Crackling sound on Qobuz playback (only on c.1% of albums)

Hi @johan

The next time this occurs would you kindly make a note of the time it happens, as well as what track is playing, and then use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @dylan

I have sent all the information you requested via a Link to contact@roonlabs.com.

Thanks,
Johan

Hi @dylan - do you have any further thoughts on the crackling sound issues and information sent over last week?

You’ve asked that I update you when this happens again - I’ve just encountered the same problem on this album too. Really puzzling!

@johan! I spoke with our gear expert about this, and he’s done some investigating into this. He’s found that there are similar reports of this happening with this device, even outside of Roon.

He’s provided some feedback that can be helpful in the past:

Can you take a look and give that a try?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @johan,
just let me tell you how I fixed the issue and it sounds like I had a quite similar problem.
Got cracking noise also sometimes at the same album at different endpoints.
I used other Apps (Bluesound or Tidal) and the cracks were gone.

I did a hell of analysing and I found a very bad connection between the Core (also Win 10 PC) and the router (router is also used as a switchbox for the endpoints). I have CAT6 and CAT7 and PowerLAN.

Eventhough I made all Win 10 Updates and there was also no newer Update for the Win LAN Driver I found out that there was a new LAN Driver Update for my Motherboard (2,5Gb Realtek Lan Controller) and a new BIOS Update.
Since I updated both, I live in a complete new world (a hell of LAN speed as I can see; >900Mbit/s; before down til 10Mbit/s). For me it was quite difficult to find because quite often I ran very good speed tests from Vodafone. But during title skips I found this relation. Beside that, I changed nothing and title skips from Tidal are less but still there. Sound quality is (except these skips) always fantastic up to 192kHz.
Maybe this is also an option! Just my experience and I doubt the cable stuff.

Keeping the drivers up to date for all the computer hardware is a good idea, not just the graphics cards.

Hi @dylan!

I have followed advice you included in link where @h3ndrix suggested to use the D1 AudioEngine in non-exclusive Mode. It resolved the issues across the two albums I checked, which is great.

Previously, I’ve been strongly advised to use in Exclusive mode, hence didn’t even bother to toggle that. As you can imagine, there’s quite a wide range of suggested settings going back 3-5 years, many of which don’t appear to be available in 1.8 so didn’t try.

I’ve included screenshots of the other settings - would be helpful if you could run your eye down them and let me know if anything looks odd.

But, importantly, no remaining cracking for now.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Hi @Peter_Kuehnel

All my drivers and software happen to be up to date (did a major upgrade 2 months ago), but looks like I might have solved this by switching off Exclusive Use.

Crossing fingers!
Cheers.

Hi @Rugby

All my drivers and software happen to be up to date (did a major upgrade), but looks like I might have solved this by switching off Exclusive Use.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @johan ,
I also cross my fingers for you.
I also thought I would have everything up to date and Win told me no newer updates available, but I found files at the motherboard support page.
Version 1.0.0.62 to 1.0.0.64 (small change, huge influence at my system)
Good luck!

But this will drop sound quality since your audio path will be through the OS Mixer with no guarantees of bit perfect playback, and competing with other audio sources for priority.

Just get a proper DAC, man! :slight_smile:

Interesting, and tempting to buy something else! However…

1. I’m mainly listening to Roon on my working pc so really no competing “other sources”, if that makes sense (if I want to watch something on YouTube, I just switch…no hassle really)

2. Asked two other people to listen ‘blindly’ to two versions (Exclusive vs Non-Exclusive) of a classical piece and both thought the second sounded better. Not very scientific, but still.

Decisions, decisions!! :wink:
But for now, think this is a workable solution for my set-up and needs (today).
At least eliminated the crackling problem.

1 Like

Fair point @Peter_Kuehnel, Win doesn’t always pick up newest updates.

To address that risk, I do occasionally run “manual” Dell and Window Updates, as suggested to me. But have no clue how to find updates beyond running those. Will do some digging.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.