they will be available in Roon also. Would that be a reasonable workaround?

Once again it is obvious that that people that think around music as individual tracks or parts of a playlist, will have difficulties to make “everything” work perfectly within Roons boundaries, and album-centric way of looking at music.

Perhaps I’m just old, but I fully agree with Roons basic concept here. Never could understand why one would went to play a track out its album context. But, I realize this is not the way all music is intended
to be enjoyed.

1 Like

Good stuff, Mikael. The workaround wouldn’t work for me, because once I needed to edit a Qobuz playlist, I’m back in Qobuz. Roon won’t let me add or delete a track from a Qobuz playlist.

One of my favorite playlists is the one where I toss in things I might want to hear, new albums and singles that just dropped. As I listen to the playlist, I “heart” songs and albums I like. Once the playlist has been listened to, I empty it and start over again with new stuff. None of that Qobuz playlist editing would work in Roon.

I hear you about listening to tracks out of their album concept. I’ll fight anyone who tries to listen to Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” out of context. However, it’s a singles, special release, and EP world these days. Gotta adapt, or people won’t think I’m cool! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’d bet the bulk of us deal with at least two systems for our music. I still am in bed with iTunes and apple music because I have iDevices and I listen to music in the car, at work, etc.

Roon is just a piece of my music landscape, it would have to expand it’s functionality dramatically to take over everything. Because of that, there is a lot of repeated effort on my part. I just accept it and move on.

I would have hoped that the “full body hug” that roon is allowed from Tidal and Qobuz would be a bidirectional thing but apparently it isn’t. I noticed that if I go to Qobuz directly it has no idea what I’ve been playing and the discover page is pretty awful because of that.

Sheldon

1 Like

Interesting sub-thread on aspects of the Qobuz integration you kindled here, @Electrofunkmeister.

Just to stir this cauldron a bit more, the way I see it even Roon’s intended logic can break down when the use of Qobuz favourites includes tracks (as opposed to Releases). Normally, when a release is a favourite in Qobuz, this equates to it being in the Roon library - in its entirety of course. But if one has the audacity to mark both a release and one (or more) of it’s tracks as favourite in Qobuz, and subsequently remove the track from favourites, the result in Roon is that only a partial album is left in the library, without the now (in Qobuz) un-favourited track.

Perhaps not a bug, but plain weird IMO. It means that the exact same configuration in Qobuz with regard to favourites can be reflected differently in Roon, solely depending on the history of adding and removing favourites.

1 Like

You guys have to remember that Roon and Qobuz are completely separate products. Roon has no control over the Qobuz app and Qoboz has no control over Roon. They have different interfaces and certainly different functionality. You are not going to have either one match up perfectly with the other. Get used to it…

1 Like

Hi @Speed_Racer. Roon aspires to tight integration with Qobuz and Tidal. My post simply mentioned that a specific aspect of this integration is not working as could (should? ) be expected.
I strongly believe that it is not necessary or helpful for Roon or its users to get used to the specific behaviour mentioned. Qobuz and Roon do collaborate to make the integration happen and are surely interested in user experiences.
Having said that, no feature request here (wrong thread), just an observation.

1 Like

You aren’t getting what I am saying. Roon does not have tight Integration with the Qobuz or Tidal apps. Any integration we users get between Roon and the apps is a bonus. I don’t use Qobuz outside of Roon so I personally couldn’t care less what integration there is with the Qobuz app. All I care about is having access to the Qobuz library using the Roon interface.

Qobuz has a set of requirements for its UI that is not ever going to be the same as Roon’s. Expecting there to be a a direct mapping between the two is unreasonable.

3 Likes

Well, Roon does show Tidal curated content on the Tidal page, but that’s about it. I don’t use it. I love the unified local + Tidal library concept.

1 Like

I liked your post, so was going to “like” it, but then changed my mind.

I’ll elaborate; It’s not meaningful to make Roon into a Tidal/Qobuz client (imo) as the library integration should eliminate any need to use Qobuz/Tidal clients at all. And they already do that today, fulfilling my needs (but not yours, unfortunately).
However, extending synchronization of (imo) unrelevant parts could, and frankly most likely would, increase dependancies of internet connectivity, bandwidth, waste resources, increase lag etc.

What is needed and wanted though is “Roon On The Go”, a portable solution for cars, out of connectivity areas, the option to cache parts of library on a iPhone etc.