Devialet: Transport: Device in Use

Very good point about static IP _ my router configuration shows fixed IP address but Devialet shows otherwise. Given that I have re-booted the current firmware update twice together with the router my IP address for the Devialet has stayed the same. I think that does not have much functionality at this stage (for example you still have to use the SD card rather uploading the firmware directly (I tried and I had issues opening the files and saving it).

Hi - Res Recordings

The other you need to be aware of is the hi-res files at 192k - this issue is noted in their latest beta release notes - to avoid the crackling sound issue I have amended the Max Sample rate in Roon (playback settings for Devialet Expert in Roon) to 96khz and it has removed the issue and sounds the same (I think because Devialet upsamples it 192k (but you will get the green dot as Roon does both bit depth and Sample rate conversion). I think this a short term solution until they fix it hopefully in their next release.

Am glad you got the unit up and running - must be a relief.

John

I respect your position and I can absolutely see the basis of your argument.

I suppose with beta testing (for example in Kodi for video) I rarely participate until the final release but that argument does not really have currency here as the software is open source and free. I do think Devialet need to educate their dealers around the world about network and software sensitivities so a prospective client like you and me can make an informed decision. I am thinking of purchasing another Devialet but am going to wait until I am satisfied the software uogrades matches my needs (like Hi - Res and like issues noted in their beta release).

Given the local dealer was incompetent in providing advice I made sure that I attended my dealerā€™s premises so I could meet with the Devialet engineer who was upgrading the CI for my unit - I made sure I got his email etc and having that has been useful giving me context on how on and what their thinking is behind the upgrade. Also queried how I could integrate it within my network. This has been very useful as I could communicate with him directly without going through usual customer service which provides stock standard ā€œcookbook menuā€ replies . Overall my experience with them in Paris has been very helpful but has been on my initiative.

Also having been involved in my business undertaking software development and employing coders - it is very challenging to make sure the coders has the right spec from a client needs - bad specs will result bad codes full of bugs - I am not talking audio engineering and software coding - in my case was coding in financial services which involved data mining and algorithms way more simpler than what Devialet is trying to do.

However I am happy to leave this issue as nicely put by you (as done with political debates) to agree to disagree. As stated earlier I fully respect your position given the capital outlay and expectations you had which was the basis of your decision matrix to buy the unit. Your argument is imminently reasonable in my view.

I do hope now that you can go back to enjoying listening to music without interruptions :blush:

Rash

Understand youā€™re situation is different than mine, therefore we both have differing views (nothing wrong with that).

For us in Perth, Australia, we only had a 2 day window (3rd / 4th April) to have our amps upgraded, with this being carried out at a local dealer. When I took my amps in for the upgrade I got a chance to talk to Olivier the Devialet technician who was doing the upgrades. Nice guy, but he couldnā€™t say much I didnā€™t already know (appreciate he was restrained due to Devialet employee confidentiality).

Got my amps home after the upgrade and then the problems started. No problems previously using Roon with my Proā€™s (after the Roon Air upgrades), but now numerous issues. Also having problems with my Sub not playing as it did previously (wouldnā€™t trigger on), so this one not down to Network ā€˜nigglesā€™ like Roon / Spotify / Airplay.

2 days after the upgrades completed in Perth Olivier left Devialet (to pursue other avenues), so the only person I could speak to directly left Devialet. Now Iā€™m back to having to use Devialet customer service, and getting the standard PR bulldust.

Iā€™ve been emailing Mathieu Pernot (Devialet Chief Engineer), but only getting limited replies and info. Was hoping that this would be an improvement, but the info gained here on Roon forum and via Devialetchat is 100 times more info Iā€™m getting from Devialet direct. Itā€™s great that all you and others can help with advice, but really is a major downfall that Devialet themselves canā€™t help.

Olivier Pacteau (Director of Customer Experience and Quality at Devialet) has been especially a major disappointment regarding feedback. He is the Olivier who writes (infrequently) on the Devialet Core Infinity logs, but hasnā€™t replied to any of his customers comments and itā€™s now been over 2 weeks and nothing. If thatā€™s how Devialet think theyā€™re going to improve their ā€˜Customer Experienceā€™, as Olivier is the Director of that department then he really is an extremely bad example to the employees who report to him (maybe thatā€™s why Devialet are so bad if heā€™s the one in charge of Customer Experience - enough said).

I myself work as a Quality Manager, and previous Project I worked on was a $50Billion Gas Plant Project for Chevron here in Australia. If I had acted the way Olivier does then I wouldnā€™t have lasted long in my job.

Ok, rant over.

