Correcting metadata - it takes really way too long

Some new release must be coming up. I’ve never noticed Roon being so quiet before. Or, I guess, they’ve decided the forum is becoming a bunch of villagers with pitchforks and torches.

2 Likes

:joy:

3 Likes

I’d be happy just to start with the replacement of those really inefficient up and down arrows with something where you could drag the track into the right place. Why Roon puts so many things in the wrong order, then ‘can’t identify’ an album - even though all the tracks are there, is beyond me.

1 Like

For dragging and dropping you really have to be able to see the complete album without scrolling up or down. As it is now there only fit 7 tracks in one screen (on a full HD screen?!) Besides that, the tracktitles have to fit the box to be readable (Again, they don’t fit, even on a full HD screen!!). Third, it’s really of MSDOS days that the screen can’t move around. Lots of times the whole tool ends up so utterly confusing that it is of great help to be able to view the album in the album view page underneath, that’ s impossible as it is now. When have moveable windows have become old fashioned?
I like Roon but I can’t find a single positive thing to say regarding this tool.

And Roon=Frankenstein’s monster :rofl:

This issue was first noted in 2015:

At that time, a fix was promised but has never been delivered. How about finally getting on this Roon Team?

3 Likes

Yes. There’s still a lot to be done with improving Roon’s importing of my library and the need to fix these errors. They moved on to other stuff too quickly instead of getting this core functionality to work better.
Still the case, so I’m glad a new post may bring this to a higher level of attention.

Correcting metadata errors would be way down on my list of priorities for Roon. Having Roon work perfectly for all users with their varied hardware systems seems more important to me.

I fully disagree on that one. Roons biggest promise was the metadata, that is what we pay the high yearly price for. The album recognition tool is the most horrible piece of UI I have ever seen in any software in my entire life. It is so utterly bad that I have given up about 5% of my music collection in Roon which is a shame. It has been adressed years ago and nothing, not even a small hint of any improvement in this area. So how much lower should the priority be according to you? There is way too much focus on the audiophile stuff in Roon, it should come second because that IS NOT what we pay the high price for.

2 Likes

We? I know why I paid for Roon. I could not care less if they list the wrong 3rd chair volin player. I care most that it works perfectly with my setup and sounds amazing and offers me all the music I want to listen to.

According to Roon themselves we, the customers, pay the most for the provided metadata. That’s what the high price is based on.

Each and every customer is an individual. You should respect our diversity. I stated my feelings about the topic. You don’t get to tell me they don’t count.

It is where the price is based on !!!

The price of any product is based on what the market will bear. People have their own reasons for buying a product. Again, I don’t care about some error in the metadata. Do you not understand customers don’t need to agree? Personally, I wouldn’t pay for something I though was horrible.

Okay, but that doesn’t mean the product can’t be improved, it invariably always can.

And for a thread in “feature requests” there aren’t any real suggestions how to better do this. How could the GUI be improved? To be honest, I can’t be bothered to play with it either. I edit metadata externally and tell Roon to “prefer file” for the few completely lost causes.

1 Like

Sure Roon can be improved…in many ways. For me, metadata is not a top priority. Can I not express an opinion?

Yes you can express an opinion but Roons Pricing is not based on what the market will pay for it, it is based on the licensing of metadata. That is what we according to Roon pay by far the largest percentage of the high yearly price for. We don’t by the software, we pay for licenses. Enriched metadata is Roon’s promise in their marketing. So why would access to this metadata be lowest on the priority list then? I just hope Roon would focus a bit more on becoming the best Music Player instead of becoming just another Audiophile Player, that’s my opinion.

Licensing fees are an expense to Roon along with many others including salaries, etc. What a product sells for is not based on cost. It is based on what the market will bear. The difference between revenue and cost is profit. If revenue is too low or expenses too high, a company will not survive. We all place a value on Roon for various reasons. Again, I don’t care about errors in metadata. For me, not you, I want Roon to work with my system, sound great, and provide me an excellent user experience streaming from Tidal and Qobuz and discovering new music. I don’t care that you disagree. That’s your prerogative, and I didn’t ask you or anyone else to agree with me.

The metadata is THE selling point. Sure, RAAT and all that needs to work, but I, for one, don’t care if Roon fails to work with every conceivable kit combination.

And the issue involves a LOT more than just the third violist’s name,.

3 Likes

But you care that it works with your kit combination. Small metadata errors are meaningless to me.