Crossfade option turn off for whole album play

it would be great to add an option to crossfade to turn it off while playing an entire album. thanks.

1 Like

Yes I agree. When you are flicking through a library and reacquainting yourself it would be most kind on the ears & space you’re in. To be able to have it off for albums playing through but when you hit forward the crossfade to come in would be great. In settings it wouldn’t hopefully be too difficult to have preferences.

1 Like

I am a new Roon user and this feature was one of the first things that came to mind:

Quite often I am playing from playlists, and crossfade combined with volume normalization works wonderfully.

But say for example I decide to click on an album and play from beginning to end? Crossfade should have a mode to automatically disable itself in this scenario, so that I can hear the album as the artist intended. The volume normalization has an “album” intelligence, can we add this (perhaps optionally) to the crossfade please?

The logic would be: if I am crossfading between consecutive tracks on an album, do not crossfade. Otherwise, crossfade as normal.

1 Like

I used Crossfade practically all the time, even for albums and I like the way it is currently setup.

However I can see your point of view on this with regard to albums. Maybe just have a easier way to enable or disable Crossfade on the fly in a more favorable location like next to the Shuffle play while leaving it setup in the same location for the custom Crossfade settings.

–MD

anyone else interested in this? I continue to find the lack of this feature frustrating.

1 Like

I would love this too. Albums that have been created with no gaps between tracks don’t require any crossfading, so it would be great to be able to automatically disable this when sequential album tracks are played.

1 Like

Bump for this request. Would be a great feature. No one wants a tightly woven masterpiece (like the Abbey Road B side for example) to be crossfaded.

1 Like

+1 for this request. Used to do this in mediamonkey many many years ago. Would love this feature.

1 Like

+1 for this feature for me as well.

Let me me add support for this. The software I use for local library management (MusicBee) has this so I know it can be done.

If two songs in the queue are from the same album and their track numbers are consecutive, temporarily disable crossfading. Doesn’t seem that complicated.

3 Likes

I agree the current implementation of crossfade is a little embarrassing… crossfade should only come in play when manually changing a track or hitting stop etc.

At least a toggle for this option. Crossfading in the same album with no option to turn it off is a little bonkers.

2 Likes

Another vote for this please - shuffle-playing should apply crossfade (if it’s been turned on) but playing an album should just be gapless.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Another vote for this. A bit disappointed to see that this feature still hasn’t been implemented. I love how Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server handles crossfade.
I believe it is called “Smart crossfade”. When two consecutive tracks from the same album are played no crossfade is applied. When two tracks from different albums or two non-consecutive tracks from the same album are played crossfade is applied.

Cheers,
Dennis.

3 Likes

This should be great, but I don’t see it coming in the next 5 years or so.

interesting information

+1 on this feature. I like to crossfade in radio mode for some genres but not others. But most of all, I don’t want it when listening to a whole album.

2 Likes

+1. Crossfade is great when listening to tracks/genres/playlists, but it should be off when playing an entire album. We need more customization options for crossfade

3 Likes

yes +1

in iTunes for instance there is an option “gapless album” (i dont know how its called in english, these are albums without gap between tracks, for instance mixed DJ-Sets. there should be an option to skip these albums/tracks in random play/roon radio or genre mix because played as single track the tracks of such albums sound very hard because of no really start/end of the track. this sounds hard clipped and is no pleasure :smiley:

and sometimes you have an intro that passes over in the first track (f.e. track 1&2 at PVDs “45RPM” or Jam&Spoon’s “Tripomatic Fairytales 2001”). there it would be nice to “group” this tracks to be played as one track in random play. may be this is already possible but i dont know how :see_no_evil: :smiley:

+1 for this feature. I am on my trial of Roon (will be keeping it), but this lack of smart crossfade and volume normalization is disappointing. I have been using apps like Foobar2000, MusicBee, Plexamp (Plex), and these all support this feature out of the box. Having to set this manually depending on what I want to listen to gets a bit old and can take me out of the zone.

Would make my day if this and a some good music visualizers were added. Roon would be the ultimate Music system by far!

Cheers,

2 Likes

Still disappointed Roon doesn’t support this feature (like many other streamers/players).