Dirac SDK raises hopes Dirac can be integrated in Roon!

People from Dirac as well as Roon were telling me. Hopefully Corona didn‘t have a negative impact on that.

1 Like

Great news!

That would be great news indeed! I’m currenntly using Dirac 1.2.

Now there is a problem! Roon could do this easily (and does it today), but Dirac is licensing per device or setup so in the current model you’d have to buy a Dirac license for each endpoint you want correction for. It’s easy to solve of course, but Dirac must be willing to find a solution.

This alone, would be worth the price of admission for Roon. The options for Dirac + Roon are currently very very limited

Danny did say to be very patient, a few years ago.

Wow that is already such a long time ago! Demand for room correction also for 2.0 setups has steadily increased. Really hope they make a progress finally.

There’s no reason at all to care for any specific brand of room correction, be it Dirac or any other: I’d personally rather Roon work with Illusonic or Trinnov, but, well… If you want Dirac, your best bet is probably to do what @flak suggested, and either get a MiniDSP device or a windows-based endpoint.

It’s already very feasible to do room correction in Roon, thanks to its very good convolution engine. It is clearly not automated and"plug and play" as Dirac is, but very good results can be achieved with a microphone + either Acourate or (edited) Audiolense (costs money), REW/Rephase (free) or Home Audio Fidelity service.

The latter has my favors because it’s very advanced (more than Dirac on some aspects), and the easiest solution available today without Dirac integration. NB: measurements have finally been made easy with their latest Measurement Tool

1 Like

Oh, yes, absolutely agree - I was thinking of the all-in-one, GUI type approaches. Then there’s of course @Magnus’s great step-by-step for those who don’t mind getting their hands dirty.

I fully agree we do not need Dirac. I’ve used Audiolense for many years. First with Brutefir, then Roon. Roon’s convolution engine works very well with filters made in Audiolense. Even if Roon gets an arrangement for using filters from Dirac I wouldn’t switch, but Dirac may be easier to use for newcomers to room correction, and I suppose many Roon users own Dirac already.

I’m with you on Dirac’s ease of use, but let’s not assume none of the alternatives can be set up relatively easily by the end user. If I’m not mistaken, Trinnov doesn’t have as steep of a learning curve as Accourate AFAIK.

Other than learning to set things up, which yes, is something, financially, this’d matter only if Dirac chose to make the Roon option part of their existing product. I’m not a user, and I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t believe a MiniDSP Dirac license works for Windows works for Emotiva works for NAD.

Ahh, a screwed money scheme! Forcing new licenses for new platforms. In my view a license is a license. If I decide to go from one platform to another I’d expect to be able to move my license. I would of course accept a single license to work only on the intended device after it’s been moved.

EDIT: To put it a little differently: if I own a Windows or Mac Dirac install it should be possible to use it with any of the hardware devices out there

For anybody playing at home, Audiolense is great too. Easier to use than Acourate (I think) but still lots of features/functions.

I gotta spend some more time with Acourate though.

I had forgotten Audiolense (a good tool) and have edited my post above.
Also forgot to mention regarding the HAF measurement tool:

• it’s free,
  • no need to buy their room correction services, the files generated are standard impulse responses that can be edited and visualized in REW for example (drag and drop files in REW window)
  • much less overwhelming than REW measurement tool for beginners, and faster with one pass stereo measurements and autosave
  • measurement sweep file (provided) Is played from Roon remote, no need to change anything in your audio chain. The measurement can be done with any laptop (Mac/Windows).
3 Likes

Audiolense sounds promising - but only Windows version. That’s not state of the art in these days. Makes it unusable for me because I’ve only Macs around me.

Acourate is Win10 only also but both of those are considered by many as ‘state of the art’.

Obviously definitely would be nice to have a macOS version like Dirac.

I guess if enough people ask Audiolense and Acourate it may happen but perhaps not enough have asked.

I use Win10 on my Mac via Bootcamp, to use Audiolense.

Though let‘s not forget - this thread is about Dirac :wink:
Sure there are some other capable solutions out there too and I would love to see Roon providing a decent room correction at all anytime soon.

1 Like

A simpler approach utilizing Roon Convolution would be most welcome. Especially for folks like me that are not familar with how to use this feature. I have read some of the instructions and got lost quick.

It would be perfectly fine if it was third party or an additional offering from Roon. A package that contained all the mic(s), “dumbed” down processes and instructions similar to what Dirac offers. Frankly that would be better, roon expanding on convolution. Also an additional revenue stream for them.

This post is directed at Roon:

A simpler approach, similar to Dirac, utilizing Roon Convolution would be most welcome. Especially for folks like me that are not familar with how to use this feature. I have read some of the instructions and got lost quick.

It would be perfectly fine if it was third party or an additional offering from Roon. A package that contained all the mic(s), “dumbed” down processes and instructions similar to what Dirac offers. Frankly that would be better, roon expanding on convolution. Also an additional revenue stream for them.

3 Likes