Custom track ratings

I found the Rating function in the focus section of the new v1.6. It seems to work fine. I think we can close this thread.

Thanks to the Roon team for having listening to users feedback.

Isnā€™t that only for Albums, though (and that has always been there since version 1.0)? Thereā€™s no Focus for track ratingsā€¦

3 Likes

You are right, the focus is still on albumsā€¦ this thread is to remain open.

Roon, can you listen to usersā€™ feedback? :smirk:

1 Like

Yes, they do - why do you think otherwise?

Hey, havenā€™t you see the emoticon? I am pretty sure they are listening to Users and then give priority to feedbacks that seems of interest. My message is Ā“justā€™ a call too put this function on top of the list.

I can understand that Roon is reluctant to let people EXPORT tags in oder not to lose customers (which would be not very kind though), but in order to win new customers they should let people IMPORT their personal file tags. We need at least one, better 5 or 10 Roon CUSTOM TAGS which can be pointers to any of the file tags shown in the file info. So the files remain unchanged, but we could save the value of our collections, at least our track ratings.

2 Likes

I have been on this soapbox for 2+ years. Roon should inter-operate where it can, and allowing usage of embedded tags is a big part of that.

On point. Exactly. There were multiple discussions of this but no developments from Roon yet.

3 Likes

Is there any news on this topic?
Iā€™m currently setting up my roon enviroment and this was something I was missing too.
I exported a playlist for my 5 stars rated songs in MediaMonkey.

Maybe I have to use the ā€œFocus-Tag-X Star Rating- Workaroundā€ like described aboveā€¦

3 Likes

Hi ROON team.
Please include this functionality to the coming version.
This is an old request.

6 Likes

I canā€™t imagine it would be that much effort for Roon to accommodate - add a track rating field to the database, include it in Roonā€™s focus capability allowing users to enter a range that translates to >= x and <= y.

Add support for importing track ratings from a tag. Users can use a tagger to rename or copy a tag to the tag name that Roon chooses to use.

Cā€™mon guys, how many years must users wait for basic capability that enhances the utility they derive from Roon?

6 Likes

It does seem like the first thing youā€™d do when creating a music manager.

I have to say that I agree with @evand on this one. I know that this forum is full of feature requests, but it strikes me that this one offers a tremendous improvement to Roonā€™s functionality for what I suspect is something relatively easy to implement. Do any other feature requests offer this kind of ā€œbang for your buckā€? Indeed, if you look at my post way back in February '18, I managed to utilise the Album Artist metadata field to kind of ā€œhackā€ individual track ratings into Roon. This was easy to do. Of course a fully supported implementation would be more complex, but I suspect the basic building blocks are there already.

It is also worth noting that JRiver have been making big noises recently about iTunes being phased out, and sending out emails advertising JRIverā€™s iTunes integration and the new features such as iTunes playlist import. OK, I know that Roon already supports iTunes playlist import, but if those playlists rely on individual track ratings then Roon can never offer any kind of transition from iTunes, only that it can work in tandem with iTunes. JRiver does support individual track ratings. So in terms of sweeping up potential customers moving away from iTunes, JRiver has the advantage.

I also note that this thread has been running since August 2015, over four years now. In this time there has not been one single post from the Roon team. I got told off for suggesting that this topic is being ignored, and that the ā€œRoon team read all feature requestsā€. Sorry, but it has to be said, from the perspective of a Roon subscriber, zero comment in four years is ignoring a topic.

5 Likes

Not that being the OP gives me any special authority here, but thought Iā€™d update. Iā€™ve been using Roon quite happily since 2015 without that feature. I donā€™t feel particularly ignored by the developers. I donā€™t think that 90 posts in a thread about a feature is an indicator of overwhelming support or demand. Iā€™m not a developer, I have no idea how hard or easy this would be to implement. I do know that Roon - as is - gives me more than enough tools to slice and dice my library in more ways than Iā€™ll ever have time to experience. tl;dr-would be glad to see it happen, managing just fine without it.

2 Likes

Totally but I think we get used to our work arounds and forget to think about the potentially weā€™re missing. Like how good would it be to have a global radio button that just starts playing from your whole collection but preferences song selection based on track ratings - most tracks are high stars, some low stars but then 2 out of 10 tracks are no stars and havenā€™t been played in >6months. The benefit being mostly good tracks but a few that need discovery. I have heaps of tracks iā€™ve never heard because i bought an album for 1 song. And the mix could be adjustable depending on how adventurous you were feeling.

3 Likes

Wishful thinking. Roon radio is like a city cab - you donā€™t get to pick the journey, only the pickup point.

I have just started looking at the new features in Roon 1.7. I notice there is now a ā€œROONTRACKTAGā€ feature. Just thinking aloud here, is there any way to utililise the ROONTRACKTAG feature to invoke individual track ratings in some way?

1 Like

It should work and with the right tagger it may even be possible to automate this somehow (copying from existing rating tags to ROONTRACKTAG).

3 Likes

Can i ask how you used star symbols in the tag name??!!

I copied one I liked from here:

https://www.alt-codes.net/star_alt_code.php

2 Likes

Bumpā€¦This request is super old and this should have been added by now. This is ridiculous

2 Likes