Can't play reliably with Oppo HA-2 on Nucleus

Thanks very much Danny. I know you are flat out with replies but really appreciate you help. It’s hard when I can’t just swap in and out other gear and ,as said, I am no expert. I just love listening to music.I was getting a little concerned as I only have one day left before I cannot return the nucleus, no questions asked, to the retailer. In case it was an issue with this particular nucleus unit.
I have commenced playing to the muso as per your instructions…no database backup installed and no connection at tidal account at present. (I have ,via focus, removed dsd’s and 192’s from the playlist as the muso can’t handle those files from my memory)
Thanks again

Actually just checked and muso can handle 192’s. Anyway ,have pruned them out of the test playlist.

Hi Danny,
The nucleus has been airplaying to the naim muso for 22 hours continuously now, as per your instructions, without a problem.
How long do you want me to continue? What should be the next step?
Thanks
James

Have stopped play after near 28 hours continuous airplay to muso without problems. Am interstate for a day.

Hey James,

Thanks for letting us know the results here. Certainly seems like Danny’s analysis here was on the right track:

Since we don’t have that device in house we’re flying a little blind here, but we’re going to look into this and see what we can do. Obviously, getting our hands on gear from Oppo is a bit trickier than it was a few months back.

We’ll what we can figure out, and we’ll let you know as soon as we have some news here @James_O_Brien.

If you have a chance to audition or purchase a new DAC like you mentioned below, definitely let us know if you have any other issues.

And again James, thanks so much for your patience as we continue to work through this. Our apologies for the trouble!

Thanks Mike, so it seems the reset and reinstalled software in the nucleus is functioning normally over a 28 hour period in the airplay senario.
Danny suggested I not install my database backup for this test.
Should I reset and reinstall the software again, this time using my database backup? Or can I still install my database somehow on the current clean system? If so , could you explain the process. Are you also suggesting I don’t continue to use the oppo HA-2 dac?
Thanks

If you want try the oppo now, feel free. Do not restore your backup until you are ready to either proceed confidently or give up on the oppo.

After restoring the backup, yoy need to remap your storage to point to the new USB drive. Do not add the drive as new storage.

Thanks Danny,
I’ll wait to install backup. When the time comes what is the best way to do it other than resetting and reinstalling the programme again and installing database when prompted?

“After restoring the backup, yoy need to remap your storage to point to the new USB drive. Do not add the drive as new storage.”

Sorry Danny, could you explain that in kids terms?:flushed: Do you mean if I reset and reinstall the programme and then restore the backup, I then go to storage in settings and confirm the correct usb drive? I’m just completely sure what you mean.

After you restore the backup

• Go into Settings > Storage
  • Find your drive
  • Click Edit (in the three dots, next to the drive)
  • Click browse and point it to the new location

The key thing is that you don’t leave the old drive configured while simultaneously adding the new drive. In that case, the files are being tracked in two places (the old drive and the new drive).

Basically, it’s important you update Roon’s configuration and say “these files are now in this location” as opposed to adding a new drive and telling Roon “here are some new files”.

Thanks Mike,
I really apoligize for all these, what must seem to you all, naive questions ,but I’m still a bit confused…

1. What is the best way to restore my database? Should I reperform the reset and restore sequence Danny outlined above to create a fresh roon server again or is there another better way?
  2. When I restore my database, and go to settings/ storage … will all the old storage locations I had previously be there?If so should I delete them as they are not relevant any more? Should I delete them also, as they may be the cause of my original issues?
  3. If my current drive isn’t listed in settings/storage , I will need to navigate to it and select it? Correct? I mention this as my last backup may have been “ pre new, latest drive”. (NB… all the drives have the exact copy of my library on them).
  4. Is it possible my old database may contain something which will reintroduce problems again? Maybe something in the storage settings?( I hope not as I would hate to loose all my playlists and tidal albums)
  5. Apart from point 3. above, under what circumstances do I need to point to a new drive location ?

I am currently playing the nucleus with the newly created fresh roon server , which I had airplaying to the naim muso with no issues over a 28 hour period, back on my main original system with the oppo dac (plus different usb cord). If no issues arise over an extended period I may reintroduce my database after your reply.
Thanks
James

No apologies needed, James – we want to get this resolved for you, so ask as many questions as you need.

So, I think Danny’s suggestion was that you will want to isolate the Oppo issues from anything related to the database.

For now, I would connect the Oppo again and see how it goes. If everything is stable over a day or two, then we can try restoring the database again.

To do that, go into Settings > Backups, click the Browse button in the “Find Backups” section. It will overwrite the database you’ve been testing with, but again, lets see if the Oppo is stable with the test database, and then we can move forward restoring the backup if things seem stable.

