Computer Gaming discussion

All hail the king…

Spent far to much time in my younger years playing games like Doom 2, Quake and DN

Though bring back commander keen I say.

Now I buy games and never play them as I spend far too much time on this site :grin:

1 Like

We have two Playstation 5s etc. We have a specific genre that we like which is less popular than what others like and as you note, one can spend a lot of time on games, but…for the most part it is a harmless expenditure.

1 Like

Two? Most people still can’t even get one.

I could have been clearer. Actually, we got three of them.

My new son-in-law stayed vigilant and got one for himself.

One day he texted me and said he had gotten a second. I told him that I did not know he wanted two. He said he did not, but he thought I might want one. I did and he had it shipped to me.

About two months later, I got another text with the same option, and I got that one. So I have one in two locations in our home.

Then my son created an app whereby he could early detect PS5s in the supply chain and people began going through him to get them. All of this is at MSRP.

But clearly, the supply is extremely limited and apparently worsening due to chip shortage (which today was also announced would relate in a feature being unavailable on the C8 Corvette later this year.

BTW, the PS5 is really something for $499. They say it is a loss leader, and I assume that is true.

Well, I have still been looking when I have the time. Eventually I’ll find one.

One of the Playstation YouTubers who condemned the scalpers is now recommending to pay the scalping price since availability is not expected to improve. Indeed, Sony has re-released the PS4. I was asked to be a beta tester for their new software but declined.

And I’m happy with my good old PS3…

The PS3 can be used to rip SACDs as you know

It’s an excellent machine which is why it’s still here, certainly Sony lost money on every single PS3 they sold !

It is the center piece of my daughter’s system.
It plays CD, SACD, DVD-A, BluRay Audio, BluRay and DVD movies, streams Netflix and Pandora…oh and it can also play games too😂

1 Like

Well, only if you have the fat boy version and the firmware which still allows you to boot into linux

That’s what I owned.

1 Like

I have the ‘fatboy’ version in the loft - and a slim too. I actually took the fatboy apart to do the ‘reballing’, where you get a heatgun to melt the lead in the solder. It actually worked when I did this, I repeated it once since. It was out of warrantly so I thought I might as well try it. My wife went into labour a few hours after, I still told her the ps3 fix had worked, she didnt seem to appreciate my efforts!!!

1 Like

pre quake/ doom was wolfenstein3d

1 Like

That came after Commander Keen :grin:
I used to order them on floppy disk from ID software in the day.
Seems like a lifetime ago

1 Like

I’ve become fascinated with Kerbal Space Program.

If you are at all interested in rocketry I suggest this program. Both NASA and EU space agencies have contributed to it. Is it 100% realistic,not really. But it is fun and I’ve learned a lot about rocketry. Apoapsis, periapsis, Delta V.

If you want something that doesn’t require a ton of button mashing yet requires some thought and design, I recommend it.

2 Likes

Currenlty playing the newly released Solastra Compaign, Darkside Detective, and Lost Ark.

1 Like

Reviving this thread since today is the release of the long awaited Baldur’s Gate 3. The game can be played in co-op mode. I was wondering if there were any fellow Roonies who would be interested in doing that?

1 Like

Is that an underground Ork Metal album :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I’d love to join you @rugby sounds like a lot of fun but I think my wife would not be best pleased if I spend too much time on my PS5.

We’d also have to work around the time difference and I’m coming back to gaming after over 20 years (I had a PS2 that I sold when I emigrated in 2002 :grin:

I’ll have a good think about it as it looks like a fun opportunity!

Ah, old person gaming… I have ‘date night’ - an old buddy from counter-strike 1.6 days coined it (as its his only night off from his wife). A night where we play Warzone 2, a two-man team with a combined age of over 105 years… We lose, a lot.

Hearing 13yo swear at you may not the most rewarding use of HD800s.