Disappearing Experts

At one point, I, too, had the Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch. It worked fine at times but I had the same problem as you with the connection to Roon being lost. I made a switch – no pun intended – to the etherREGEN and its 100 mbps connection to the Devialet. Problem solved. Not saying you will have the same success but it worked for me.

Someone else suggested to put a 100mbps cable between my router and the Bonn switch. Could be a cheaper option. But ideally want to be sure first this is the problem :grin:

1 Like

Did you install the latest DOS version from Devialet, released a couple of months ago?
They made some great improvements to the networking part and it fixed all my problems.
Both WiFi and ethernet work fine since the DOS update.

There is no such thing and the cable itself does not determine the data transmission rate. You may however be able to limit the connection at the router port to 100mbps via its config page (if it has that capability), but generally with switches, they need to be of the managed variety to set ports to a specific speed. Managed switches are not recommended for use with Roon unless you really know how to configure them.
Alternatively, make sure you use a 10/100 switch to connect the Expert with. This will limit the speed.

You can limit the connection to 100mpbs with a cable. I have such a cable for a test now.

That non-standard cable costs 445 Euros! A 10/100 switch is less than a tenth of that. Why would you bother?

Is this available to Non Expert owners? I have not upgraded my firmware for ages as I am scared to upset things in my set up

Sound quality! Try it out for yourself. A cable like this gives amazing sound quality in comparison to a standard cable or standard switch.

There are several hundred metres of Ethernet cable in my home network (probably). To ‘try it myself’ would need a mortgage to purchase enough of that cable at those prices. Or are some connections more critical than others? Surely if the SQ has been degraded elsewhere by the standard CAT 5e in my network, then just one piece of the 445 euro cable could not possibly fix the SQ degradation, or could it?

1 Like

That is only for yourself to decide. The final prt from your switch to the receiver is the most important. Just try it with a slightly upgraded cable you can borrow from your dealer.

I am watching this thread with interest and hope you find a solution…I know how frustrating it can all be

But the wires in it are treated with “a natural oil”! Which makes me wonder, where do unnatural oils come from? :slight_smile:

Snakes :blush::blush:

3 Likes

Not quite correct. I’ve made lots of ethernet cables over the last 25 years. A 10BaseT UTP cable only uses two pairs for transmission. By omitting the blue and brown pair in the pic below (EIA 568B) only a 100mbps handshake is possible. The blue pair was often used for analog telephone. The blue and brown pair could also be used to have two separate ethernet connections over one cable. Gigabit ethernet uses all four pairs in a cable. Now, 10BaseT is many years ago so I would not be surprised to find modern network switches that doesn’t work properly with only two pairs connected.

1 Like

I was aware, but that is exactly why I didn’t suggest it and called it a non-standard cable. There has been at least one Roon user who purchased a similar over-priced cable which did not work with his network/Roon.

So i tried a lot last week:

• Different ethernet cables
  • Different switch (aslso max 100mb)
  • Factory reset of: router, devialet, switch)

Nothing seems te help. With RAAT the Devialket disappears suddenly as device and with Air i frequently get the messege “device in use”. In both cases a hard reset of the Devialet and Roon Core solves the problem bit this is getting quite frustrating.

Anybody has some suggestions? Please help :blush:

Have you tried a $29 dollar switch and $5 cable?

Some of the ‘esoteric’ stuff isn’t always up to standard. Most simple stuff is. Try connecting directly up to your provider’s router if you can. Those routers might be made cheaply but they’re made to a standard so the provider doesn’t get hammered with service calls.

1 Like

Yes i also tried cheap(er) cables, switches etc :relaxed: My providers router was in bridge mode and i used my netgear router to connect everything. Yesterday i switched and took my providers router out of the bridge mode and connected everything direct to this one. Until know things seem to work better. But i don’t want to be happy to soon :wink:

1 Like

@kraaijcheck May we assume that you have updated your D220 to the latest firmware: 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6?

Yes i did :wink:

1 Like