Day 20 Music Challenge! Audiophile Double Header!

OK Music Lovers! I know I said I’d restrict bonus days to weekends, but c’mon, it’s Day 20! These two albums are both widely recognized as audiophile level recordings. The first is the 1977 recording from a pawnshop in Stockholm Sweden.

RoonShareImage-637226181775531120

This album has become popular of late and there are multiple versions. I suggest you limit your listen to the original album (sometimes shown as vol. 1). Nine songs ending in Stuffy.

Vote here:

• Lovin’ it! (5 stars)
  • Meh…(3 stars)
  • No more jazz! (1 star)

0 voters

The second feature is UK’s David Gray and his White Ladder album from 1998. Recording perfection has been attributed to this album…but you be the judge!

• Brilliant! (5 stars)
  • Meh…(3 stars)
  • I don’t get it (1 star)

0 voters

Finally, if you haven’t yet voted on Harry Manx, find it here: Day 19

Stay safe everyone!

Don’t need to listen to JatPS as I know it so well. I must say David Gray is one of those artists I have never had any interest in listening to but given it’s been nominated I will give it an honest airing…

Ok so the David Gray. As I say not one not an artist I’d ever dream of listening to but it’s actually it’s not bad. Not convinced I’ll listen to any more of his albums but not the abomination I was expecting. Actually quite enjoyed it.

Okay, first up for me is Jazz At the Pawnshop … listening to the opener Limehouse Blues I’m thinking my dad would love this. You make think that’s a good thing. It isn’t.

I can’t deny that it’s a lovely recording, but I’m afraid I can’t get over those cringe-worthy memories, and the fact that it’s a tad dull. I spent hours with my late father-in-law listening to the big bands–I’d put on Ted Heath and he’d say “That’s Roy Wilcox on clarinet” and I’d check the liner and he’d be correct. I’ll happily play some hard-bop, but this seems to be an evolutionary dead end.

I’m giving this a generous three stars. My picks: the energetic High Life and Barbados.

No need to endure the absolute torture of having to listen to JATPS again. This way over rated recording is the single biggest reason why audiophile top recordings lists are totally worthless. I would rather listen to the worst sounding release of any Duke Ellington recording than this lifeless third rate rehash of swing-less jazz. Minus 10 stars (and I’m being very, very generous). By the way being able to hear the patrons glasses clinking does not make it a good recording although the crowd noise does help to distract one from the abysmal music and playing.

I will listen to the David Gray tomorrow.

1 Like

White Ladder is still an outstanding album twenty-or-so years on (and wow, it’s sounds even better with my new speakers.) Although it captures a moment in time it isn’t dated. It seems to be one of those albums where everything clicked into place at the right time for the artist. Maybe the same optimism is what we need in today’s strange times?

Not bad for an album put together on a budget in a bedroom. My picks are Babylon, This Years Love and Say Hello Wave Goodbye.