Constant and current issue

Roon Core Machine

Roon ROCK installed on NUC 8i7BEH, 16 Gb RAM, SSD Samsung 250 Gb

Networking Gear & Setup Details

RV 6699 - my provider’s optical modem/router - LAN cable cat 6 -
switch Netgear 108 - - LAN cable cat 7 - NUC 8i7BEH (with Roon ROCK installed)
switch Netgear 108 - - LAN cable cat 7 - laptop Windows 10 (with RoonBridge installed)

Connected Audio Devices

laptop Windows 10 (with RoonBridge installed) - USB cable - DAC iFi Neo iDSD - some headphones

Library Size

NAS Synology 116 integrated into the aforesaid system via LAN cable cat 6 connection, library - 4 324 tracks
HIFI/Master tidal subscription

Description of Issue

Unfortunately, I have been noticing one and the same problem for more 4 weeks when I am entering my Roon…the first thing I see is a remark that I am to log in tidal…it repeats time and again.

Moreover, very often I am forced to face with the following: something is being playbacked I am attempting to switch to another composition - tidal tracks, my library stored on the remote NAS…playback stops and from 30 sec to 1 minutes nothing happens. After the following info is being dispalayd - “this very track unavailable at the moment in tidal” - the playback begins at once or does not. I encounter this bug even when I am trying to skip to next track from the current one…The cursor of elapsed time track line is running very fast back and forth and …nothing happens again until the ifno of non availability of this track appers in the display…

Pls comment on that…what way I could fix the issue…thanks in advance.

P.S. Your representative tried to help me and sent the instruction of possible fixing, here it is:

Close Roon
Navigate to Roon’s Database Location 3
Delete the tidal_account file in Database/Registry/Core/tidal_account
Try to start Roon again

Fulfilled the above several times, but the main issue is still with me - my attempt to switch to another album/playlist/song (no matter what kind of music material I would like to audtion to - tidal content, my NAS library) causes some time pause in playback until the note of non-availability (this very track in tidal) pops up…After that the track starts to playback…

It looks like the way as if the info of non-availability is an impulse and permission to the system to start playback.
Any thoughts what shall I try more? I

Looking forward to your reply

S

Hi @S_Bl

Often times this kind of issue can stem from poor DNS performance. Can you try changing the DNS that your network is using and let us know if that helps?

My pain :neutral_face:
Roon can’t access some IPs which (I guess) are responsible for TIDAL authentication and can’t switch to another in time.

Thanks a lot.

I will for sure give a try to it…

Unfortunately, nothing helps…changing DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 or 1.1.1.1 doesn’t solve this issue…delay in playback is persistent and may last for up to 1 minute or more.

I am from the country where tidal is officially not permitted. May it have anything to do with an instable operation of the service when it is being auditioned to via Roon? Tidal web player and Android app work perfectly on the laptop and as well on the smartphone?

Could the Roon support team comment on the following. I switched to another Roon Core installed on Windows 10 laptop and …everything as to Roon, the remote NAS library and all the rest connected with Roon works fine, without any issue via Roon Core system itself and as well RoonBridge installed on the same laptop. Android Roon app is able to see the both Cores.

Pls do tell what is wrong with Roon ROCK installed on NUC 8i7BEH?

Sorry for the continued trouble, @S_Bl. Can you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? Thanks!

Okay, noted, thanks…will do ASAP…

1 Like

Pls do check your PM…

Hi @S_Bl

I took a look at the logs you sent over yesterday, and I’m seeing a lot of networking errors that are likely factoring into the issues you’re seeing.

Can you try running the Windows 10 device as your Core temporarily? Do you have the same issue when using that Core?

Here you are my message
posted 12 days ago.One would like you should be more attentive my issue concerned… Time is being elapsed, but the problem is still with me:

"Could the Roon support team comment on the following. I switched to another Roon Core installed on Windows 10 laptop and …everything as to Roon, the remote NAS library and all the rest connected with Roon works fine, without any issue via Roon Core system itself and as well RoonBridge installed on the same laptop. Android Roon app is able to see the both Cores.

Pls do tell what is wrong with Roon ROCK installed on NUC 8i7BEH?"

Apologies, @S_Bl. Okay, so things are working okay on Windows, but the NAS is getting network errors. Are they connected to the network in any different way? Perhaps try a different cable with the ROCK Core?

Scheme of current connection: the provider’s router - lan cable - Ubiquiti ACB-AC-EU - lan cable -switch Netgear 108 - the following devices connected via the lan cables to the switch:
NUC 8i7 BEH with ROCK
NAS Synology
Laptop Windows 10 with RoonBridge.