Thanks James!

Thanks Mike,
I really appreciate all your help. I’m looking forward to posting in threads relating to music enjoyment with your wonderful product, rather than this saga, soon.

1 Like

I do note that although I performed a reset and restore 2 days ago without any restoring of my database, I have a whole list of playlists going back weeks?? I would have thought I would have no history in that regard.Is that normal?

Ok,
so it looks like around 7.45 pm play stopped. History screen shown below. This is playing on my main system with the oppo HA-2 dac. Same problem presentation as previously but on the fresh roon server which was trouble free airplaying to the naim muso for 28 hours a day ago. rebooted nucleus and all normal again.

This “unavailable” event has now occurred with and without the oppo dac and also with different different ext. drives.

I am heading off to take a look at the Peachtree nova 300 or 150 integrated Amplifier in the next few days… This will be a large outlay for me but something I have been considering for a while for a future purchase… I am doing this as my feeling is the oppo dac , for whatever reason, seems to be common factor in these issues…not always…but mostly. I have no idea really , what is going on. The oppo seems to work with Audirvana plus on the MBP.There is so many variables in the presentation of these issues. A main problem seems to be the unavailability of files over a number of drives tested.The nucleus needs a hard shutdown to stop it always.Never has a quick push of the button turned it off.Why??Old data shows on the playlist area on a supposedly clean reinstall of the programme.?? I just hope that the system will work with a new intergrated amp. with it’s dac.
I would really appreciate supports comments when they can.
thanks
James

Why not try a raspberry pi with ropieee for not much outlay and connect the ha-2 via usb to that. Did the pi work fine again on the Mac? If you still want to use the ha-2 as an endpoint

Hi Wizard,
I’m just not one of those computer fiddling guys. Like all of us, I’ve used them for decades, had audio gear for many more decades,but never had an interest in delving into the anatomy and building things. So I want something off the shelf that just works. I thought that was what I was getting with this last purchacse, but obviously, there is some issue that doesn’t work with the selected components. The oppo HA-2 , when I tested it back with the MBP last week for many hours worked fine.
This issue is variable in onset,( it may occur within an hour or after many,many hours of trouble free playing), and variable in component configurations. I’ve had issues with, and without the oppo in the chain.

This “unavailable” event has now occurred in tests with and without the oppo dac and also with different different ext. drives. As I have said, I am lost here.

I now find myself at the stage where I need to stratigically choose another component, be it a new intergrated amp with onboard dac like the peachtree nova 300, or keep my old yamaha amp and get a new dac to replace the HA-2,(maybe a Qutest). I just have to hope that either choice will solve the problem. No one has suggested there is a problem with the nucleus itself so I am working on that basis. I will wait till support gets back to me however.
Thanks again for your input but the raspberry pi etc test isn’t my thing.

I’m inclined to agree here @James_O_Brien – I think something about the Oppo is causing this interaction, and as mentioned previously we do not have an HA-2 in house to test this further. We are tracking this issue internally, but obviously it’s hard to make progress here, and the tests you’ve done so far certainly point to the HA-2 being the problem.

I hear good things about the Peachtree, and obviously there are lots of options out there. You can see which devices we have in-house for testing here, and I’m absolutely confident we’ll be able to get anything on that list working for you.

Let us know how it goes and we’ll make sure we get this 100% stable for you James. Thanks again!

Thanks Mike,
It’s tempting to assume it’s the oppo but the problem occurs without the oppo also.
Do you have any idea re. My playlist question above?
I note that Peachtree isn’t on your list. Does that mean it doesn’t work seamlessly with the nucleus, raat etc. I don’t want to further compicate things, but the Peachtrees features suit my needs

Can you be more specific here James? I just want to make sure I’m not getting confused about what issue you’re referring to.

This question, right:

If you look at your screenshot, you can see most of these playlists are coming from iTunes – I’m guessing you have iTunes enabled on the storage device if you look in Settings > Storage > Edit?

The other playlists may be M3U files located on your hard drive. You can confirm all of this by disabling the two options in Storage for now.

The Peachtree Nova is certified, but I’m not sure how different that is than the 300 or 150.

More importantly, even if none of the Peachtree products were certified, that doesn’t mean it won’t work – people use Roon with hundreds of DACs that aren’t certified and most times everything goes fine.

I can speak with more authority about certified devices, but to be clear, the issues you’ve experienced with the Oppo are extremely rare, and not something we’ve heard about with other DACs as far as I’m aware.

The issue with play stopping and the history screen showing tracks are unavailable has occurred both with the oppo dac between the nucleus and the amplifier in my main system and also with the nucleus air playing directly to the naim muso, ie, the oppo dac not involved.

You were spot on re the playlists, thanks.