Clicks and Pops with Holo Audio Spring [Powercycle DAC]

Hi,

I’m using MacBook Pro (macOS High Sierra 10.13)>Roon v1.3>ultraRendu v1.1.21 w/Sonic Orbiter v2.5 using a KTE Holo Audio Spring DAC and I’m intermittently hearing soft, as well as very loud clicks/pops when initially pressing play and skipping forward/backwards. Also, when switching sample rates or from PCM to DSD (and vise-versa) I’m hearing very loud clicks/pops.

I’m new to Roon as I’ve mentioned before, so any help with this issue would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Joseph

Hi @Joseph ,

In Roon Settings/Audio for the ultraRendu:

• Try different settings for General/Resync Delay. I’m using 100 ms;

• Under the Playback Tab, set Max Sample Rate at Up to 384 and Max Bits per Sample (PCM) to 24.

Let us know if that helps.

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. Prior to my post I did some research and increased did increase the re-sync, but unfortunately this didn’t solve my issue. I haven’t tried setting the sample/bit rates as you recommended, though. I’ll try doing both at the same time and see if this solves my issue.

Thank you very much,
Joseph

I also can’t seem to remove my last name through the setting menu hereon the site. How can this be done?

Thank you,
Joseph

Just like that :wink:

Thank you very much, Andrew.

Hi @Joseph ---- Touching base with you to see how things were going and if any new progress or observations have been made since your initial report. My apologies for the slow response.

Please let us know how things are holding up and if further assistance is required, drop a flag for “support” (i.e @support) in your response so the team is notified of your feedback, and we’ll be glad to lend a hand.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Ive changed the setting according to Andrews advice, but still had the popping/clicking issues when changing the Resync sample/bit rates, but to less of a degree. I still need to play around with these setting before giving my final results, I just had a busy weekend and haven’t had the time, but I will keep you informed. Thank you for the reply.

Joseph

Sometimes a reboot of the Spring can help. Just means powering it off completely with the power switch at the back rather than putting it in Standby, wait ten seconds, then power on again.

Andrew,

I will try this as well.

Thank you,
Joseph

@andybob & @Eric

I’ve powered my Spring DAC/SU-1 on/off for a good 1/2hr and I’m still getting the clicking noise while changing sample rates. I’ve set my Max Sample Rate (PCM) up to 768kHz (being my DAC/SU-1) supports this) and my Resync Delay is set to 100ms (from 50ms) and the Max Bit Sample is set to 24. Tonight I’m going to increase the Resync Delay to 500ms and report back.

Just a quick thought, would it possibly help if I re-installed Roon? I ask this because I’ve noticed when I swipe to the Roon window from other open windows (e.g. Safari/Mail) with the touch pad on my MacBook Pro I’m getting a quick flash (like a camera flash) from the Roon window which I’m not getting when swiping to any other open windows.

Thank you very much,
Joseph

Hi @Joseph ---- I wanted to touch base and see how your test with the increase to 500ms on the Resync Delay went.

Furthermore, if you are still having this issue with the “clicks and pops” after the mentioned adjustment, during your troubleshooting have you…

• Confirmed if you experience the same behavior via the system output on the MacBook Pro?

• Tried shortening the chain of communication between your core and the DAC? Perhaps trying with the DAC mounted directly to the core?

“MacBook Pro (macOS High Sierra 10.13)>Roon v1.3>ultraRendu v1.1.21 w/Sonic Orbiter v2.5 using a KTE Holo Audio Spring DAC”

-Eric

Hi @Joseph ---- Just touching base with you to verify that I have seen your PM update to me, thanks!

Moving forward, I think your idea of testing with the Holo Spring DAC mounted directly to the core machine is a very good next step here. Please let me know the outcome of this test and we can continue narrowing down some variables.

Lastly, did you get a chance to test with music being played out of the internal speakers on the core device?

Previous post: “Confirmed if you experience the same behavior via the system output on the MacBook Pro?”

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I haven’t had the chance to continue my process of elimination due to being too busy lately. Tonight I just felt like enjoying some music without testing and launched Roon and was experiencing clicking/popping between tracks on the same album from a Tidal FLAC file 44.1/16 which was the first time this ever occurred.

I quit Roon and re-launched and the issue totally disappeared. Don’t understand what’s going on, very strange behavior. Anyway, I’ll report back on my initial issue with the popping/clicking noise while switching between sample/bit rates when I get the time. For tonight, I just want to enjoy the music.

Thank you very much,
Joseph

1 Like

@Eric,

Tonight when I launched Roon and started listening, there were pops/clicks before and after the tracks playing tracks, so I quit Roon and re-launched and all is good? This is the second time I’ve done this and it has solved this issue. Would you know why this would be? Has anyone ever experienced this same thing?

Thank you,
Joseph

Hi @Joseph ---- Thank you for the update, I appreciate you touching base with me.

Moving forward, while I don’t have the mentioned DAC in front of me I can certainly ask our techs if they have ever experienced this behavior as I believe that we have one in our QA lab.

Furthermore, did you ever get a chance to try the the proposed tests mentioned in my previous post? Having this information will give us a better understanding where the error is occurring.

-Eric

Eric,

Yes, I’m sorry, I’ve done the tests with the same results. The only way for this to be solved is by re-launchning Roon, then I don’t have any issues with popping/clicking at the beginning/end of playback, but still have it while switching sample/bitrtes…this I can’t seem to solve even with the re-launch.

It would be nice if your techs have the Holo Spring DAC, I would like to hear about their finding when switching sample/bitrates, as well as why I need to re-launch Roon when I have the popping/clicking issue at the beginning/end of tracks, but after a re-launch, It’s fine?

Thank you very much,
Joseph

Thanks for verifying this information for me @Joseph, very appreciated!

So based on your follow up, you experience the clicks/pops via the internal speaker of the core machine as well as with the DAC mounted directly to the unit? I just want to make sure I have all of your observations right before I ask for feedback from our techs.

Lastly, when you have a chance Joseph, can you also provide me with a screenshot of the signal path leaving Roon when you hear these pops/clicks?

-Eric

You’re welcome.
I re-tested before replying, this time with different findings.

(1st screen shot)-Output “OS Mixer” initially I had the issue, but then it went away without re-launching?

(2nd screen shot)-Output “CoreAudio Exclusive Mode” I also experienced the same issue, but again, it went away without re-launching?

Also, in “Exclusive Mode” switching sample/bitrates went seamlessly without issue, which by the way, could only be done in “Exclusive Mode” which automatically switches the MBP’s sample/bitrate in the “MIDI Set Up”. Otherwise, in “OS mixer mode” I would need to go into the MIDI Set UP and manually select/match the sample/bitrate.

As I mentioned, strange erratic behavior, but now using “Exclusive Mode” with my headphones directly plugged into my MBP is proving to be seamless, which wasn’t the case the first times I did this.

Thank you,
Joseph

@Eric,

One very important factor I just thought of is that when I’m using my main listening station I’m using a Cat 7 Ethernet cable with the uR.

Tonight I’m going to eliminate the Ethernet cable and go wireless with my main listening station. I’ll report back on my findings.

Thank you,
Joseph

EDIT: 7:58pm