Chromecast Sample Rates?

So, in effect, you are creating a video only endpoint. Can this be expanded to PC’s and other devices used in Home Theaters? For example, I’m playing audio to my SB3 endpoint and also sending the video to RoonBridge on a HTPC connected to a TV. Why keep all the fun for Chromecasts? :grinning:

1 Like

The Chromecast UI that you can see today was built on web standards and is displayable by any modern web browser. What’s missing is a way to configure it/kick it off in some of these other situations.

That will come with time–Chromecast was just the first/easiest target, and we really needed to do a nice display to consider the Cast feature complete.

3 Likes

That feature, been able to cast songs-info-cover-pictures to a regular chromecast while audio streaming to a Chromecast audio or other audio zone, would be literaly awesome. I´m actually streaming audio to a chromecast audio in the kitchen and share the roon remote screen of an Android table to a regular chromecast connected to a monitor close to the kitchen´s speakers. It works, but certainly not as easy, elegant, visual and clean as the new regular-chromecast visual feature you´re talking about Brian. Hope it´ll be ready sooner than later :). Loving Roon so far (six months using it). Thanks to all the team for your work!

3 Likes

Brian, how about having that display functionality through HDMI too (no chromecast)?

I am using Nucleus via HDMI into my processor in my home theatre and it would be neat to be able to see “something” like pictures on the theatre screen while listening. I amsure plenty of HT users would really like that as currently only a DOS lookalike message displays.

Christmas present? :slight_smile: Hope you can make it happen! Thank you!

1 Like

At the moment, I don’t have a need to use a Chromecast for audio but I would definitely get one to use for display of Roon metadata, only, on my TV. This would be a fantastic feature and I’m sure that it would be a more elegant solution to what I’m doing now.

Brian, do you have a time frame for this?

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Just tying threads together here - the display feature really needs to have a proper screensaver mode:

2 Likes

That is brilliant!

Any updates on this?

Work is in progress…not much more to say. We don’t announce ETA’s in public.

3 Likes

I am really, really, looking forward to this. No pressure Brian. :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Brian

Good to know it’s still being worked on, thanks for the update.

:slight_smile:

Also looking forward to this feature, no doubt.

1 Like

Same here,
waiting to have a now-playing-screen on my Sony TV (recognised as a Chromecast device) while sending audio from roon rock to avr

Very cool. This feature would be a perfectly swell answer to this question I posed a couple of years ago.

I just started using Roon today after researching for months and experiencing the UI at my local audiophile shop and couldn’t be happier with the interface. My only disappointment was that I didn’t realize that Chromecast Ultra Display couldn’t be grouped with Sonos zones. I had thought/imagined that each Sonos zone would be grouped with a display enabling me to play, for example, music through the Sonos Connect AMP/Kitchen Ceiling Speakers while displaying the track/Artist info on the Kitchen TV through Chromecast Ultra.

This would bring a whole new dimension to music play throughout the house and make Roon invaluable for my whole family’s use and not just my own. I find that introducing my children to music is made more effective by having them associate artist and images which I can do now by Chromecasting my Roon remote but I would love to cut my phone/ipad out of the equation and have a linked zone across Chromecast Display and Sonos Connect Amps.

“Party Mode” would then be enabled by having all 11 of my Sonos zones and all 4 of my Chromecast Ultra Zones (display only - no audio) be synched. I really couldn’t be happier about the fact that you, Brian, Roon CTO is actively addressing questions and letting us all know you are working on this functionality. The day that you release this I will immediately have a party! :slight_smile: Thank you!!!

1 Like

Were you able to do this/is it still doable? I want to do this to avoid my TV’s built-in Chromecast outputting everything 48khz. But it seems I’m not able to group the two in Roon.

You have to group the chromecasts in Google Home not roon.

I don’t bother, because Roon added the Now Playing page that does the same thing.
I normally have it on the iPad, if I want it on the big TV I mirror the iPad to the Apple TV. (But I never do.)

So the Chromecast devices are unused. I blew $50.

Hi, I found your post from last year, and wondered if you can help me spot what I’m missing. I’ve been using a Chromecast Audio in the kitchen for some time, successfully streaming up to 24/96 using the analogue out. I decided to get an external DAC (Cambridge DacMagic 100) and connect using the TOSLINK. It’s improved the sound significantly, but … now I can’t stream anything above 48kHz.

So, for example, if I upsample CD quality to 88.2kHz or stream 24/88.2 then Roon tells me it’s playing, but the DAC lights tell me that it’s not locked on to anything.

Since the DAC can handle 88.2 and 96kHz, I’m reluctant to have to downsample, but currently that’s what I’ve had to set to ensure it plays properly.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi John, I later found out Chromecast Audio supports 96kHz via optical output only on paper.

It hasn’t worked at 96kHz for a long while unfortunately. Check out this Google thread of complaints:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/356030

1 Like