Constant problem with Roon short term inability to connect to core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Dell Precision 3500 server. Vortexbox Version 2.5 running Fedora Linux 25.
Roon core 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Talk Talk Wi-Fi Hub ADSL modem/router Sagemcom CS 50001. Device Ver :FAST 5364-3.T8
Cisco Catalyst 2960 ethernet unmanaged switch.

Roon control on Ipad Air WiFi connected. 2.4GHz
Roon Control on HP Laptop Windows 7 WiFi connected 5Ghz
Roon control on Iphone 5S wifi connected 5GHz

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Devialet Expert Pro 440 CI connected by ethernet cable.

Description Of Issue

Opening roon core on all the above control devices I get a message for one to two seconds ‘waiting for remote core’ ‘select another core’ before normal working. I get this every time I open Roon control.

Selecting Qobuz results in a red box warning for one to two seconds ‘Error loading page, please check network connection’ , the same when selecting ‘Albums’ from the menu.

There is no fault with the network or my wifi connection. download speed 71MB/s upload speed 21 MB/s. I have tried re-booting everything, modem/router core server, Devialet 440, laptop, ethernet switch and ipad/iphone. Tried different ethernet cables.

I installed roon core on another Fedora Linux 25 PC on a short Ethernet cable close to the WiFi hub/modem/router. Still the same problem.

This has happened in the last fortnight, I was hoping it was going to be a short term problem, but it seems whatever is causing the problem is here to stay.

I’d like some guidance on a possible solution as its getting very tiresome now and I’m considering alternative options to Roon. I’m looking at Auralic Aries as a possible solution and dumping Roon altogether.

Hi @Disarmamant,

Is there any change in behavior if you try temporarily connecting this remote via Ethernet to the switch?

It sounds like you might have a multicast delay here, does your router support IGMP Proxying / IGMP Snooping settings? If so I would try to enable each setting in part to see if it helps.

I have just tried connecting my laptop via ethernet cable. The initial behavior is the same, Initially I was seeing a very brief message ‘waiting for remote core’, but after closing and opening the roon control there is no message. selecting Qobuz or loading an album gives no network error alarm as before.

I have logged in to my router and checked through all the settings I can find, but I see nothing regarding IGMP anywhere.

I have similar behavior on a wired Ethernet connection.

Hi @Disarmamant,

Just to clarify - when you connected your laptop via Ethernet, all was working as expected and you were able to properly connect following the closing/re-opening of the Roon client?

If this is the case - it would suggest that the WiFi on the router is the issue and you may want to look into replacing the router with another consumer-grade one which supports proper multicast over WiFi.

We have often seen ISP-provided routers have poor multicast implementations and as such we suggest using other router brands with Roon, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide.

While we can’t specify specific router models, generally speaking Netgear, TP-Link, Asus, Orbi routers have had the least amount of issues reported on the forum.

Yes, that’s correct. I still very briefly get a message to say that the Roon client is looking for the core, but otherwise it’s ok.

I get your point about generic consumer routers. However that does not explain why I have not had the problem up until very recently when nothing in my network setup has changed.

Can you recommend a specific model of modem/router I should consider please.

Hi @Disarmamant,

Tech equipment degrades over time, it is possible that something is going wrong with the WiFi on the ISP router, but it’s hard to say for sure.

There is also this thread regarding routers:

I suggest to purchase the router from a place with easy returns in case you find it doesn’t meet your needs (like Amazon)

I’m looking for a suitable replacement DSL modem/router. Anyone here using the TP-Link Archer VR900 V2?

Hi @Disarmamant,

Since this is a support thread, it is unlikely many other users will see this post. I would suggest creating a new thread on the Roon Software section (#roon) or in #uncategorized with the question in the post title.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.