NUC and the laptop are connected to the switch via Dela (Melco) Ethernet cables cat. 7

P.S. Why should I change the Ethernet cable when I have serious troubles (playback delay) while streaming tidal content via Roon? With Windows 10 Roon Core implementation there is nothing similar…moreover I have already given a try to all possible configurations connection, the Ethernet cables included - replacement and so on…

Thanks for the update, @S_Bl. For context, here are some examples of what I’m seeing in your logs:

08/21 07:44:11 Warn: Error in web request https://accounts5.roonlabs.com/accounts/3/login: NetworkError (Name or service not known (accounts5.roonlabs.com:443))
08/21 07:44:11 Warn: [broker/accounts] failed to refresh account info: Result[Status=NetworkError, ErrorText=Name or service not known (accounts5.roonlabs.com:443)]
08/21 07:44:11 Warn: Error in web request https://geoip.roonlabs.net/geoip/1/lookup: NetworkError (Name or service not known (geoip.roonlabs.net:443))
08/21 07:44:12 Warn: [easyhttp] [1] Get https://devicedb.roonlabs.net/1/devicedb-prod.zip web exception without response: Name or service not known (devicedb.roonlabs.net:443) Name or service not known (devicedb.roonlabs.net:443)
08/21 07:44:12 Warn: [devicedb] While refreshing, status: 999, body: System.Net.WebException: Name or service not known (devicedb.roonlabs.net:443)
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Name or service not known (devicedb.roonlabs.net:443)
 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0xFFFDFFFF): Name or service not known
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.System.Threading.Tasks.Sources.IValueTaskSource.GetResult(Int16 token)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.<ConnectAsync>g__WaitForConnectWithCancellation|283_0(AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs saea, ValueTask connectTask, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.DefaultConnectAsync(SocketsHttpConnectionContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(Func`3 callback, DnsEndPoint endPoint, HttpRequestMessage requestMessage, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(Func`3 callback, DnsEndPoint endPoint, HttpRequestMessage requestMessage, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.ConnectAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateHttp11ConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.GetHttpConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, HttpCompletionOption completionOption, Boolean async, Boolean emitTelemetryStartStop, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SendRequest(Boolean async)
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at Sooloos.EasyHttp.QueryAsync(HttpMethod method, Params p, CancellationToken canceltoken)

Almost all network communications with our servers from your Core are failing.

One thing to try — We’ve found that some ISPs have started to implement IPv6 and it can cause some issues with communicating with our servers. If you disable IPv6 is there any change?

Beyond that, it’s hard to say for sure what might be happening here. We know that the Windows machine is working okay on the network, but the ROCK machine is running into all sorts of networking errors (the snippet I posted above is only a small sample, there are many, many more errors that I’m seeing). We’ve ruled out the Ethernet cable as a potential problem, but there could be something happening with the Ethernet port on the device itself. If you’re able to use WiFi with the NUC, it might be worth trying to use hotspot to test a different network entirely and see if that has any difference.

Summing up - tested and tried all what one could do…another router (Ubiquiti Amplifi HD), various lan cables, NUC machine testing and checking (all its ports and so on) - the result - nothing changes and became worse - today within 4 hours I have no access to tidal via my tidal account within Roon.

I have no idea what is going on…There were no issues at all for 5 months (Roon ROCK \NUC version), but in summer this nightmare came to me and it seems not to be about to end…No wish to buy another router, to fix the IPs or to do something in this direction (I am a user of Roon from 2016 with some intervals and not experienced the situation like that ever)

Now I have got two options - to install Roon Core onto Windows 10 ( was no sense in NUC machine purchase then) or pass over to another software (Audirvana, HQplayer, etc).

Acknowledge all who took part in this issue solving.

A month without a solution, that touches us all. We just want to listen to good music undisturbed. I also want to think what comes to my mind. The core W10 is running fine though. So it is the SSD from the NUC, if it is not to be the Ethernet port. Dylan has seen the network errors from the NUC though! Sometimes it was also due to the metadata, which is still well recognized with an old version, but with version 1.8 is angemeckert. The 4 324 tracks already times completely new read in to get rid of the old (broken?) Database?

RV 6699 - Optical modem/router from my provider - LAN cable cat. 6 - With current firmware?

Switch Netgear 108 - - LAN cable cat 7 - NUC 8i7BEH (with Roon ROCK installed) – Here in the server with an SSD that has been running for many years. Maybe this now gets problems after years → is checked for little money and the old one can stay for backup.

Switch Netgear 108 - - LAN cable cat 7 - Laptop Windows 10 (with RoonBridge installed) ) → Why RoonBridge? Windows 10 has a core with GUI.

DAC iFi Neo iDSD → is much upconverted or downconverted?

NAS Synology 116 → library - 4 324 tracks = very small, why NAS? Windows PC with external hard drive and Core GUI would be an alternative

Tidal login has already been identified as a problem and fixed.

IPv6 already turned off everywhere? DNS is already changed.
VPN in use? Virus scanner blocked? There are visible network errors.

Maybe also try to turn off WLAN and Bluetooth?

Damn, there must be a way to solve the problem. We have such good people here. Think about what else can be overlooked.

Hi @S_Bl, did you end up trying to disable IPv6?

It would definitely be interesting to know if the same issue occurs on Windows 10 on this hardware. Depending on where the issue is stemming from this could still be an issue but it would definitely be a good data point to know if that is the case or not. Is that something you can try, even if just briefly?

Hi, the info given below I posted on August 12 ( one could go through this thread entirely). No changes were taken to the settings of the router, IPv 6 inclusive. In short - one and the same settings and all the rest - NUC\ROCK - playback delays, metadate issues, etc, Windows 10 - flawless operation…

Could the Roon support team comment on the following. I switched to another Roon Core installed on Windows 10 laptop and …everything as to Roon, the remote NAS library and all the rest connected with Roon works fine, without any issue via Roon Core system itself and as well RoonBridge installed on the same laptop. Android Roon app is able to see the both Cores.

As to Windows 10 on NUC, no, I didn’t install this system on NUC

Is there any difference in how that laptop is connected to the network? Anything that is in place in the path to the NUC that could make a difference that the Windows device wouldn’t be seeing?