Core not Authorizing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

1.7 build 505 Ubuntu 16.04.3 running on ESX 6.5

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All wifi: Procurve 6400cl backbone, Procurve 2900 switch, Sophos UTM 9.506-2 firewall

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Raspberry PI player

Description Of Issue

Same setup has been running for a year or so, no changes other than the occasional Roon upgrades.

“Error retrieving account information” under Settings/Account
Doesnt see Tidal and Qobuz ( “Error loading page”). However, able to play Tidal and Qobuz songs from History and also see that Im signed in under Settings/Services

Tried creating a new Core using the same specs and installation. Saw both cores on the network, but couldnt un-authenticate the original one

Confirmed that the core has network (pinged yahoo to check dns and connection).

tail of the log is below. I X’d out the GUIDs:

12/15 15:34:57 Trace: [broker/accounts] Updating Machine Allocation machineid=XXXXXXX hwserial= machinename=RoonServer3 machinetype=Server
12/15 15:34:57 Trace: [fiveaccountserver] POST https://accounts5.roonlabs.com/accounts/3/machineallocate
12/15 15:34:57 Trace: [fiveaccountserver] BODY token=XXXXXXX&machine=XXXXXXX&name=RoonServer3&type=Server
12/15 15:34:57 Trace: Successful POST response from https://accounts5.roonlabs.com/accounts/3/machineallocate
12/15 15:34:57 Trace: [fiveaccountserver] GOT {"status":"Success","licenseid":"XXXXXXX"}
12/15 15:34:57 Warn: [broker/accounts] failed to auth: Result[Status=Unauthorized]

Hi @John_Gore,

Is there any change in behavior if you reboot your new Core and networking gear? I noticed you mentioned you’re on WiFi, so I would also give connecting via Ethernet to the primary router a try.

There is no WiFi. Sorry. I messed up as I meant all Ethernet. I did reboot the core a few times and the firewall. I will try rebooting the host and Switches tomorrow.

I rebooted the host and switch. Same issue.

Hello @John_Gore,

I believe the firewall might be blocking proper communication with our servers. Is there any change if you temporarily disable the firewall? If so, it should resolve this behavior and you will need to add application-level exceptions to the firewall for Roon.

I tried creating rules to allow any traffic to the core, but that didnt help. I also dont see any dropped packets. What ports and type and destination address?

Hi @John_Gore,

Roon uses dynamic ports, so there isn’t a specific port range/destination that I can specify. Is the behavior the same if you temporarily disable the firewall or connect the Core on a different network to authorize (such as a mobile hotspot)?

I can’t connect to a different network since the server doesnt have wifi. And cant turn off the firewall, only add rules to bypass it.

I created 2 rules: Any network->any service -> Roon and Roon->any service-> Any network. And turned off IPS. Then, restarted core, connected via browser on another PC, and then went to services/account and I get the same error.

Odd that its been working for more than a year until now.

Sorry. Meant connect via Roon app from another pc on the network. Not browser.

Hi @John_Gore,

Can you make sure there is nothing blocking accounts5.roonlabs.com?

Roon 1.7 has increased security measures with regard to account authentication. In the past reports that we’ve seen regarding authenticating, there was usually a firewall blocking Roon from accessing the accounts serves to authenticate.

From the core or also from the controller or output? I just realized that I’ve been focusing only on the core.

I would add both, just to be on the safe side.

Once I updated the Core to build 511 it began working. So, must have been an issue with 505.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

1.7 build 511 Ubuntu 16.04.3 running on ESX 6.5

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All wifi: Procurve 6400cl backbone, Procurve 2900 switch, Sophos UTM 9.506-2 firewall and WAP

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Raspberry PI player

Description Of Issue
Repeat of issue that I thought was solved, but am getting the same behavior after restarting the server: Core not Authorizing

“Error retrieving account information” under Settings/Account
Doesnt see Tidal and Qobuz ( “Error loading page”).

Hello @John_Gore,

Have you made any changes recently from when Roon was working vs now? Any changes to your firewall?

If you temporarily try authorizing another PC as the Core (preferably running Windows or MacOS), does that work as expected?

do have 2 cores on the VM., A second one left over from trying to debug last time. I did try and switch to the other, but it wouldnt respond when I tried unauthorizing the first. The only thing that changed was that my VMs rebooted due to a power outage and I think I accidentally started the second one instead of the first. I did have Plex running on my NAS, but stopped it.

Subsequently, I upgraded the firewall but that didnt change things.

Odd thing was that the first time this happened, it cleared over the week that I left it alone. I attributed this to the core upgrading from 505 to 511. But now I dont think that was the answer.

I still have opened on the firewall rules to allow any traffic to the core. And turned off IPS. Ive looked for blocked packets and dont see any. Also used fiddler on my PC when connecting as the controller and see it getting info from a few of the Roon servers.

Main symptom is going to Settings/Account and seeing Error retrieving account information. Also unable to get to Tidal or Qobuz even though I can sign in.

Hello @John_Gore,

If you try installing Roon outside of the VM and on the Ubuntu using our Linux Install Guide, does Roon behave as expected there?

Sometimes VMs need special configuration to work properly and I want to verify if the VM environment is part of the issue.

I dont have a spare computer around. Could I install on a USB stick? I should be able to get the server to boot from that.

The core has been running on a VM for more than a year without issues until this started and I havent upgraded the VM environment.