Custom track ratings

We can rate album with 5 stars (rating) but only the Favourite and Banned for tracks.
I use Itunes for several years and really like the stars rating because it give more flexibility when we create smart playlist. (Bookmark in Roon).

I really like ROON and i’m a new Lifetime subscriber and I was surprise we cannot rate tracks with a 5 stars (rating).

Hope we will get it soon !

Thanks

7 Likes

I think it’s time to resurrect this feature. Hope your request is approved.

In the meantime, there are some workarounds (search for stars or rating) that work sort of.

1 Like

I would take a look here:
(Although it is a little depressing no note that the linked thread was started in 2015, and not one word from Roon on the topic. I would have thought that in four and a half years they could perhaps find the time mention something?)

3 Likes

The first rule of Roon Labs is: read, but never comment on Feature Requests.

They have been known to comment very occasionally, but it’s rarer than hens teeth. :grinning:

3 Likes

The second rule is: ignore! :innocent:

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. In my defense it’s hard to classify 5 years or so unanswered (one way or another) feature requests otherwise…

6 Likes

Room Team, +1 for custom track rating.

I am a lifetime member, you don’t have to count my vote, or even respond.

But we know you are reading this and it’s not a good look with so many posts and no acknowledgement from you at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for Track Ratings. Just make it read-only if you don’t want to modify files. Easy feature to implement.

3 Likes

I just spent one of my votes on this feature request for custom track ratings, so I should at least voice my opinion:

Custom track ratings are the only thing I really miss about itunes–the older versions, anyway. Somehow, all the thousands of individual track ratings I made starting 20 years ago got wiped by Apple a couple years ago during one of the dumbed-down version upgrades of itunes (“Music”, or whatever). I finally jumped ship for a Roon lifetime membership. I’d be more than willing to “re-rate” my whole itunes collection (mainly, 1000+ ripped CDs I own) in Roon…if it was possible. It might take a couple years, but hell yeah. It would make Roon perfect for me. And apparently there are quite a few others who feel the same. How hard can it be?? Apple did it…why can’t Roon??

6 Likes

Good question Tim
I am new here, so not sure is there really a good answer somewhere along the timeline of this?
My guess not

Track ratings and smart playlist are the 2 things I miss most in Roon.

Although not all tracks in my library have been rated, a significant amount are. The ratings form the basis for a day to day smart playlist I have on Apple Music. The smart playlist would take into consideration the last time a track was played before including it back in the playlist. The higher the track rating, the sooner the track was allowed back in the playlist. For example 5 star tracks would be included 2 weeks after being played, whereas a 1 star track would only be allowed in after a year. New unrated tracks with a play count lower than 3 would be allowed back in faster than tracks which had a higher play count. Skips would count against a track and bump them. I would play the playlist in a random order to avoid hearing the same tracks in the same order over and over. I guess you could say this way my own tweaked “radio”.

1 Like

I am aware that this thread was started in 2015, but I really hope you are working on this topic. I newly switched from another solution to roon and sorely miss the possibility of track ratings and smart playlists

It’s unbelievable that this hasn’t been implemented yet. Considering how intricate Roon is generally, I was shocked when I realized I could only rate albums, not songs. I love everything else about Roon and I was thinking about moving from Plex until I realized this feature was non-existant. I listen to new albums at work all day long with Plexamp and I always rate the songs to be able to go back and check which ones I enjoyed the most, and most important of all, being able to create smart playlists from all the songs rated 4.5-5!! This feature is God-sent.

Please, make this feature happen. Roon would be perfect with it, but as of now I can’t make the switch. And I know lots of people who also found this a deal-breaker. What have you got to lose by implementing a track rating system? It can’t be that hard. I mean, you already have it for albums (which makes this all the more confusing).

1 Like

I used to have the same thoughts, and while I would love this to be implemented, I simply use Tags now to rate my individual tracks.

This feature has been requested in 2019 we are now 2024, since we got tons of so-called improvements we do not need, not this one so many people really need.

If they do, then they should vote. Only 17 people seem to have voted so far.

2 Likes

I used to use iTunes and I liked it because you can built playlists with songs you can divide with stars from 1 to 5.

5 stars beautiful songs, 4stars Very Nice but not so good as 5,…. ,1 star still Nice but not so good.

Here in Roon I miss it a lot… (you can chose from Heart on, Heart off and no Heart) I’m a life time member but I don’t know if will stay if that doesn’t change.

You guy’s built a beautiful program but here I would think about it… You listen to an album but not all the songs give you the same listen emotion. It would be Nice if you give us more space to do our own thing.

1 Like

Use tags. Really, no difference between iTunes star ratings and tags.

1 Like

Thnx for the reply but can I import the stars for itunes also? Because I have over 4000 songs ….
Greetings koen

I believe you can import playlists. So you can put your star ratings into playlists and then import those into roon. And then tag all the songs in the playlists accordingly.

Ridiculous that individual track ratings haven’t been implemented yet. It’s probably been the most requested feature for close to ten years and nothing.