Connecting a Gold Note DS 10

Not tired it myself. But the specs say “ AKM AK4493 PCM up to 32bit/768kHz & DSD512 native”

Yes, but for LAN/WLAN only DSD64 and so my question about the behaviour with ROON.
Perhaps you can test it in resampling all output from Roon to DSD512 or DSD256.

If the device is Roon Ready/Tested it won’t let you select resolutions outside of that devices capabilities. If it says DSD64, that is all you are offered.

That’s clear, but perhaps (like Lumin) Goldnote has changed in the last firmware something and the specification (for LAN/WLAN) is not up today.

I’m not sure what you mean, but Lumin has not changed specifications since last firmware. Only added features and fixed some issues.

Also looking at DSD-10. Asked the DSD question of dealer. The response was quick. A screen shot from Roon showing DSD64 through Roon. That is the limitation on ethernet & wifi.

Is the Ds-10 Roon ready? Gold Note’s website says it is, but can’t find it in Roon among certified units.

Jaz,
A sister Gold Note product was released a couple years ago is Roon ready. Roon is in the process of confirming “readiness” but makes no comment till done. GN seems confident and committed to getting it done.

Hello,

Is there any update on the certification?
I am considering this for my office HP system…

I purchased the Gold Note DS10 and the PA 10 partly on the strength of it being Roon Ready and MQA capable. After I set up my DS 10, I went to Roon to direct the output to the DS 10. There was this message that the DS 10 was not as yet fully certified, but I was able to play music from my Roon to the DS 10.
However, some incidents happened. Basically, while playing Roon through the DS 10, I would experience a pause in the music, a few seconds later, the music will burst through at full volume. (97 loudness). It does not matter what was the volume before this burst, when it burst through it would be at full volume. After it happened twice, I was very cautious playing Roon especially when the music paused for no good reason.

Has any of you have a similar experience?

I asked GN yesterday about the certification and got this reply:

“The Roon certification will be done in a couple of weeks, no more.”

I assume there might be some issues which they have to fix first…

I have not had that problem. Have you updated to the newest update? I think it was released over the summer, you can find it on the GN website.

Hopefully certification is not far away, I contacted them today also. Although to be fair I have not had any problems (using WIFI).

Just to follow up on my own message. I heard back just now from Gold Note on Roon Ready certification for DA-10.

Firmware already updated to the latest version, so that’s not the reason. The only thing I can think of, is the lack of certification may miss out something.

Figure out what’s causing the loud bursts, the low volume is the volume set on the physical remote, the loud volume is the volume of the Roon app on the iPad. when I was using Auralic Aries Mini, I set the Roon app at 100, the volume for the amplifier was controlled by the SMSL M500 DAC volume control which is uninfluenced by the Roon app on my iPad.
Now I understand the volume of the DS10 can be controlled by the knob in front, the physical remote, and the Roon app on iPad, they are all equivalent.

If you are using a separate pre-amp you can set the DS-10 to fixed output to bypass the built in pre-amp. I had to tell Roon that the DS-10 was fixed output.

You’ve been using the DS-10 with a Auralic Aries Mini (a streamer) and sometimes a SMSL M500 DAC (a DAC and Headphone Amp)? As the DS-10 can be used as a streamer/DAC/headphone amp/preamp what is the advantage in using the additional equipment?

I just installed the new DS-10 update (16.12.2020) which is listed as “Roon Ready compliance” So i guess this is officially Roon Ready now?

Hello @Richard_Lane,

We’re in the final stages of certification for the Gold Note DS-10. I don’t have a solid date just yet, likely sometime next week.

Roon Core’s check in with our certification database periodically, so once the certification is live your Roon Core will automatically update the status without any intervention required.

-John

2 Likes

Hello,

I just got a new DS-10 and have set it up streaming with Roon.
It works as it supposed to except I can’t play the native DSD64 files without PCM conversion.

I thought DSD64 works now with Roon streaming?

Do you’ve set the volume to fixed and disabled all dsps?