Chromecast from Roon to Sony KDL55XD7005 [Resolved - Firewall]

hello, my Sony TV has chromecast built in, it shows up as a device on Roon, when i select it to play music all i get is a black screen with a ‘Roon’ logo in the middle, an a part of a circle that just goes round continually, any suggestions please? My Simpleaudio device with a Roon upgrade is working great, so my core is ok? I did a reinstall just to be sure, suggestions please?

Hey @David_Haslett1 — Thanks for sharing your observation with us. Your feedback is always appreciated!

May I ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Since updating to the latest version of Roon, have you tried power cycling your Core machine, networking hardware, and the Sony TV that has Chromecast built in?

Thanks,
Dylan

what version of Roon you are running (Settings > About; If you’re running Windows, please let us know whether you’re running 32bit or 64 bit)
Roon 1.5 (version 334) 64bit

What operating system you are running (Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc)
Windows 10 64bit

Basic information about the device you’re using (MacBook Pro 2011 w 4gb of RAM; HP Envy laptop w i7; etc).
Home made Asus H110M i3 6100 3.7Ghz 16Gb RAM

Describe where your music is stored – this includes hard drive description and interface type (USB, Firewire, etc. If you are using a NAS or any other kind of network storage, be sure to include the information requested in the Network section below)
Local drive d:

Let us know your collection size (approximate number of tracks)
21700 approx

The ROON Core works fine with my Simpleaudio Roonbridge, my installation is talking to the TV since it switches to a ‘Roon Logo’ and there is a circle that rotates, but that it all it does

I have powered down all devices and rebooted, I use a netgear FS109? Switcher

Thanks for the update, @David_Haslett1!

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

-Dylan

1 Like

There is no error code, the system just displays the Roon logo and the circle keeps going round, this times out after 20 mins or so

Thanks for the info, @David_Haslett1.

While there is no error code, knowing when you try connecting to the Chromecast will allow us to analyze the logs in reference to that timeframe and helps us narrow things down. If you can try connecting once more, please note the time that the Roon logo displays on the TV and then we can reference the report for that time.

-Dylan

hello my PC clock states 23:23 (bst) when the connection attempted to start. It timed out at approx 23:28

My PC will cast youtube videos, to my TV without difficulties

no reply? bump

Hey @David_Haslett1,

I wish to offer my sincere apologies on the delay! I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers for the aforementioned diagnostics report but I have not seen it come through yet. I’ve re-enabled diagnostics on your account so the next time that your Core is active the report should come through.

Thanks for your patience @David_Haslett1, and apologies once again for the delay. As soon as the report comes through I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass it along to the team!

-Dylan

Hey @David_Haslett1,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Core machine.

Thanks,
Dylan

Hello @dylan my free trail expired, so I have signed up for another, no point in paying until this matter can be resolved?

Moderator edit: personal information removed.

Issue solved, my Windows 10 firewall settings needed changing

Is it possible to get Chromecast to group with other Zones?

Only with other Chromecast devices.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.