Denafrips DAC users

The T+ has left the building. It won’t be back unless I win a lottery, as the delta cost over my lumin D1 is not justified by the difference in the sound produced.

It does have a lovely mid bass sound but does depend on the source material too, that said I personally prefer a little more brightness due to age related hearing deficiencies more than anything.

Those that listened to the 2 playing in A/B operation all said that without the A/B they would be more than happy with either but the rounder/fuller mid bass they liked the T+ a little more.

2 Likes

Really helpful info. Thanks for posting this.

Hey guys,

Just discovered this thread. Enjoy the music with DENAFRIPS DAC!

Cheers,
Alvin Chee
Owner of Vinshine Audio

11 Likes

Welcome Alvin!

Must get over to the showroom now we are not so locked down…looking nice there @VinshineAudio

Anyone notice the bottles of whiskey in the Rack. Must have been a good listening session :blush:

I have a Denafrips Venus myself but tempted by a Terminator

Each Denafrips DAC model offers a great deal, and each is cost effective. The Terminator attracted me. If it is do-able, you will not regret getting the Terminator.

The Jay’s Audio CD transport is also associated with Vinshine Audio, and you will not be disappointed in its implementation of red book CDs. Indeed, you can pair the Terminator with The CD Transport via i2s if you so desire. That’s what we did.

1 Like

Finally Ares II in plugged into the system. BUT Roon not detecting it! looks like it needs 5V USB supplied from NUC which i believe NUC does sends power too!

I tried playing some records from my laptop after driver installation. well before installation, the track could be played on Ares from laptop! after driver installation well no issues too. i m able to play tracks from my laptop.

any BKMs ? (Best Known Methods) ?

Sorted :). I had to enable the device. However Denafrips DACs are still not on the Roon List correct ?

Correct. The NUC is essentially your end point. What occurs after that doesn’t matter to Roon.

1 Like

I asked Alvin Chee at Vinshine Audio about getting Denafrips equipment certified as Roon Tested. Here’s his response:

“Thank you for your email.

Roon contacted us on the certification program. We will work on it to get it done. But I figured it may take a while before it will be fully tested.“

So in the meantime, Roon treats Denafrips as just a dumb DAC and as noted by John above, Roon doesn’t really care about what the Nucleus or NUC is plugged into in this scenario.

1 Like

The Denafrips range like many other DAC’s just operate as normal everyday DAC when connected to an end point. One thing that might be lacking in these endpoints is the ability to use the higher rate DSD and PCM options that are available with the newer Denafrips USB boards.

@VinshineAudio maybe Alvin can give some info on how to tackle this issue as units like Ropieee, Sonore, SOtM etc etc don’t seem to be able to manage these settings like DSD1024… then again nor does Roon seem seem to support this that I have seen upsampling wise @Danny ?

Must ask a friend about his Terminator with Limin U1… @wklie Peter have you tried?

To my knowledge DSD1024 is achievable only via HQPlayer, but I could be wrong.

I’ve recently discussed with Alvin. I think there is a reasonable chance that Lumin already support USB native DSD output (U1 MINI: DSD256, U1 / T2 / X1: DSD512) to Denafrips. However, this compatibility needs to be tested.

Please ask him to try DSD256 or DSD512 with latest Lumin firmware 13.2.

Unfortunately I just see he is using U1 Mini but will ask around as others might have U1

Peter can the T2 S1 X1 have a (maybe 2) USB DAC connected to stream too? Or did I read that the wrong way?

Please ask him to try DSD256 output to Denafrips, using stereo DSD256 music files free from 2L website, or Roon DSP engine, or Audirvana.

T2 X1: Yes (choose between analog / BNC-SPDIF / USB output to one DAC).
S1 A1 T1 D2 D1: No USB audio output (analog and BNC-SPDIF only)

Well that’s something that is not well described on the product pages, but certainly interesting - maybe a T2 might be in my future one day too then :slight_smile: Pity there bis only one USB output option on the T2 tho I just noticed.

The D1/2 BNC-SPDIF is selectable or fixed to the same output as the Analogue connects I assume

Just received my Terminator Plus. I have it connected to my Nuc8i5 with ROCK software. I can’t seem to find the setting for up sampling to DSD. How do I do this? Thanks for the help.

Did you have the original Terminator? Alvin Chee says the oversampling occurs when you turn off the NOS button/light.

I have the Plus version. I am not using the NOS setting.