Can't see external hard drive on MacOS [Ticket is in]

Hi Eric,

My HD is connected directly to my iMac via USB I think I mentioned before when detailing make and model that its USB 3.

Below is a screenshot of my storage information

All ---- Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to provide me with the requested information. Very appreciated!

Just to bring everyone up to speed. A ticket with all of your information is now with our developers who will be heading up the investigation into this issue. Once I receive some feedback on their progress, I will be sure to update this thread in a timely manor.

Lastly, I saw a few questions in regard to rolling back to the previous build. I must be clear that we do not support this action. In order for us to try and understand why this issue has occurred with your setups, everything must be “up to date”.

As always, thank you for your understanding and more importantly, thank you for your patience. We will be in touch.

-Eric

@support, if no detail is too small, perhaps this screenshot might be of interest. Haven’t seen any of these yet in this thread. Please note that outside Roon, the drive is available and has not been moved or renamed in any way. When I click on “edit this folder”, Roon shows all internal drives and the first external SDD “Muziek 1 (8TB)”, but no longer the second one, “Foto’s & Films 1 (4TB)”.

28AEC758-7470-4741-8FFE-64326808C3C3

Good capture @koen. Mine was similar before I reinstalled Roon.

@Mark_A_Waidelich, are you saying your problems have been solved by reinstalling Roon? If so, which version of Roon is that?

Does everyone that’s have this issue have more than one external hard drive attached via USB?

Cheers, Greg

Sadly, no. I did reinstall, even using the robust “TinkerTool System” by Marcel Bresink. I was hoping that by uninstalling all traces, including the preferences file(s), it would reset Roon. Reinstalling Roon (v1.3 Build 269) the symptom persisted. So, at the moment, Roon is still inactive.

I have only one USB drive connected via the USB 3.1 Gen 2/Thunderbolt port. The Lacie eSATA hub connects as a Thunderbolt device on another port connecting my optical disk and the NewerTech GMAX RAID 1 array.

I have the exact same problem as discussed above. I am using Mac OS El Capitan (v. 10.11.6) and Roon no longer recognizes my external USB drive. It is also a WDD My Book drive- 4TB partitioned into two drives- one of which is my music drive. All other computer applications see and access this drive, so I’m sure it’s a Roon issue. I get the message “This drive is not available.” Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon!

Hi @Chris_Morris, that makes four of us already. As your OS is the third variety in this issue, plus a slightly different HDD, I think it would be helpful if you too answer in detail (with screen shots) all of @Eric‘s above questions: Can't see external hard drive on MacOS [Ticket is in]

Here are the screenshots from my mac:

1. Screen capture of Roon Browser window to locate a storage folder:

1. Screen capture of the three hard disks on my mac (Chris’ My Book has the music folder I use)

23 PM

1. Screen capture of storage for Macbook Air hard drive

1. Screen capture of Chris’ My Book hard drive (connected via USB)

1. Screen capture of “Time Machine Backups” hard drive (connected via USB)

1. Screen shot of my OS:

00 PM

Hope this helps…

@support I’ve discovered something interesting that perhaps might be of some help. One thing I haven’t tried yet, was to simultaneously connect my first HDD – the “Muziek 1 (8TB)” and its backup, the “Muziek 2 (8TB)”. (Before this, I’ve only tried combinations of one 8TB HDD and one 4TB HDD – like my setup normally is.)

And much to my surprise, this time Roon did recognize two HDD’s again! Hoping the problem perhaps might be solved, I disconnected the backup “Muziek 2 (8TB)” and replaced it with my second music drive, “Foto’s & Films 1 (4TB)”. However, just like over the past week, this one didn’t show up in Roon. Hope this helps…

I don’t use my 4 TB WD drive on my Mac for use in Roon. I connect it to my Mac occasionally to load music files and then connect it to my Oppo for use with a DLNA server.

It was not initially detected when I first connected it to my Mac and even on subsequent uses it fails to be detected.

The drive came with a WD disc utility and once I run the utility, the drive always appear as an available device. FWIW that’s with High Sierra.

It’s been very quiet from Roon for over three days now. Anything to share, guys? An update, findings, any progress, even if the progress is “no progress”? I appreciate you’re busy, I just think that perhaps it might help to keep us a bit involved :wink:

Hi folks,

First off, we have identified the change that caused this bug, which means we can reproduce the problem in house and now know how to resolve the issue. This is by far the most important step for us to fix issues like this, so I’m happy to say that a fix for this issue will be in our next release.

We have traced this issue to some changes we made to our handling of folder names on CIFS/SMB shares, and we believe you should be able to work around this by removing ' (or other non-standard characters) from the folder path and re-scanning.

Now that we have identified where the issue originated, we can actually turn this change off for the specific users that are affected, without requiring anyone to run additional command line parameters or anything like that. We can’t always do this, but in this case it’s possible.

I’ll be making the change in the next hour, and then you should all reboot your Core and let us know if things have improved. We appreciate everyone’s patience, and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

1 Like

@mike, it would be great if that solves the problem. Can I try already, or do I have to wait for you to give a sign? I’m about to go to sleep, otherwise I’ll try it tomorrow morning. Please provide us with detailed instructions, as I don’t know if I understand you correctly: are you saying you can turn the need to change the HDD names off for us, or not, or just temporarily? And if renaming is needed now or at a later stage, will this cause a complete deep-scanning of all files again, taking up weeks in my case, in which Roon is virtually unusable?

Sorry – let me clarify.

The change that caused this issue has now been disabled server-side. All that should be necessary is restarting the Core, and hopefully you’re good to go.

@koen @Mark_A_Waidelich @Peter_Hayns @Chris_Morris – please let us know how it’s going.

@mike, I restarted my core, but unfortunately no improvements: the drive is still not available, and when I try to add it, it still isn’t displayed as an option in Roon (though perfectly identified by my Mac).

Hrm, let me enable some diagnostics here. Would you mind restarting one more time @koen?

You’re the first man who gets me out of bed, Mike :wink:

1 Like