Clicks/pops when skipping or pausing songs

I have the same issue with all songs! Skipping or pausing causes clicks/pops. Happens on my stereo and iPhone. Tidal native app doesn’t do this. I use a sonictransporter i5.
What to do?

Hi @SSK84,

I have split your post into it’s own thread so that we can take a closer look at this behavior. Can you please let me know:

1. Does this issue happen for both Local and Streaming content or just one and not the other?

2. What is your stereo’s model/manufacturer?

3. When this issue occurs on your iPhone, do you have any DACs attached to it or are you hearing it on the iPhone speaker output?

4. Do you notice any patterns to the type of media affected by this issue? E.g. this only affects higher resolution content, specific sample/bit depth rates/ect?

@noris

• Does this issue happen for both Local and Streaming content or just one and not the other? Yes both! Flac 44k or 176k or MQA - doesn’t matter
  • What is your stereo’s model/manufacturer?
    For one I used the iPhone and in addition Kii Three fed by USB over Sonictransporter i5 (my Roon Core) and Allo DigiOne over SPDIF. Both show the same behavior (like my iPhone). In addition I used my Mac mini as Roon Core: Same behavior on iPhone and stereo.
  • When this issue occurs on your iPhone, do you have any DACs attached to it or are you hearing it on the iPhone speaker output? Only iPhone speaker output without additional HW. Same pop/click when pausing or skipping.
  • Do you notice any patterns to the type of media affected by this issue? E.g. this only affects higher resolution content, specific sample/bit depth rates/ect?
    [/quote] Unfortunately it is consistent through the board. When I listen to a playlist without skipping tracks - fine. But skipping through content with low volume (classical music) makes it more present and annoying. It also doesn’t happen every time, but often. It appears whatever song I choose.

I tested the Tidal App again with the same Tidal tracks: no plop or click when pausing or skipping. Smooth as silk on all devices :smile:
Unfortunately not with Roon…

@noris do you have an update on This? Much appreciated!

I also sometimes get this. Local AIFF files, redbook. Metrum Onyx USB to Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum.

Maybe this happens all the way…roon should work on suppressing it…

/var/folders/lx/978bqm1s7wl8k6vq7j4b6qr80000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/cp_768_02_Fig_2_Editing_Mistakes.jpeg

Hi @SSK84,

Do you have any DSP active when this issue occurs? Can you share a screenshot of your Signal Path when music is playing that shows this behavior? Does adding a slight resync delay help with the issue?

Hi @noris,

no DSP! Signal path is violet all the way…

Resync delay doesn’t change it (Even 1000ms not!). Just made a video for you to listen to it via my iPhone. Happens on all devices I have (iPhone, iPad, Stereo).

Hello @SSK84,

The reason you are experiencing these clicks and pops is due to the phenomenon shown in the picture you posted

When the music is stopped during a transient, the momentum of the driver will cause this noise to occur. I have filled a feature request for changing how pausing is handled in Roon with the development team.

-John

1 Like

Please @john John check the private messages

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.