Database Not Recognized

Roon Nucleus
Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Verizon Wifi

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

USB into pre-amp
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
External 1TB SSD hard drive (Samsung T5)

Description Of Issue
Everything was working fine yesterday. This morning I turned off the Nucleus and removed the external hard drive (Samsung) to plug it into my iMac and add more songs. I added them into a sub-folder called “Wav test” because I wanted to compare playback of tracks in Apple Lossless versus Wav. It seemed to load properly on the Mac. Then I plugged the Samsung back into the Nucleus and turned it on. Now my Roon program (on an iPad) is totally unable to recognize the Samsung or any tracks. At first I was able to “open” the program, but all of the playlists etc. were in light grey and none of the tracks registered. I rebooted the iPad, and now the Roon program won’t open at all. It just says “There was an issue loading your database.”

I should mention a couple other things. Yesterday I did pretty much the exact same thing, adding the Wav tracks and creating a Wav playlist and it worked fine. Today not only do no tracks play, as mentioned already, but the Wav playlist disappeared.

A couple points to help you troubleshoot the problem while you’re waiting for help from @support, whom I have just tagged for you.

Your Roon program on the iPad is just a Remote. It has nothing to do with recognizing your drive or the music on the drive. That would be the function of Core on the Nucleus…

This message is about your Roon library, not any music files you might have updated. It seems you are conflating Roon’s library with your music files, but they are two different things.

The message almost always indicates a problem with Roon’s library (database) and probably will only be solved by a Roon library Restore. Hope you have backups.

@support will offer more help, so don’t do anything drastic until then.

Thank you. A couple more things I note. The green light on the right side of the ethernet cable is continuously flashing. Don’t know if that is normal or not. Also, it says no audio devices found, not even my iPad. Haven’t heard from Support yet. Should I go ahead and do a library restore? Is that done by going into scheduled backups, clicking View, then 3 dots, then clean/restore?

How are you getting the message about ‘no audio devices found’? If it’s from another device then it appears as though your Ethernet connection is OK.

Sounds like a corrupted library.

You should wait for support to have their say. They’ll probably be along today.

You can speed things up by telling support about your system. Follow the directions here.
You don’t need to make a new thread, just add a post in this thread.

Yes

“No audio devices found” appears at the bottom of the screen on my iPad when I open the Roon program. Re my system, Roon Nucleus with Roon version 1.7; also version 1.7 on my iPad. Verizon internet, hooked up by ethernet cable to wall outlet. Roon Nucleus uses USB to go into McIntosh C2700 pre-amp; also have McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Roon Nucleus also connects by HDMI to Anthem AVM60 sound processor, which goes into Anthem MCA525 amplifier. Music is stored on 1Terabyte Samsung T5 external hard drive, going into the Nucleus by USB. No streaming service.

OK, gotcha. My vote is for a corrupted library. Let’s see what support makes of it.

Good luck.

Hi @Alan_Wishnoff,

Thanks for reaching out!

Missing audio devices is generally not a good sign, and if you have also seen the message of “there was an issue loading your database”, it is very likely that corruption has occurred.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. You can use these instructions to do so:

• Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • Restore from backup at least a week before issues started

If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database.

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

Thank you for your response. I was able to follow the first step about stopping the Roonserver. However, I cannot seem to find how to navigate to the Roon database location.

I clicked on the link and did what it says on my computer, an iMac, but when I brought up library there’s nothing in there about Roon or Roon database. That’s probably because I don’t use the iMac to operate the nucleus, and I’ve never downloaded the app to the iMac. I have been running it on my iPad. I’m not sure how I would navigate to the Roon database on the iPad. When I go into the Roon program, it doesn’t load anything. I would therefore appreciate further assistance on this. Thank you. Alan

Noris, I don’t mean to be a pest or antsy, but I’ve had a number of smaller problems where I received swift multiple responses, and none of them were as serious as this, in which I cannot play a single one of my approximately 10,000 tracks, the sole purpose of course of having the Nucleus. Since this does seem somewhat complicated a fix, perhaps you could call me and walk me through it on the phone. You can email me at and I can give you my cell number. Thanks. Alan

Norris,
To bring you up to date,I essentially followed your advice, I believe. I was able to restore a week-old backup in the Roon program on my iMac. However, I still can’t get in to my iPad, which is what I use to run the Nucleus. The iPad, when I turn on Roon now, gives me the Lost Connection! window. It, and someplace else, suggested I configure the “other device” (I assume my iMac) to accept Remote Connections, but I don’t see that option in Settings on the iMac, or on the Lost Connection! window on the iPad. I feel that I’m close–the library is restored on the iMac. Now if I can just get the iPad to be accepted. It’s strange that my iMac can see the nucleus but my iPad, which has seen it since february, can’t. Would it make sense to simply delete the Roon app from the iPad and reload it? Thanks again.

Hi @Alan_Wishnoff,

Thanks for the update here, it does sound like you are on your way towards getting this issue resolved!

Just to confirm here, Roon is working properly on the iMac and under Roon Settings -> General, you see the Nucleus listed as the Core?

Since you have set up the new database, you will also need to point the iPad to it.

If you are seeing a “Searching for Core” screen, I would try clicking on “Select a different Core” on that page and then re-selecting the Nucleus from the list.

Once you do that, you should be all set. If you are still having difficulties, a screenshot of what you see on the iPad would be helpful. Thanks!

Thanks Noris. I did the select a different core and that did the trick.

1 Like

Happy to hear that you resolved the issue @Alan_Wishnoff!
If you ever need any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.