‼ Critical Translation Update: Roon Core vs Roon Server

Hello @TranslationAdmins and other translators!

If you’ve been following release notes in Early Access you know that we will no longer be using the term “Roon Core” after an upcoming release. This release includes changes to how Roon installs on macOS and Windows, and you can read more about these changes here.

This change will effect more than 50 strings, including many seen by users during their initial setup and onboarding experience, or when configuring their Roon Server and various “remotes”.

Because these strings are so critical to how people set up and configure Roon, we are not comfortable doing any kind of automated “find and replace” that would swap out “Core” or “Roon Core” for “Roon Server” – it’s absolutely critical that native speakers get these strings right, so new users see something coherent and grammatically correct when configuring Roon for the first time .

As such, any English strings that previously referred to “Core” or “Roon Core” will need to be translated again, or they will revert back to English.

Note that for now we have only updated strings on the Roon translation site. A similar process will happen next week for ARC translations in Localizely, so no need to update ARC translations for now.

Our hope is to release these changes to Production in the next few weeks, so we are hoping everyone has time to get these translations right or ask questions if anything is unclear.

We are deeply appreciative of the efforts of our translators, and know how much time you’ve all contributed to make Roon feel native in your languages. Getting these strings right is extremely important as Roon continues to grow, so please flag myself, @ivan, or @noris down if you have any questions.

Thanks all!

cc: @Beta_Translators @Japanese_Translators @ARC_Translators

3 Likes

Should we be looking at localize.ly or the translations.roonlabs.net-tool?
Or both?
Thanks!

For now, this is just in regards to the Roon translation site – I will update the original post to clarify that.

We will be updating strings in Localizely next week. Thanks for checking @Mikael_Ollars !

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roon 2.0 Build 1310 is Live!

Are you sure this one is correct?

Find my {product} Server (Nucleus, ROCK, etc.)

The variable is not consistent with other phrases, and you refer to ROCK as Roon OS Server elsewhere

Same variable was found on another phrase also.
And, i cannot leave “bullets” in lists, the tool does not accept them, so i used the asterisk instead (*)

1 Like

Is there any way it could have been done differently? As a result, many long strings have to be retranslated…

It was enough to notify the translators, and after a while, if strings are still not updated or corrected, delete them.

Anyhow, given the fact that many incorrect strings cannot be corrected due to the collaborative translation model, does it really matter that some strings in another language still refer to “Roon Core”?

1 Like

@mike Someone at Roon has restored all the carefully translated strings containing ‘Core’ to untranslated status! This is VERY annoying because I had already translated all ‘Core’ entries to ‘Server’. That was a relatively simple job. Now I have to start all over again by translating all the entire strings. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Update: Just finished it which took more than an hour. Please leave the translations intact!!!

3 Likes

Message to Roon (cc to Jan_Willem - see his message above).

I have checked all strings in the database. About 300 pages with about 10 strings each page. That took me 10 days, about 6 hours a day. This is very professional and precise work: knowledge of English/NL (spelling and grammar), HIFI/acoustics, amplifier technology, all aspects of digital processing AND some knowledge of how a fine interface should be. One has to have feeling for this. Strings appear in different locations and they also must be checked for consistency in the context. So, each string asks for multiple checks. And therefore it is not at all a simple “deepl translation” in that a person just looks at one string for a second and translates this at once.

All this is worth 50-100 dollars an hour or more. High qualified work.

During this work I have also checked/talked about the strings that have been deleted now. If I continue, I have to do all this again.

The translation database has some strange quirks. One has no complete idea of what is happening. That is not very satisfying. A few weeks ago I was hesitating to go on. And now? I am not even in the business of selling equipment etc etc, this was fun at first but it should definitely remain fun. Well, that is over.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out. I just fixed the string so now it reads:

Find my Roon OS device (Nucleus, ROCK, etc.)

1 Like

:smile:
I was actually more focused on the ROCK acronym in parenthesis, but whatever makes most sense is good!

Sorry @Jan_Willem – you beat us to it. This was a pretty unique case, in that these are strings new users will see when they’re configuring their Roon Server or getting started for the first time. It was really important that users see newly-translated copy that utilizes the updated terminology or, failing that, the original English.

There are also some technical limitations in our translation system that require these updated English strings to be treated as “new” as opposed to updated versions of the existing strings (cc @luisoes).

We also needed to make sure that the updated translations coincide with the end of this project, which is why this didn’t happen weeks ago.

Anyway, we really do appreciate the effort from everyone on this and apologies if you needed to do some of these translations twice – we don’t expect this kind of wholesale updating of strings to happen very often and hope everyone can appreciate how important it is to get these particular strings right in every language.

Thanks again folks!

1 Like

Done for French :fr: . Looking forward to the next build for an “in app” review!

2 Likes

Still strings with reference to Roon Core in the translation database (English language).

I haven’t seen any update to Localizely for Roon ARC (at least not for French). Roon ARC still refers to “Roon Core”. Not a big deal anyway.