Connecting roon to my Lampizator DAC

Using the M5 I can play music through Roon from my iPhone and iPad so there’s definitely music broadcasting through the M5.

In looking at the Roon partners page Lampizator is not one of them. Perhaps that’s the issue.

Yes, but you had them named differently under “connected to Core” and “Roon Ready”. The latter means on network.

Sorry I cannot help further on this virtually. From far away. I wish I were with you to help you. I am pretty sure it’s a very small thing you are omitting, a silly user error you will eventually hit your head saying “duh!” :joy:

Good luck

Going back again to check in settings it states that the M5 Is connected to the Roon core. That’s what you saw in my screen shot.

At any rate. Thanks for your ideas and help. Much appreciated!!

Then go back and reread what @Rugby wrote. You need to delete the Bricasti connected to Core, and utilize the M5 under “Roon Ready” as your audio input. I apologize if my English is deficient

Hi Thomas,

You have now been promoted in Trust level by Discourse, so you shouldn’t experience the post limitation again. PM me if you do.

As thyname is pointing out, the choice of Zone in Roon could account for the issue you describe. You can read more about Zones in this KB article.

The Bricasti zone under “Connected to Core” is for a direct connection from your Core by USB or SP/DIF. Unless you have such a connection from the Core to the Bricasti then this Zone won’t play. If you don’t intend to use a direct connection from the Core then you can disable this zone to avoid confusion. It can always be enabled again later.

The zone originally named “M5” (and which may have been renamed) under “Roon ready” is the zone you want to have active. It uses the Ethernet connection to your Bricasti.

2 Likes

Hello Andy

I’m very confused by all of this.

My current and only active setting is for the M5 being connected to the Roon core.

I get music from my iPad and iPhone but not linking to my dac. Obviously to me anyway there is music from tidal playing through Roon but not through my dac.

Other than what I’ve done I don’t understand how else to proceed.

Tom

Can you provide a screenshot of your Settings/Audio page again ?

When you say “being connected to the Roon core” it sounds like the wrong zone. You want the “Roon ready” zone.

That is definitely NOT the issue.
I alone have 3 different Lampi DACs all under roon with various renderers.
My friends have another 10 Lampi DACs also with different servers and renderers, all working perfectly fine under roon.

Please try the USB output out of the M5 into your Lampi so we can find which front button setting is the USB setting.
Btw. who sold you your Lampi DAC? Can the seller give you more info how to use the DAC?

A further Settings/Audio screenshot really will help tailor any advice to your current settings, as a name seem to have changed from the initial screenshot.

Hi Christoph

Thanks for u your thoughts.

I did try usb from M5 and as you suggested I pushed in the button on the front of the unit from its previous position. Still no signal going to the lampizator.

I then pushed the button again to return it to its out position with same no signal results.

I purchased this unit used about a year ago from a gentleman who used usb exclusively. Since I’ve owned it I’ve used aes exclusively but with a different piece of gear.

FYI if I enable the iPhone music plays from my phone.

As you can see in the picture the M5 is connected to the Roon core.

There is a spot on setup that says configure Roon devices. I have tried to use that feature but nothing pops up.

Is this a feature I should be using to get where you are suggesting??

No.

Your Desktop PC (Roon Core) – USB Cable – > Bricasti M5 – AES/EBU Cable – > Lampizator DAC

Is this your current setup?

Hi Tom
That sounds for me like the M5 is the culprit, then :roll_eyes:
Does the M5 maybe have a webgui where you have to chose and activate the desired output?

Not that I’m aware of. The M5 has a rudimentary set up manual which shows that there needs a connection from modem to M5 and a connection from M5 to the dac. Other than that there is no app with additional information to adjust.

I was sold this unit as basically plug and play.

I’m assuming that playing through an unconnected device like my iPhone is because the iPhone is connected wirelessly to the core??

No it’s not.

I have Ethernet cable to M5. Digital cable from M5 to dac.

I didn’t see any direct connection that needed to be made from my computer to the M5.

You are saying I need a direct connection from computer where the core is located to the M5 and then a connection from M5 to the dac.

I’ll try it.

No, I didn’t say that. As others already pointed out to you, you should not use a zone that implies that you have the Bricati M5 directly connected to your Roon Core if that’s not the case. Please click on the cogwheels behind the zone named “m5” in your last screenshot posted here and choose disable.

Use the networked zone (M5) instead if this is how the Roon Core and the Bricasti M5 are actually connected.

grafik

Note: It is unlikely that you will hear any sound playing through your Lampizator DAC via the Bricasti M5 streamer when you keep insisting to instruct Roon to send the audio stream to an output that’s not connected to the Bricasti M5.

Hi Thomas,

Scroll down your audio settings. Is there a further entry under Roon Ready as per Blackjack’s your previous screenshot ?

If so, that is the Zone to select. Not the “Connected to Core” Zone (which requires a USB or other connection, not Ethernet). You should disable the m5 Zone under Connected to Core because you are not using it and it is confusing.

After disabling the m5 Zone select and use the Roon Ready Zone as set out here.

Make sure the Bricasti is set to receive signals from the Ethernet connection and the Lampizator input from the Bricasti is selected. You should then be able to hear music when you press play.

Much gratitude to all on this forum who helped me with the issues getting my Bricasti M5 up and running using Roon.

With your help and a consult with Damon at Bricasti I was finally successful at getting everything up and running.

One big issue unbeknownst to me was that my aes digital cable was not working. Damon and I put in a Spdif and voila. SOUND coming from my speakers. What a joy!!

I had a second aes cable and tried that. Worked great.

Aargh. The joys of audio.

Tom

3 Likes