Going back to the title of this thread, I swapped over my amps from Master to Companion & vice versa, I havenā€™t had the ā€œTransport: Device In Useā€ error since. Now it may be that something had happened to my Master amp during the CI upgrade, where the Companion was ok (my amps are actually 2 x 250Proā€™s so both actually Masters, but have to assign one a Companion for 1000Pro config set-up). Realise this wonā€™t help others, but if some have a mono set-up itā€™s something else to try, on top of your suggestion to set static IP address for the amp.

Hope you have a good weekend :+1:

Cheers
John

Mate - totally understand and agree Devialet are not very good on IT network infrastructure in a general sense. Btw to get the Subs not working was my second issue - I used the remote to change configuration (tone button) from 2.0 to 2.1 - viola I got the sub working. I get your point on the team not being as network aware and I do accept your frustrations. I suppose I have been on the other side releasing new platform software and I have had issues

So, one way to avoid ā€œTransport: Device in Useā€ error is to set a fixed IP address to the Devialet?

Rash

My amps have always been set to ā€˜Sub/PreOut Onā€™ at start-up, so no need for me to change from 2.0 to 2.1 (2.1 is the default when powering up).

Appreciate software can be a mind field, and that trying to get the bugs sorted is as much fun as wading through treacle, but itā€™s the lack of communication that exasperates the situation. Not asking Devialet to hang out their dirty washing for all to see, but a small bit of transparency, and regular communication would certainly help.

Tategoi

Not saying itā€™s 100% full proof, but at present is working for me (also swapping Master & Companion around, but thatā€™s no good for anyone with a single Pro :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

Cheers
John

Hi John

Unfortunately, Iā€™ve set my Devialet on a fixed IP since day one and I am still facing this issue.

I have a pair of mono but I canā€™t swap Master - Companion :pensive:

Tategoi

Iā€™ve got 2 x 250Proā€™s for my 1000Pro so I can swap Master/Companion if required. That was probably just a coincidence, and at the same time doing the fixed IP address.

Hope you get something sorted soon.

Cheers
John

I had the default with the sub set at 2.1 but after the factory config (and after inserting the SD config) card I had issues getting the sub configuration as per my original settings - so I did both the firmware and my config settings from scratch and worked the second time. Now no issues to date apart from 192k hi res files which as mentioned before I am now using Roon to mitigate the crackling noise until Devialet issues their next update.

Btw my next step that I am contemplating was to purchase the master / companion Devialet or like solution to replace my Musical Fidelity pre/ power amp in my media centre - but will wait to see how the software upgrades go - I do like the sound as compared to some of the other brands in the same price bracket.

Anyways am glad you are now sorted!

John

Just be aware that the ā€œTransport: Device in useā€ may pop up again (Devialet have acknowledged same in their beta release notes) - it happened to me this morning when I was playing around with 192k files so I just reset the Dev to factory configuration settings without the SD card, rebooted my NUC / Rock and now all is back to normal. I think the error results if Roon loses primacy over the other inputs / or Devialet is in a loop and the other only way to remove the issue is to reset the device

I do not think the fixed IP address is the main issue here - I think it is more to do with your Devialet being available within your network (as in being able to ping itā€™s IP address) with the latest firmware as mentioned above.

I am able to ping the IP of my Devialet. I have no issue controlling the volume of the Devialet via iOS app when playing phono. It is always available but with ā€œTransport: Device in useā€ error.

I would power down, run the factory config settings, re boot Roon and it should work - it works every time for me. Sounds like Devialet is in a loop and needs a hard reboot.

Yeah, I did what you have suggested and every few days I need to repeat it all over again. But Roon and Devialet are not supposed to work in this manner.

Unfortunately It is a bug in the Devialet software which is mentioned in their latest release notes. Usually I just power off the Devialet and sometimes this does the trick. Rebooting and letting Roon take control - itā€™s rather simple in my setup - rebooting both the NUC / Rock and Devialet takes less than 5 minutes.

I have this issue sometimes also. The only thing that fixes it is to physically unplug the devialet and plug it back in. I donā€™t believe the bug is in roon.

The quickest way to get rid of error _ I find I eject the Config SD card ( donā€™t remove it altogether as it can be painful re-inserting in its awkward slot) , unplug the Devialet for 10 seconds - once powered it runs the factory config ( in the latest firmware) , turn off power with remote , press the SD Config card and then start Devialet up via Roon. This process takes me a couple of minutes.

If I am really lazy switch the input to from AIR to usb via Microrendu :blush:

Devialet has just released itā€™s latest DOS and firmware (DOS 2.2.2 + FW 12.3.0) and claims it fixes the ā€œTransport: Device In Useā€ error.

You can find the new download by logging in to your Devialet account and going to Expert Configurator.

1 Like

Did it fix it for you?