Corrupt track, from bandcamp.com

Bandcamp is great for allowing high quality downloads of purchases. I was surprised to see Roon determine some to be corrupt.

Could it be a false positive? Should I send my track to Roon?

A couple of things you could try:

• re-scan the track (Edit > Re-Scan) … maybe Roon analyzed it while the file was still on the move to its final location?

• Re-download from bandcamp … maybe the file indeed got corrupted?

• check file integrity with some tool … I know of Audio File Health Check from 2 Many Robots, the maker of yate (it’s for macOS; similar tools for other operating systems exist as well, I guess).

Ok thanks! I tried bullet points 1 and 2.

I played a track through and Roon stops playing it at a certain point.

Another track even made Roon unexpectedly quit.

Either it is genuinely corrupt or Roon is misidentifying it.

Seeing as though I’ve paid for the album, that kinda sucks.

Hmm, I haven’t come across bad tracks from bandcamp. That Roon chokes on a music file seems rather unusual - I think @support might want to have a look.

Hello @amk221, and thanks for reporting this! Could you please place one of the issue files here so I can test it out? Thanks!

@nuwriy Done, thank you.

Thanks @amk221, I’m sending it over to the team now.

Hello @amk221, and thanks again for the files. I was able to get it to play in Roon but it did show as corrupt. I’d like to get this information over to the team for further input. Could you please fill out the following so I can submit the report? Thanks!

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

nuc / Debian / i3-5010U / 4GB / Roon 1.7 (Build 571)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ubiquiti USG → Unifi Switch 8 → Hegel H390

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Airplay

Thanks @amk221, I’ll get the info over to the team now.

I had a reply from bandcamp, confirming that the album is fine. And they cleared their cache so that it will get re-built the next time somebody requests to download it. (And I re-download that, and it was still flagged as corrupt).

I also recently bought another album, and that too is showing as corrupt :sob:

You might try transcoding the downloaded file to a different lossless format using (eg) dbpoweramp. Depends what’s ‘broken’ but it’s possible rewriting the signal data in a new container will ‘repair’ it.

Hello @amk221, our QA team would like to see if you’re able to reproduce this crash with this same track mentioned here? Please let me know! We tried the tracks you originally sent over and they showed up as corrupt in iTunes for us as well. Are you also seeing that result?

@nuwriy AFAIK, there is no UI to display if a track is corrupt in Apple Music (iTunes).

The Yndi Halda ones play fine in Apple Music (iTunes) and skip from half way in Roon.
The Wintersleep ones play fine in Apply Music (iTiunes) and play static from half way in Roon.

…but, pretty sure I’ve figured out what it is that’s causing them to be flagged as corrupt.

I run the albums through MusicBrainz Picard, which automatically updates the meta information, and renames (moves) the album from my download directory, to my roon server directory.

I have just tested the files in Roon without doing this first, and they are no longer showing as corrupt.

Could be worth following this ticket

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.