Crackling sound on Qobuz playback (only on c.1% of albums)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Intel® Core™ i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Roon Build 764

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Vodafone Hub / Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Audioengine D1 DAC on PC with 2TB drive, via USB
This is really irrelevant, as 99% of albums are fine

Description Of Issue

Amongst a handful of other Qobuz albums, there are crackling sounds on playback. The following track is an example:
Album: Brahms : Fantasien Op.116, Intermezzi Op.117, Klavierstücke Op.118
Track: 3 Intermezzi, Op. 117: II. Intermezzo in B-Flat Minor. Andante non troppo e con molto espressione

This entire album is crackling quite badly: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Keyboard Music, Vol.4 performed by Kristian Bezuidenhout

Are you using any form of DSP or volume leveling?

No, neither

What category do you use for LAN cables?
If category 7 and above are not processed properly, noise will occur.

Category 6,6a is good

I’m sorry if it’s misplaced

Hi @johan

Do you hear the same crackling if you play to a different endpoint, like System Output of the Windows machine? It would be helpful to understand if this happens with these albums in all configurations, or if there is something specific about to the interaction with a specific endpoint. Thanks!

Didn’t realise there are different levels of LANs - will investigate, thank you. But you might be onto something as it turns out this album plays perfectly on the Sonos in the lounge via wifi.

In the meantime, the help is much appreciated!

Hi Dylan, I have now checked and the LAN cable is a 5e (ref Morihiko’s kind post) so will definitely replace with category 7 or above. The PC sits on the 2nd floor and is actually connected to one of my TP-Link units (as part of a ‘Home Mesh’ wifi set-up) via the LAN cable.

When I play downstairs on iPad Roon app via wifi to Sonos, these albums sound fine. So will replace LAN cable upstairs and report back. Thanks a million!

This is one of the albums you find “crackling”, correct?
Sorry, but i cannot recreate that, it sounds fine.
(Even if not the best i’ve heard)

Something might be off with your endpoint in question.

Exactly that one, thanks Mikael. I think I might have found the issue, the LAN cable quality. Thanks again. Will report back.

I suppose this is connected over USB? Can ypu please post a screenshot of your signal path:

Category 7 is no good
Category 6
Or
Category 6a
Please

Will NOT affect your sound quality in that way, no. Your Cat.5E will be just fine, and is preferable (in almost all situations) to shielded types of higher classification…

Here you go.

1 Like

Was so
5e is no problem
But the cost is cheap so it might be a good idea to change it
It may be due to cable deterioration,
If the switching hub is not 1 Gbps, it may be a good idea to change it to a 1 Gbps one.

1 Like

Thank you, will do anyway as a precaution.

Thank you Johan,
i recommend you have a look at the Buffer size setting in Settings-Audio along with the Resync setting.

1 Like

Thank you Mikael.

Very interesting observation: When I change any of the Resync delay or buffer size settings, it totally solves the issue. Until I listen to another song and then return to the ‘crackling’ song - the crackling reappears. Very odd indeed as this does not happen on the sonos system downstairs or with >99% of songs on this pc.

This is not a major issue for me so will just replace the few albums that has this problem. Thanks again!

1 Like

I had a similar phenomenon, and I suspected the following three points and improved them.
1: Roon Server PC malfunction due to heat
・ Larger SSD heat sink
・ Strengthened the airflow of the CPU FAN of the PC
2: Malfunction due to heat of switching hub
・ The latest and many ports, metal housing
3: Insufficient or damaged network cable
・ Replace all network cables with those of category 6a

This eliminates the noise that occurs when the radio wave is bad.
I hope it will be cured with a lower cost.

1 Like

Thank you so much.

Hi Dylan, with reference to message 11 days ago, I can report back that my PC upstairs (also used as Roon Core) still produces crackling sounds on some albums. Downstairs, on Sonos via iPhone / iPad, there are no sound issues as far as I can tell.
Any idea what settings to change?
Many thanks,
Johan