Chromecast frozen a few seconds into track - playing other tracks does not change display

Hi, with this new version my attached google cast thingy has shown the first track I played about 2 seconds in and has froze.

Any other tracks I play have no effect and I turned off the display and back on but its stuck on that one track.

I guess the only thing to do now is reboot the server, but I never saw this behaviour in 1.5

Hi @Gareth_Irwin,

Please try rebooting the Core and Chromecast. It may have just been a temporary hiccup but if it occurs again do let me know.

Thanks,
Noris

FWIW this is happening constantly and never happened once in the last release

Hello @Gareth_Irwin,

Thanks for letting me know. I would try rebooting your Core and Chromecast to see if that helps and I also just asked QA to do some more testing on Chromecast devices to verify if they can reproduce.

What are the details for your setup? What kind of PC is running Roon, Windows/Mac/Linux? What type of Chromecast devices do you have, regular Chromecast, Chromecast ultra or built-in TV Chromecast?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi noris, well rebooting the server does help, until it happens again.

I have what is essentaially a modern nuc with 8 gigs ddr4 ram.

The cpu is low power pentium silver J5005 quad at 1.5GHz

Windows 10 latest

Roon is sat on the boot SSD and all music is local on 3 more SSDs.

Before the latest update I never saw this behaviour

Hello @Gareth_Irwin,

Thanks for letting me know. I have submitted your findings to QA who is investigating Chromecast behavior but as a side note, your NUC definitely falls under our Recommended Specs so I would try to see if you can upgrade it to have a stable Roon experience.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris, Its low powered for sure but equally quad core with 8gigs ddr4 ram and all SSD, its no slouch for delivering music. Furthermore before the update it worked flawlessly.

However I have also been having a few issues on my wifi network, most odd issues such as I cannot remote desktop connect to 2 of the 4 pcs on my network, but can connect wired. To that end I have decided to get some ubiquiti kit. I will see how everything behaves over the next week.

1 Like

There’s a few problems with Chromecast display in 1.6. I think it’s related to the code that was put in to fix the aspect ratio problem.

I intend to add more in another thread.

Hi folks

I moved my roon to a more powerfull server, it now has 8 corse of zeon goodness and 16 gigs of ram. Running on a very fast server all the music is also on 4 SSDs in raid 0. Suffice to say its fast and powerful

I still find the google display freezes, a few seconds into a track and boom thats the end of that.

I cannot be the only one surely?

Hi @Gareth_Irwin,

Can you please let me know what your network setup is like (model/manufacturer of the router) and how the Chromecast and Core are connected in this setup? Are you using WiFi for both or are they on Ethernet?

Are there any patterns to when this behavior occurs? Only on higher-resolution tracks, only on TIDAL tracks, only DSD, ect?

– Noris

Hi. I have a PC running untangle as a router (enterprise software) switches in the network are Ubiquiti.

I have two options for chromecast, one is the little google puck thing and one is an nvidia shield tv. The shield is connected via ethernet, the puck via wifi (also ubiquiti/unifi stuff)

Core is on ESXI hypervisor as a virtual. Its a dell workstation, 24 core twin zeon, 48 gigs ram, connected via ethernet to the ubiquiti switch

No pattern so far as I can tell, just bums out about 2 seconds in and the screen is froze there. Music plays just fine. Sometimes does it, sometimes does not.

Hi @Gareth_Irwin,

Can you let me know the exact local time + date in your country when this behavior next occurs? I would like to take a look at the diagnostics from your Core machine to see if there is perhaps any further clues in that aspect. Once I have timestamps I can go ahead and enable this mode for your account.

– Noris

Will do I would like to get this sorted.

Well there you go, 22.41 UK time 07/06/19

Playing pink floyd Astronomy Domine, bummed out 1 second into playback on the screen (music carries on just fine)

ONe thing I think can be ruled out is the router in as much as I swapped it out today to different hardware and running PFSense rather than untangle, same issue.

Hi @Gareth_Irwin,

Thanks for letting me know those timestamps. I have activated diagnostics mode and what this does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis. I am reviewing the logs but unfortunately they are inconclusive, Roon appears to be logging just one specific error type over and over again. I can’t say if this is related to the Chromecast issue or not, but I will consult regarding this aspect with the QA team.

What would really help here next is manual logs right after the issue occurs along with a timestamp. Can I please ask you to reproduce this behavior once more, note the time it occurs at, and then shortly after it occurs manually send me a copy your logs using these instructions? The best way to get these over to me would be through a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link.

Thanks,
Noris

OK thats not a problem will do today.

FWIW all other aspects of roon seem fine, and due to I gues the raid SSD set up an zeon processors everything is pretty much instant.

Kind regards

1 Like

I worked out you are probably not getting a lot from the logs because the freeze I thought had occurred was the one from the last time, I just coincidentally played the same track so thought it was new…

I’ll keep an eye out this weekend for it.

1 Like

Hi this has reared its ugly head again and its super frustrating.

I had to give up on the little server my previous logs were from and return roon back to a virtual. It runs flawlessly in a virtual and screen casting is perfect

Recently I have moved roon to a dedicated server. A dell T310 running a quad core Zeon 3430 and 12 gigs of ram. This is a better spec than the virtual.

All works fine except screen casting, it bums out on the first track that is displayed and the only way to fix it is to reboot the chromecast then the next song immediately bums out and freezes.

Is there anything I can do, any way to make this work it seems super super fussy on what server hardware its on, but I would argue that this server is plenty powerful.

Hi @Gareth_Irwin,

What kind of OS is the Dell T310 running, is it Windows 10 or a flavor of Windows Server? Have you tried factory resetting the Chromecast unit yet? Sometimes factory resetting them helps with issues, so it might be worth a try.