Custom track ratings

I would like to see the ability to import things like track ratings (which need not be based on a number of stars) as part of the ability to import any custom embedded metatag. With the right tag logic, this could be quite powerful.

4 Likes

For a bit of fun, I thought I would try my own (admittedly very crude) solution for adding individual track ratings to Roon. As things worked out it was actually very easy to fudge a bit of metadata and get the screenshot below. This only took me about 10 minutes. Not only that, this very crude method does actually have decent functionality, allowing me to sort by track ratings in exactly the way you would expect.

OK, this is a long way from a full solution, which would need an additional metadata field and a method of importing existing ratings from iTunes and similar, but if an IT illiterate idiot like myself can get this far in 10 minutes, how hard can it be for Roon wizards?:wink:

3 Likes

But there’s already a (FLAC) tag called ‘rating’ - which is what I use - so why is it
apparently
so difficult for Roon to implement?

And yes, I understand that there’s ‘rating’ (0-100), ‘rating’ (0-5) and ‘RATING’ (0-5) - but they’re not so very complex to recognise and act on

3 Likes

Technically it’s simple to implement, however, I don’t think Roon’s data model has catered for it so it would probably mean changes to many areas within then code base to accommodate. It would be useful if supported.

1 Like

Can Roon PLEASE add track rating.

Thank you

3 Likes

No good idea for all the guys out there who do not want to lose tons of track ratings done in the pre-roon era. Losing all the personal tagging and losing personal views on our collections means losing VALUE.

Yes I’ve been beating this drum for a while. I think the Roon team is hearing us but they’ve got their hands full with whatever the next big release will be, as I suspect it will be coming out pretty soon and will have some substantial upgrades, albeit maybe not importing more custom tags.

As above, there is a manual way to import them now, it is just a bit kludgy and doesn’t dynamically update when the values are changed or new content is added. But you could get the bulk in if you were willing to put in a couple hours.

I don’t use track ratings any more, but when I did and when I first started using Roon, I let iTunes do the heavy lifting.

I sorted my entire iTunes library by rating. I put all of my 1 through 5 star-rated iTunes tracks into their own playlists (roughly 6,000 tracks). IIRC, those playlists showed up in Roon if the iTunes library was connected to Roon in Settings. (NB: I don’t connect my iTunes library to Roon any more, so I can’t check for sure.)

Back in Roon, I selected all the tracks in a particular rating’s playlist and tagged them with a matching Roon tag. I think the whole process took me half an hour.

1 Like

Adding my voice to the long-standing request for ratings for individual tracks. Ideally:

• We can rate tracks 0-5 in half-star increments, a la iTunes or Mediamonkey.

• There’s a way (however round-about) to get our Mediamonkey or iTunes ratings into Roon. (This could be by creating a playlist of all 5-star, 4-star etc tracks, exporting it from Mediamonkey/iTunes/etc., importing that to Roon, and batch applying the same rating in Roon).

This is a mission-critical enhancement IMHO. While discovering music on Roon, I almost always wish I could rate it.

6 Likes

Another vote for track ratings please. I know Roon does not touch the music files but at least reading the rating, displaying and selecting as part of a focus would be great.

2 Likes

I am adding my vote for track ratings (0-10, 5 stars with 1/2 ratings) as well as smart playlist support or much improved filtering.

The ratings should be stored/pulled from the id tags.

To see a good use case, just look at Master mixes in the free MusicBee program. Master mixes can take smart playlists and mix them into a sort of radio station (much like roon, but more accurate). You tell the Master Mix to play 15% 3 star, 60% 4 star, 20% 5 star and 5% no star.

This works perfectly for me. Only problem is that musicbee doesn’t have chromecast support. And much like Roon, show’s no intention of adding that feature (track ratings for rune)

It looks like there is interest. Let’s see who does it first.

1 Like

BTW Audirvana+ for WIndows has the feature. I cannot and will not use Roon as long as I cannot use my individual track ratings in smart playlist folders and add new ones. Despite my life time subscription :-/

1 Like

This is interesting. Can you elaborate a little on how Audirvana+ for WIndows implements individual track ratings? For example, if you have an iTunes library that includes track ratings, are these automatically pulled into Audirvana? Is the functionality with respect to playlists and folder sorting similar to iTunes?

Like this:

First i was using iTunes, then changed to MediaMonkey, then changed to Jriver. I could always transfer my ratings. In Audirvana+ for Windows the 5 stars have the value of 100, 4.5 stars 90 etc. But Jriver is much much better in this respect (rate a song while playing, also from IOS or Android devices etc. etc.) BTW here in Audirvana+ I had nothing to do. Everything appears automatically. You have only to add the track rating column. From Mediamonkey to JRiver I had a little work to do with my FLAC files (transfer manually via custom tag).

Thanks for posting this. I have to say that I quite like the way Audirvana has tuned the track ratings into what is effectively a rating out of 100, very neat. That said, for the obsessive, this could be bad news, in terms of opening the door to endless track rating tweaking, so although I like the above, a big part of me would prefer Roon to simply integrate the 5 star rating, nice and simple and certainly fit for purpose. Does anyone else have a view on this?

That said, I would joyously accept individual track ratings in Roon anyway it could be delivered. Anything is better than nothing!

2 Likes

I’m still pretty upset that I cannot choose Roon or my track ratings

1 Like

Yes please to track ratings out of 5. Whole stars is good enough for me. The Heart system is good for “don’t play”, “play as part of the album” and “play in my playlists” but track rating would clean up a lot of clutter for the rating with tags hack (have to read small text amongst other tags under each track to figure out what’s what). There’s so much room next to the hearts in the album track list view. Even to have a drop menu from 1-5 to keep it minimalist. Then just the rating number is shown.

Thanks Dev Team.

2 Likes

Hi, new here, and being able to use the track rating I‘ve already applied in JRiver over years is clearly a missing feature in Roon. I read the associated comments in this forum over the last 2 years, with many Roon users complaining. What I’ve found by searching for the feature is the fact that the Roon software actually knows about the track ratings - I can look it up under „View File Info“ -> „File Tags“ -> RATING. Roon shows the correct values as I have tagged in JRiver - that‘s already a good start!
For that reason, it should be pretty easy to include the File Tag „RATING“ in the FOCUS functionality (as much as any other tag, btw). So why the whole discussion over years - it‘s almost there - why would Roon not just implement this?

6 Likes

Hi there

I would also really appreciate to use the RATING tag at track level, either using the Focus function or by adding the tag in the Track view as an additional field. Hope this will come in the next ROON version, building external Play list to be imported is a mess in terms of maintenance (I did it for years between JRiver and Mood OS).

Thanks in advance to the dev team.

2 Likes

+1 for track rating and track rating import from file metadata.
Basically I’d prefer star-rating on every object (track, album, artist, etc.)
Banning is important, however. :slight_smile:
I agree with Dulai, that album ratings should not “average” track ratings. The other way round, track rationgs could “inherit” album ratings as defaults.

1 Like