1. Synology Nas DS923+, Latest DSM 7
  2. Synology Nas DS918+, Latest DSM 7.1.1-42962, Latest Roon Core 20220216
  3. Intel NUC 13, i7 Pro, Latest Windows 11, Latest Roon Core 2.0, build 1352

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

60.000 tracks

Description of Issue

I have tried to run Roon Core on all tree machines, and it works ok.
But when I import my music to the core on both Synology and the music is on a share on the Nas where the core is running, I get 300 corrupt files.
When I import the exact same files from Synology Nas to my Windows 11 NUC there is no corrupt files ! And I can play the files and no problem. I can play the files with other software.
But the RoonCore on Synology doesn’t like the files ?

I don’t think its relevant, but DSM 7.1.1 is not the latest version of DSM for th DS918+.

DS918+ download centre

My DS1019+ is on DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3

Have you read what the updates are ? I dont think it matter, for corrupt files.

No. I was just aware that there was a later version than that that you specified.

It is highly unlikely that this will be a contributing factor in your issue.

It is entirely possible that these files may have filenames with characters that are not valid in the Linux filesystem. That would be one of the first things I would check for.

2 Likes

Joe Satriani/(2004) Joe Satriani - Is There Love In Space (2004)/01 - Gnaahh.mp3

I dont know much about Linux, is there problem with this file ?

And not this one
Joe Satriani/(2004) Joe Satriani - Is There Love In Space (2004)/01 - 02 - Up In Flames
?

The 01 and 06 is corrupt

I noticed you’re browsing those files in Windows… What do the files look like when you browse them in Synology file station?

I’m not sure what you mean, why would the file look different, please explaine. ?

From what I can tell, that eliminates the possibility that it an issue with the file name.

Next… What happens if you double click on the file? Does it play in file station?

No problem

Ok then see:

1 Like

I used the Batch Converter of dBpoweramp to re-encode my “corrupt” mp3 files into their FLAC equivalents.

I have worked as a programmer since 1976 with all kind of low and high programming language, and I really dont like the behavor of the difference between linux and windows, especially when 2 tracks of 8 is corrupt, I’m shure that all tracks was encoded the same. So in my eyes its poor programming on the linux side. When I can play the corrupt tracks directly on my synology Nas it cant be anything wrong with the track.

It’s almost certainly down to the decoder choking on how particular tracks have been encoded, but I notice that it’s rather odd that your Windows screenshot shows the tracks in numerical order, while your Synology(?) screenshot doesn’t…

Just a note - files can become corrupt after they are initially created, through disk errors, etc., and they can become corrupted in ways that don’t involve audio (metadata, etc.) or that are not normally audible as well. I don’t know all the algorithms Roon uses to determine these things, but they all play a role.

Pure speculation. It’s just as possible that the decoder conforms to standards and the encoder on Windows doesn’t. Without knowing the actual technical details, it’s impossible to say.

Wow
If I click on the columns I can get a lot of difference screenshot, or are you seriously thinking you have found the problem ?

No, I’m not “seriously thinking I’ve found the problem” - I just thought it odd. The problem as we are saying is something to do with the different encoders/decoders on the different platforms.

Doubtful. Look at the file naming scheme disparity (e.g. no underscore vs multiple underscores). That appears to be a hodgepodge of at least two different groups of files thrown together.

AJ

1 Like