Crackling sound on Topping DAC connected to the Core

Hello everyone,
So, for several weeks now, I have been noticing an annoying problem related to listening to my music library on Roon.
My setup is as follows: Merrick 1R (a sort of Intel NUC), used as the Roon Core, DAC+headphone amplifier Topping DX3 Pro+.
The connection between the two devices is made via USB, as the Merrick does not have a coaxial input or a digital input.
The albums I have purchased come almost exclusively from Tidal and Qobuz, and some have been ripped from CDs.
Well, every time I start playing, I hear a crackling sound, not very annoying but constant, which usually goes away once I restart the core and/or unplug and plug back in the Topping’s power supply.
The DAC drivers are the latest available, and the headphones I use are the Grado SR325x or the Meze 99 Classics.
Honestly, I don’t know what could be causing this problem.

Thank you.

Does the noise stop if you touch the DAC/headphone amp?

Well, I didn’t notice that.
What I’ve done this past few minutes has been to listen to the same song on Apple Music using my iPad and an external DAC (FiiO BTR5): no issues at all.
Of course this latest test is not conclusive but what I do think is that the problem might be caused by the USB connection…

Use your Topping as described in your first post. When you hear the noise, touch the case. If the noise stops you’ll need to ground the case to earth. I experienced similar but more electrical noise.

Like this

1 Like

Thank you very much for your help, Menzies.
I started listening to the same song with the same setup: I heard a slightly crackling sound, the same as before.
Touching the case didn’t change the situation but the strangest thing is that when I changed the gain on my Topping (from 6 to 19) things were significantly better.
I tried with other songs, everything was alright, so it could be something related to that specific recording but I’m only trying to guess.

2 Likes

Well, that makes it seem as if the crackle is in the track file. Perhaps a bad rip. Nothing to do but rip it again.

No, well, the track was purchased and downloaded from Qobuz.

See for the likely fix in your other post about the same problem.

2 Likes