Day 14 Music Challenge!

OK Music Lovers! Happy Good Friday and the beginning of your Easter weekend. The album for today is Andrew Lloyd Webber’s rock opera:

RoonShareImage-637221021761713970

Side note: I first saw this live at 10 years old, put on by a local college. They tried to be true to this version and I was entirely blown away. I’ve seen it several times since, mostly the version with Ted Neely as Jesus mic’d since he doesn’t have the singing ability of Ian Gillan (Deep Purple fame). Nothing, in my opinion, compares to this version. The production is a little rough, but I am still drawn in by the guitar riffs, the shear intensity of Ian’s singing, the tortured pleas of Murray Head (Judas - also One Night in Bangkok), and the eerie plotting of the priests.

This note isn’t intended to influence your opinion. You don’t have to like the album. I simply felt like adding my 2 cents this AM.

• Love it! (5 stars)
  • Meh…(3 stars)
  • Not interested (1 star)

0 voters

Have a great weekend with your family! I’ll continue to post over the weekend. Yesterday’s vote is still here: Day 13

I gave it a 3 since it’s no Tommy or Hair. However like Hair, JCS is much more of musical than Tommy.

I’m a little biased against musicals since I grew up with an older brother who absolutely loved Broadway musicals. Do you have any idea how much damage can be done to a teenage boy growing up in Brooklyn, NY in the 1960s/1970s who had to listen to Funny Girl over and over? I’m afraid that I may have been scarred for life :rofl:

But everything may have balanced out because my younger brother loved heavy metal so I also heard my fair share of Black Sabbath and Grand Funk Railroad. As for me, I went to Grateful Dead shows and then discovered electric Miles Davis.

1 Like

My elder brother loved this so I’m biased against.

2 Likes

I wonder if we would have the same bias if had been an older sister who loved JCS?

1 Like

My older sister has better taste.

1 Like

Whilst I’d likely enjoy a live theatrical performance I can’t say I cared for this much. I find Godspell more engaging.

Don’t like ALW musicals one jot. Make me heave :smiley: