Denafrips DAC users

If you mean for the Terminator to upsample DSD, per the manual DSD is not upsampled.

2 Likes

@xxx is correct. He is always on top of things (that’s what she sa…). Curious as to why you want to oversample the file(s).

Ha, I only know because I’ve been seriously considering a T+ connected to a Gaia via I2S.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. What I’m looking for is for my Roon ROCK to up sample files to dsd.

I’m also waiting for my Gaia to arrive. So far, the Terminator Plus is an end game DAC for me. Sold my Direststream. In my system, the TP is much better than the DS in terms of details, 3d imaging, smoothness, and naturalness of the sound.

1 Like

Good to hear. How are you feedng the Gaia?

You need to set DSP to upsample DSD.

Still waiting for the Gaia. I don’t have the enable DSD toggle. As you can see from my previous screen shot, the DSD button is missing.

Sorry, I don’t see a problem.

You have the device setup for DSD Native and a max DSD rate of DSD512.

You need to enable DSP, so that you can tell Roon how you want to upsample.

Here’s how I do it -

Ignore the specifics of the screen I posted before. That was if you wanted to upsample everything, PCM included, to some DSD rate.

Thanks Slim. Here’s my screen capture. I can toggle the DSD up sample but no other setting.

Are you using a phone screen to do that? If so, that’s the problem.

There isn’t enough real estate.

It might work if your turn the screen horizontal. Better if you use a Mac or PC or even a tablet.

1 Like

Thank you Slim! You were right. For some strange reason, the phone screen didn’t show all the options. One my Mac, all the DSD upsample options are there. Thank you.

1 Like

Just got the same dac as you👍 But why do you go through an Allo and not strait from Roon Nucleus to dac? Due to sound, location or?

Roon highly recommends separating the core from output to a DAC via a network connected endpoint due to potential noise from the heavy work being done on the core polluting the sensitive audio equipment. Its a matter of whether the DAC used is immune to such things or personal preference I guess. Some hear the difference others don’t.

Thanks for reply, just wonder if you were able to spot a difference?

For me it was basically a location issue. I didn’t have space for the Nucleus+ on the rack. And based on conversations with others, there was concern about potential “electrical noise” from the Nucleus. As stated above, some people hear it, others don’t. I am having a new rack built which has more space and it will allow me to eliminate the streamer if I want to. I have hooked up the Nucleus+ directly to the DAC just as an experiment and I didn’t hear any difference, but I also wasn’t doing critical listening. I plan to play around with it once the new rack is in place. I’ll let you know if I hear any difference. And, of course, for the price of the Allo and Shanti LPS, you can always buy an LPS for the core to help eliminate (more or less) the possibility of electrical noise form the core.

I think it’s all about what YOU hear. Everyone has their own opinions on this issue and some will vehemently push one side or the other. If you are happy with the sound with the core directly attached to the DAC, then don’t go chasing solutions for a problem that, for you, doesn’t exist. It can be a slippery slope.

I am thinking of entering the Denafrips eco-system.

Probably like this -

Core ==(USB)==>Gaia==(I2S)==>Terminator Plus

2 Likes

Slim did you consider just the Terminator Plus without the Gaia first to see how the combo sounds before spending the extra $$$?

Haven’t bought either yet. Those purchases need to be planned, financially speaking. :smirk:

I am going to feed the Gaia from my Core machine, which is in the cellar directly below my setup.
And I want to try the I2S, for yucks.

Do you have a T+?

Did you catch Guttenberg’s vid? He likes the old Terminator better, but I perceive him to be somewhat of a Luddite, in this case liking the tried and true over the newer.

I recently got the Iris DDC and tried it with some AES inputs no some DACs I have. Now its being tried out on the Terminator using I2S-C input at a friends place.

Also just picked a Denafrips Hestia Preamp to have a play with and a Singxer SDA-1 Hifi DAC that also can support I2S input.

Always fun to try these things and see what makes them so popular. Alvin at Vinshine is always ready to support his represented products - known him many years.

So, what do you think of the products? They get fantastic reviews.

1 Like